News Article: What did the Senators get out of trading EK65

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If that was the case, so be it. No need to smear the guy after all the exciting hockey
he gave us. Unfortunately the org created this bizarre division amongst the fanbase where a portion of the fan base completely discredits everything he did there in order to defend Melnyk/Dorion.

It isn’t smearing the player.

1. it’s responding to the anti Pd crowd around here defending a good trade. PD is constantly “smeared” around here.

2. it’s countering the idea that we can’t keep our stars. For the most part we don’t want to - and the reason is they are not worth 15% of our budget through into their late 30’s.

We all know they are elite athletes - but when they want $11.5 until they are 35+ years old that jeopardizes and sacrifices our team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
may not even get that much mileage out of stutzle as his next contract contract might be 10 mill +
No problem paying that until he’s 29. Then trade him for a nice little package of picks and prospects. Start the cycle again. Chabot already signed until he’s 28. Sign tkatchuk the same. Stutzle the same (obviously it will be staggered a bit). Stop signing depth players to long term deals. When they’re up for their next contract see ya unless you’re giving a discount.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Is it not possible the trade was made because Karlsson asked for the most money ever by a defencemen (fair enough for him to do so) and management looked at his injury history, talked to team doctors and realized that there was a good chance Karlsson would never be 100% again and maybe would never be 80% again?

I feel like we are completely ignoring Karlsson's injury history when we talk about why management wasn't willing to give him his monster contract.

Well, i can say this is a point i made many times pre trade and it certainly wasn't a popular opinion here

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Is it not possible the trade was made because Karlsson asked for the most money ever by a defencemen (fair enough for him to do so) and management looked at his injury history, talked to team doctors and realized that there was a good chance Karlsson would never be 100% again and maybe would never be 80% again?

I feel like we are completely ignoring Karlsson's injury history when we talk about why management wasn't willing to give him his monster contract.

100% accurate - but fans like to blame someone and they are not going to blame themselves or their favourite superstar who is “forced” out of town ... so easier to blame management and forget about all those realities.

Reactions: Prajna

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I am probably not alone with this thought process (I hope not), but I am actually hoping that Erik Karlsson regains his Norris trophy form and dominates for the San Jose Sharks, especially this season.

I mean if Chabot has a chance, then I would want him to win it over Karlsson but realistically I am not sure Chabot could win one just yet, so homerism aside, I am extremely content with the trade return therefore I have no problem seeing two happy sides to this story when all is said and done.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
100% accurate - but fans like to blame someone and they are not going to blame themselves or their favourite superstar who is “forced” out of town ... so easier to blame management and forget about all those realities.
Wait why would we blame ourselves for the karlsson trade lol

Reactions: Back in Black

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So, you are saying that it is perfectly ok to blame Karlsson and that blaming any other party is off limits?

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I am probably not alone with this thought process (I hope not), but I am actually hoping that Erik Karlsson regains his Norris trophy form and dominates for the San Jose Sharks, especially this season.

I mean if Chabot has a chance, then I would want him to win it over Karlsson but realistically I am not sure Chabot could win one just yet, so homerism aside, I am extremely content with the trade return therefore I have no problem seeing two happy sides to this story when all is said and done.

same. I have no ill-will towards EK65 and wish him well. I did however hype him up to the local sharks fans who have been giving me an earful about how disappointed they are with his injuries and play the last 1+ season, so I hope he gets going again. His play now has no bearing on the trade return and sharks don’t play the sens this season, so cheer away

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So, you are saying that it is perfectly ok to blame Karlsson and that blaming any other party is off limits?

Im saying it’s fine to call it as it is ... he was injured and due for a change of scenery... he also wanted Max cash including for his 30 + years. Its ridiculous to think you have to keep your injured, aging superstar at any price. The NHL isn’t a charity.

Last edited:

Oriole

Dec 28, 2018
That's not a NHL hockey team you're describing. That's a developmental team for the rest of the NHL.
It's a team that can't/won't spend to the cap finding a way to keep competitive year in and year out. I believe it can work. Not sure if this is the plan moving forward but I do know that if we decide to sign a player or two to long term mega deals and still be a budget team that we definitely won't ever win a cup unless we get really lucky. Other teams will always have more talent.

Oriole

Dec 28, 2018
again the theory is okay but thats not what the Sens were trying to do. If they did we would have Byram and a more clear plan back then. They stumbled their way through while losing value on their assets
You're 100% right. I think once the ECF run was over and they dealt for Duchene they thought he was the missing piece. After it all went to hell in a hand basket they had to change things 180 degrees. There was no saving that cluster f%*^ of a situation so they completely blew it up. All while trying to make fans think they were going to try to make it work. Cause hurt feelings.

I truly believe they wanted Stone to stick around and legitimately tried to sign him. He wanted out and I don't blame him. Man this team would look so good if he decided to stay.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well ... it’s a gate driven league . Hammering posts (about your cheap owner) on HFBoards doesn’t pay any bills.
200.gif

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I guess you can just keep pumping the narrative it’s someone else’s fault. You’ll fit in well around here . Cheers to a $1 Gat Costco Beer !
But you are pumping the narrative that it's EK's fault? Why is it ok for you but not the other way around?

This thread was dormant since October 27 and you decided to post again and bring this discussion back. You had to expect the back and forth that followed.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
But you are pumping the narrative that it's EK's fault? Why is it ok for you but not the other way around?

This thread was dormant since October 27 and you decided to post again and bring this discussion back. You had to expect the back and forth that followed.

figured 1.5 years later and seeing Stutzle, Norris and co may have changed a few peoples mind ... guess not.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
figured 1.5 years later and seeing Stutzle, Norris and co may have changed a few peoples mind ... guess not.
We've seen this story before, though. Karlsson, Stone and co. were exciting prospects before they were sold for parts. As long as the root of the problem remains in place, I don't know why we'd expect any different.

Poxsonus

Jan 24, 2016
Saskatchewan
same. I have no ill-will towards EK65 and wish him well. I did however hype him up to the local sharks fans who have been giving me an earful about how disappointed they are with his injuries and play the last 1+ season, so I hope he gets going again. His play now has no bearing on the trade return and sharks don’t play the sens this season, so cheer away
Don't the Sens still have a 2nd round pick to go, or am I mistaken?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We've seen this story before, though. Karlsson, Stone and co. were exciting prospects before they were sold for parts. As long as the root of the problem remains in place, I don't know why we'd expect any different.

I get it ... maybe one day we will generate decent revenues again to support some spending.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Need an owner that is willing to build a stadium downtown for that to happen.

Ya - I’d buy tickets too if he built a billon dollar arena downtown, eliminated all traffic, sold $2 beer, and made sure every game day was no less than 0-C. I’m all on for a solid 10 game pack if he offers $25 tickets. That should let us extend Brady right ?

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Ya - I’d buy tickets too if he built a billon dollar arena downtown, eliminated all traffic, sold $2 beer, and made sure every game day was no less than 0-C. I’m all on for a solid 10 game pack if he offers $25 tickets. That should cover Brady’s contract right ?

Cool your jets buddy I'm not coming after you, I said that in good faith. I truly believe the future of the team lies in moving the team downtown, I don't think it will ever be profitable so long as it stays in Kanata.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad