What did Ovechkin and Malkin do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
I was typing something when the Ovechkin incident happend, but what I figured from all these posts is that he showed his name to the crowd in a cocky way. As for Malkin, after hammering someone in the boards, he scored an empty netter, then went twards the russian bench and after some american player badmouthed him he pulled his glove to fake a bench celebration...

WOW, what's the big deal???

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
After scoring the empty netter, Malkin proceeded to urinate on the US bench.

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
Here is what I saw:

Ovechkin scored the empty netter, then after his celebration, he tugged at the logo of his jersey while facing the American bench. After that, he turned around, was talking bad to someone in the crowd, then did an about-face and pointed to his name on the back of his jersey.

Malkin rushed by the American bench and held out his hands facing them. He undoubtedly said something to them.

Granted, I didn't see what the Americans did to them earlier in the game, if anything. I'm sure there was some poor sportsmanship throughout the game, but those two incidents which occurred when the Russians had a clear victory were very disappointing in my opinion.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Mxpunk said:
Here is what I saw:

Ovechkin scored the empty netter, then after his celebration, he tugged at the logo of his jersey while facing the American bench. After that, he turned around, was talking bad to someone in the crowd, then did an about-face and pointed to his name on the back of his jersey.

Malkin rushed by the American bench and held out his hands facing them. He undoubtedly said something to them.

Granted, I didn't see what the Americans did to them earlier in the game, if anything. I'm sure there was some poor sportsmanship throughout the game, but those two incidents which occurred when the Russians had a clear victory were very disappointing in my opinion.

All you need to know about a player translates into how they play the game. They were both unselfish, and highly involved all night. Malkin's composure, vision and playmaking presence was something to behold. No doubt he'll be elite. Ovechkin was Ovechkin.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Does any of this surprise you???

After the Kovalchuk empty net celebration before he even put the puck in the net against Canada in the 2001 tournament where he roofed it when no one was even in the same zone as him...

After that happened I no longer had respect for Russian Junior "Superstars".... I dunno why they continue to do this...

I think Russian hockey is awesome.. but is this necessary.. today's mess was bad... but maybe a little brough on by the Americans... maybe not..

does anyone remember that f************** as****** Svitov Spitting on Brian Sutherby in the 2002 tournament..... It took everything in that young mans body not to dummy Svitov right in the middle of the ice..

It just always seems to turn back to Russians doing ridiculous things.. maybe out of passion... but there's a line and sometimes they cross it.. and as of Tuesday nite around 11:30 they'll be silver medalists....

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i think it reflects pretty badly on someone when they feel the need to showboat and taunt after scoring an empty net goal...i mean seriously, an empty net goal, give me a break. that's kind of like celebrating for being able to skate without falling over.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Levitate said:
i think it reflects pretty badly on someone when they feel the need to showboat and taunt after scoring an empty net goal...i mean seriously, an empty net goal, give me a break. that's kind of like celebrating for being able to skate without falling over.

If the opponent can't, then it's something worth celebrating.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
After the cheapshots that they took all night. Good for them. The first game of the tourny showed that if the US had played their game that they could beat Russia. Instead they cared more about getting the Russians off of their game and just handed over to many PP.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i think the russians probably gave about as many cheapshots as the americans did...and they were flopping all over the place like they thought they were soccer players or something

that makes no sense

i don't care to turn this into any kind of fight concerning nationality or anything...IMO it was just a completely ugly hockey game...completely horrible. the US played like crap (could the forwards do something mildly creative? for once? how about FORECHECKING A LITTLE BIT??!!!) and the russians were diving and showboating all over...just rediculus. i make no excuses for the US in losing...the russians beat them cuz they played better, and the russian forwards played quite well...and in general i have nothing against celebrating a goal or even some slight taunting...but again, celebrating empty net goals by taunting the other team when you've already got the game locked up...it's idiocy

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Levitate said:
that makes no sense

Yes it does. If you're in a skating competition and your opponent can't even stay on his skates and you can, that means you are better and that's usually when you celebrate.

If you mean it didn't make sense because the US didn't have a chance to show what magic they can do to the empty net, all I can say is:

They should've created that chance, like the Russians did, and then score two goals in the empty net, like the Russians did.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Man...

tommi462 said:

Don't even waste time on this guy. Look at his avatar. Speaks volumes for his thought process.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
Does any of this surprise you???

After the Kovalchuk empty net celebration before he even put the puck in the net against Canada in the 2001 tournament where he roofed it when no one was even in the same zone as him...

After that happened I no longer had respect for Russian Junior "Superstars".... I dunno why they continue to do this...

I think Russian hockey is awesome.. but is this necessary.. today's mess was bad... but maybe a little brough on by the Americans... maybe not..

does anyone remember that f************** as****** Svitov Spitting on Brian Sutherby in the 2002 tournament..... It took everything in that young mans body not to dummy Svitov right in the middle of the ice..

It just always seems to turn back to Russians doing ridiculous things.. maybe out of passion... but there's a line and sometimes they cross it.. and as of Tuesday nite around 11:30 they'll be silver medalists....

It's not to nice see canadians start to "hunt down" opponents when they are losing either.. I've seen to numerous times in international tournaments, like at last years World Champioship final when Rob Niedermayer checked Peter Forsberg head first into the boards from behind.The hit was vicious and Forsberg was lucky not to be injured severely.I'm no fan of showboating, but trying to intentionally injure opponents is just plain wrong. And very often the offenders just happen to be Canadian..

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
shanwon said:
It is. Obviously you think taunting is OK, part of the sport, whatever. Good sportsmanship buddy.

Wow. How obvious, I've only said that in 3 or 4 threads today.

I guess it's just me, but I consider taunting a lesser evil than slashing, hooking, cross checking, high sticking and all those other things the US players have been doing more and more as the tournament progresses. My avatar and that custom user title is more of a sarcastic comment on this whole thing than a presentation of my honest opinion on taunting.

Personally I'd still be more worried (I'm not worried about anything, though, but if I were an American I probably would be) about the fact that the refs are allowing all that ugly stickwork while kids are at home watching in awe and making mental notes on how to properly beat your opponent (and even when they're not, it still happens). But hey, I'm sure you're right. Taunting will most likely corrupt this fine game completely and warp the minds of the little ones permanently, turning them into mass taunters.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
tommi462 said:
I guess it's just me, but I consider taunting a lesser evil than slashing, hooking, cross checking, high sticking and all those other things the US players have been doing more and more as the tournament progresses.

My thoughts exactly, except that I don't think it's just the US players that have been doing those things. High sticking, boarding, cross checks to the back of the neck etc. are really dangerous and can result in serious injuries. Still, nobody raves about these things and there have been dangerous situations in every game that I've seen (Canada vs. Finland, Czech vs. Finland, Canada vs. Czech). This taunting thing has just blown way out of its proportions. It's not that bad.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i don't really care about the taunting too much except that it was just really stupid. my "pride" isn't injured or anything like that, it just made me go "wow that was really dumb"

the diving by the russian team was pretty sad though...they don't miss a chance to play it up and act like they've just been shot. why do you think people thought the guy who got hit in the face with o'sullivans stick was bluffing at first? cuz his team had been diving all over the place for most of the game.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Levitate said:
i don't really care about the taunting too much except that it was just really stupid. my "pride" isn't injured or anything like that, it just made me go "wow that was really dumb"

I think you have a healthy attitude towards this incident. It may have been stupid, but sometimes these things happen. It's not the end of the world, and people shouldn't drag pride, nationalism or other bs into this. Though some of these HFBoard's own ovechkins seem to be still rubbing it in. :D

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Yes, it was excessive, but some people were making too big of a deal out of this. We have to remember that they are just kids, not 35 year old men, and they still aren't fully mature which will come with experiance (at least I hope so). Kids do stupid things.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
tommi462 said:
Wow. How obvious, I've only said that in 3 or 4 threads today.

I guess it's just me, but I consider taunting a lesser evil than slashing, hooking, cross checking, high sticking and all those other things the US players have been doing more and more as the tournament progresses.

Pretty short sighted. Taunting leads to worse offenses than slashing, hooking, etc...there's a reason why the NFL banned excessive celebrations. Those reasons were the cheap shots and injuries that occur after those incidents.

I'm fine with taunting after being taunted, but going over the top like that is begging for someone to get seriously hurt.

IkeaMonkey*

shanwon said:
Don't even waste time on this guy. Look at his avatar. Speaks volumes for his thought process.

Hold on, Let me find my Phil Kessel avatar. I'll still then say I dont see a problem with what the Russians did. Judging someone's opinion from a picture near their username...come on, grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad