Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Slick Nick said:
Sorry, my english is limited...

Rednec/idiot

To me it's just a word like another

Just so you know, it's more than just a word to Americans. It's a really offensive term.

I'm sure you didn't mean that kind of offense, but next time just using jerk or idiot would be more appropriate to make your point :)

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
Just so you know, it's more than just a word to Americans. It's a really offensive term.

I'm sure you didn't mean that kind of offense, but next time just using jerk or idiot would be more appropriate to make your point :)

I will, I really didn't knew it was offensive to americans... I think there's lot's of rednecs in Quebec and in Russia... :innocent:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Slick Nick said:
I will, I really didn't knew it was offensive to americans... I think there's lot's of rednecs in Quebec and in Russia... :innocent:

Just watch Deliverance :D

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
tommi462 said:
Oh, I forgot, taunting gives you permission to do physical harm. Sorry about that, my mistake.

:rolleyes:

Say what you like about taunting being them "asking for it", but taunting is legal, assault is not. Taunt back, beat them in the game, whatever, just keep it legal.

And the second thing: The Americans were doing their thing before the Russians even started their taunting.

where you where one of those kids who liked to pull the dog's tail and was always suprised when it bit you? No, it's not equally and due punishment, but the 'victim' doesn't really deserve alot of sympathy.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
Boucicaut said:
You seem to be far more interested in the fights than in hockey itself. Become a boxing fan instead and you won't be missed by many here.

I like good clean, tough hockey and athletes who show respect for eachother. It seems like you are more interested in showboating and garbage like that. Maybe you should start watching the NBA or NFL?

And if you left you would be missed? Gimme a break. Only a European would condone their actions. If not, you should start watching European hockey where players are high sticking eachother, diving and showboating. It seems right up your alley.

JetLi

Apr 19, 2004
Sweden
If USA or the Canadians would do the samething as the russians did it would sound otherwise at the HFBOARDS......"Did you see Stafford taunt the russian bench?How cool!!!!!! :yo: " or "The Crosby celebrations after that emptyneter was very nice :)"

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
JetLi said:
If USA or the Canadians would do the samething as the russians did it would sound otherwise at the HFBOARDS......"Did you see Stafford taunt the russian bench?How cool!!!!!! :yo: " or "The Crosby celebrations after that emptyneter was very nice :)"

Think again. If Crosby did that or anyone else, im guessing more than 70% of Canadians here would be upset. All you Euros would be calling for his blood as well. I don't even want to imagine the uproar of this message board if the Americans started acting that way.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
JetLi said:
I'm not too sure about that. Maybe a few Crosby fans who get arosed just by hearing the name Crosby would find such a behavior cool but the majority of Canadians dislike showboating and especially taunting. Just take Don Cherry for exemple. You can't deny that the guy is extremely pro-Canadian yet he didn't hesitate to critiizice the most hyped Canadian prospect for sliding on the ice with his knees and calling him a hot dog.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
xander said:
where you where one of those kids who liked to pull the dog's tail and was always suprised when it bit you? No, it's not equally and due punishment, but the 'victim' doesn't really deserve alot of sympathy.

Again, that's different. Pulling a dogs tail actually hurts the dog, taunting doesn't. If you were a normal person you would barely even notice it.

And second of all, dogs are quit simple creatures, they react fast and really with just instinct, whereas standard humans have brains and should be able to use them. Then again, maybe the US players should be compared to the dogs. I don't know.

And no, I have never pulled a dogs tail.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Some of you people should switch over to less intimidating sports, like collecting stamps or chess.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
It was one thing when Ovechkin was making the we can beat the Canadian comments, but his smack talking is dangerously close to the Daniel Alfredsson psychic predictions that have the same validity of Miss Cleo.

Personally I don't have a problem with the taunting as I think it only goes to fire up the Canadians, and as long as Ovechkin backs up his mouth with his play to me it is fine, but you have to draw the line when you are affecting your whole team. You are a non-physical team and are going up against a really physical opponent.

Gelinas Time

May 22, 2004
Levitate said:
i think it reflects pretty badly on someone when they feel the need to showboat and taunt after scoring an empty net goal...i mean seriously, an empty net goal, give me a break. that's kind of like celebrating for being able to skate without falling over.

Don't you think they were celebrating a victory, not a goal itself?

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
chapel113x said:
I like good clean, tough hockey and athletes who show respect for eachother. It seems like you are more interested in showboating and garbage like that. Maybe you should start watching the NBA or NFL?

And if you left you would be missed? Gimme a break. Only a European would condone their actions. If not, you should start watching European hockey where players are high sticking eachother, diving and showboating. It seems right up your alley.

1) Read my posts, not once have I approved showboating/taunting. On the contrary, I find it pretty stupid behaviour.

2) You seem like a true expert in making stupid generalizations. Based on your 'logic' I could as easily say that all canadian hockey players are goons, because of what the likes of Bertuzzi and Bobby Clarke have done. Would that be fair?

3) I like physical hockey too, with clean hitting, but without headhunting, without intent to injure (injure here meaning things like broken vertebrae etc.).

It's people like you that give hockey a bad name by approving and embracing unnecessary violence (evident from some of your earlier posts in the thread). Sometimes I am ashamed to be a hockey fan.

Last edited:

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Rob Paxon said:
I don't see how you can parallel a guy throwing a cup at a player which results in a fight to celebrating a goal. Also, NFL fines are for what they consider to be overboard; they allow a whole lot. Who is to say that fan reaction causes them to make these fines, anyhow?

Sure, you put a limit on things, but hockey purists tend to get far too out-of-whack over some celebrations.

I'm not saying everyone likes celebrations, but the average sport fan is engaged by them. It can multiply their love for their favorite star or deepen their hatred for the opposing team's aggitator. Either way, the result is an involved feeling. You know, like the adage, "there is no such thing as bad publicity".

I agree. I don't want to watch a bunch of robots either. My only disclaimer is that letting your players run wild with celebrations of any kind just so you can "involve" more fans is a dangerous thing to do...and I would theorize that leagues such as the NFL and the NBA are trying to curtail these types of things because they don't want their players to get even more larger than life than they already are...because that can lead to a lot of headaches on and off the court/ice/field.

And as for the Ron Artest incident, he was lying on the scorer's table when the incident began...it's not the same as overtly taunting, but he was doing something out of the ordinary that drew attention...that's all I'm saying...things like that can turn bad in a hurry...

I'll say again, I don't really have a huge problem with the taunting/showboating, particularly since Russia is the visiting team, but I would have respected them more if they had not done any of it...if you listen to interviews, Ovechkin is super cocky and confident...that's a good thing...everyone knows he's a great player, I would have preferred it if he let his stats back him up as opposed to any other antics...

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Gelinas Time said:
Don't you think they were celebrating a victory, not a goal itself?

Either way, my problem is that there was showboating all the way through the game...cupping your ear to the stands, jumping into the bench...after the game is when you go crazy and mob your goaltender and celebrate...during the game you take care of business...that's how I would want my team to play anyways...there's a difference between a fist pump to celebrate a goal and skating by another team's bench and showboating, etc...

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
MrKnowNothing said:
He basically said that it was a European style of playing, which is ridiculous and of the Don Cherry school of thought.

Everyone whining about diving is being a sore loser. There was one weak call last night. The rest was the US team playing sloppily, which is why they lost. Frankly I was surprised that the game was close for that long.

If I am ridiculous answer this.

Name all of the power forwards in the NHL that are Euro or Russian. Now then compare them to how many the US and Canada have produced. the list isnt even close. Also name all the Europe enforcers other than Oliwa in the NHL. Again the list isnt even close.

Ever watched a soccer game from Europe? If you have then you have seen a guy get another player to draw a yellow card, get carried off on a stretcher and jump up on the side lines and run around, obviously not hurt. It is found as acceptable behavior in Europe to gain a man advantage. Not only is this the case in soccer but the Russians made it very clear they play the same way. When AO got hit up high he acted like Mike Tyson punched him in the 12th.

Im not a sore loser either. I accepted the loss and have stated that the Russians played a great game.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Herbie Verstinks said:
If I am ridiculous answer this.

Name all of the power forwards in the NHL that are Euro or Russian. Now then compare them to how many the US and Canada have produced. the list isnt even close. Also name all the Europe enforcers other than Oliwa in the NHL. Again the list isnt even close.

Ever watched a soccer game from Europe? If you have then you have seen a guy get another player to draw a yellow card, get carried off on a stretcher and jump up on the side lines and run around, obviously not hurt. It is found as acceptable behavior in Europe to gain a man advantage. Not only is this the case in soccer but the Russians made it very clear they play the same way. When AO got hit up high he acted like Mike Tyson punched him in the 12th.

Im not a sore loser either. I accepted the loss and have stated that the Russians played a great game.

Agreed about the power forwards. Europeans are mostly thought to bring in skating and skills, not enforcing.

However, in soccer when a guy gets carried away on a stretcher his team will be one man short until there is a whistle. So this actually gives a 'PP' opportunity to the opposing team. Only if the penalized player gets a red card, does the other team get a man advantage.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
honestly i think the reason taunting is "bad" is evident in this thread, this discussion...obviously a lot of people don't like it (whether or not they only don't like it when it's against their team is irrelevant) and when you do stuff that really pisses people off...there are sometimes consequences that are not good. if russia and the US played another game...there's a pretty good chance that ovechkin and malkin would get run and possibly hurt. and in the end, that would be a result of their own taunting. i'm not saying it would be right to hurt them or something, i'm saying that when you provoke people, bad things can happen and people need to be aware of that.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Boucicaut said:
Agreed about the power forwards. Europeans are mostly thought to bring in skating and skills, not enforcing.

However, in soccer when a guy gets carried away on a stretcher his team will be one man short until there is a whistle. So this actually gives a 'PP' opportunity to the opposing team. Only if the penalized player gets a red card, does the other team get a man advantage.

I should have used red card as a better example which is what I meant to do.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
b-mad said:
I saw at least 3-4 times when Russians were hit into the glass from behind, nevermind the unbeleivable whack in the face with the highstick.....there is no reason that happens other than intentionally or the kid should be permantly wearing a helmet and riding a short-bus....and almost forgot, the cross-check to AO's grill. And just because a guy isn't injured doesn't mean a hit wasn't dirty.

Remember, I wanted the US to win.

3-4 hit from behind........how many boarding calls were made?

All I have to know is that you considered O'sullivans high stick intentional. You have no idea what you are talking about.

And if you want to argue the ref cant see everything, then I will tell you this. There was no initial penalty called after that high stick, but the officiating crew that worked that game did a great job. When the ref saw that there was a injured player he got to together with the linesman who saw it and called the penalty.

So all of this dirty play resulted in how many people going to the hospital, getting stiched, being carried off in stretchers, not being able to play in the gold medal game?

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
If O'Sullivan intentionally hit the guy in the face with his back to him, then O'Sullivan has incredible aim with one hand. He should be in fencing then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad