What country is going to win the WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I am always for the Russians, and they have a a very good shot. Foremost challangers are the USA. Finalnd, Canada, and the Czechs are in the same boat for Bronze. Im suprised with this poll, Canada is vastly overrated... while everyone is underrated, except for Norway: who seems to have just as much of a shot as the Czechs, Sweden, and Finalnd.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Slitty said:
Canada is vastly overrated

A country that's won this thing has many times as Canada has, and been in the final the last four years in a row, can never be "vastly overrated." They might not be the favourites this year, but a team with as good a defence as this one has is going to contend like it almost always does.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Macman said:
A country that's won this thing has many times as Canada has, and been in the final the last four years in a row, can never be "vastly overrated." They might not be the favourites this year, but a team with as good a defence as this one has is going to contend like it almost always does.

The team last year, or the team four years ago bears almost no resemblence to this year's. As for the number of times won: Canada has won it 11 times and Russia 12 if I am not mistaken.... if you base the favourite on that theory, shouldn't Russia be ahead of Canada? The other thing you mentioned is the last 5 years: Canada has won it once in the last 5 years, Russia two times, again: shouldn't Russia be favoured if you use the last 5 years as the determining factor?

Point being, not only do your theories not summount to Canada being the favourite, as the team changed every year and its quality and status as favourites depends on that year and somewhat the country's hockey system and reputation.

Perhaps I, and many who agree with me a wrong: but this is a young team whos primary goal is to gain experience this year, and hopefully win a medal.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Slitty said:
The team last year, or the team four years ago bears almost no resemblence to this year's. As for the number of times won: Canada has won it 11 times and Russia 12 if I am not mistaken.... if you base the favourite on that theory, shouldn't Russia be ahead of Canada? The other thing you mentioned is the last 5 years: Canada has won it once in the last 5 years, Russia two times, again: shouldn't Russia be favoured if you use the last 5 years as the determining factor?

Point being, not only do your theories not summount to Canada being the favourite, as the team changed every year and its quality and status as favourites depends on that year and somewhat the country's hockey system and reputation.

Read my post again. I've admitted that Canada isn't the favourite this year but it's ridiculous to suggest that Canada is ever vastly overrated. They almost always contend, as its medal count supports, and are quite capable of winning against this year. And as for Russia's one-gold lead in the all-time medal count, try losing over 100 junior-age players to the NHL like Canada has since this thing has begun and see how many you'd win.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Canada is not vastly overrated.

Canada is usually a gold medal candidate every year. There is always the comparison factor that will somewhat give a good or bad opinion of a team. Using last year's team to prove Canada's edition of this year is weak --> hence been overrated and having no "on-paper shot" at the gold medal.

It's just plain wrong, last year's edition would walk over this tournament as a true "walk in the park" as not only they would have been one of those special year in a normal year, there was a special situation that allow the composition of such a team.

At then end, Canada might lost, it's very very possible this year, but they are by no mean a 3rd or 4th team candidate this year. Just forget about last year please, it might have been the best (or a top 5) wj team ever... (witch is not a requirement to win the gold this year...)

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
this canadian team reminds me alot of the 03 team in halifax....solid D corp and a scoring by committee...i think bob mackenzie made reference to that as well. i really like our D, i wish a couple other forwards woulda made it but i just hope we have enough scoring. at least this time our D wont get pushed around like in '03 vs the russians in the finals. blair mackasey made reference to that on a tsn.ca interview.

the americans r stacked but their tending could be a weakness. malkin coming back helps hte russians alot.

i sitll wanted espo to make the club

insider

Nov 14, 2003
More votes for Norway than Sweden or Slovakia or Switzerland or Latvia... C'mon... :amazed:

espo*

Slitty said:
The Soviet/Russian team or whatever it was the year Bure-Federov-Mogilny played. The Swedish team of Foresberg's day.
The Swedish Forsberg led teams never even won gold.They don't compare.To do that.....you at least gotta take home the top prize...............they failed.Very good team but......................killer instinct and goaltending lacking.

Your Soviet side is a good pick.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I have a feeling 2005-2006 is going to be a "Czech season". The Czechs will take the WJCS and then the Olympics to go with the World Championships they already won.

NewHabsEra*

ÛSA and Canada are gonna dominate the competition...

I fully expect a USA - Canada final and it will be a classic one!

Team Canada doesnt have the skills USA has but we have more charactere and we are a more gritty team.. In your face all the way!

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Canada, although it's likely it's based on homerism.

I'm pegging my hopes on Pogge proving he's some sort of amazing later round pick, and shutting out everyone...haha

Please note: I am drunk. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad