What could the Jackets roster look like 2019-2020???

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I think one of two things happen.

1. He doesn't fit. Ala Marian Gaborik, and both sides move on.

2. He fits, plays really well, and over prices himself. Leaves for more money

If it's the first reason, I would understand, but if he fits and plays real well, I think you've gotta pay him. JD has already said they're willing to give him an extension if everything works out as we hope it does. It's been layed out in other posts/threads, but there will be enough money to keep Panarin around long term.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I see what you're saying but the thing that concerns me is his replacement. Bob carried this team through a lot of the season last year, do you think Korpisalo, Merzlikins, or Kivlenieks can step in and have that kind of impact?

We're definitely going to be in cap hell very soon. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

I think what people need to realize , is that come 2019-2020 the skill level will be dramatically better than in was in 2016-2017, that is why you don't need to pay a goalie 10 mill per season, and why I will be shocked if Bob is resigned once his contract comes up. You are going to need money to resign the Panarin, Werenski, Bjorkstrand, Atkinson and possibly Duchene, and have flexibility with next wave of Pld, Abramov, Carlsson. Pittsburgh came to this crossroads, and prepared in advance, and allowed Fleury to walk. Looking at the front office's actions, they felt it was worth a 1st round pick this year, to protect Anderson, and Korpi. Korpi will get a lot more opportunity this year as he needs to play, and Bob needs the rest. Hopefully we will be more rested when the playoffs start, but you also have to consider that Bob has had chronic groin problems.

Plus I think Elvis makes his move next year, to North American hockey. Ideally, you always want to maximize your assets, and the hope is we can trade Bob for a nice return, instead of letting him walk .

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think what people need to realize , is that come 2019-2020 the skill level will be dramatically better than in was in 2016-2017, that is why you don't need to pay a goalie 10 mill per season, and why I will be shocked if Bob is resigned once his contract comes up. You are going to need money to resign the Panarin, Werenski, Bjorkstrand, Atkinson and possibly Duchene, and have flexibility with next wave of Pld, Abramov, Carlsson. Pittsburgh came to this crossroads, and prepared in advance, and allowed Fleury to walk. Looking at the front office's actions, they felt it was worth a 1st round pick this year, to protect Anderson, and Korpi. Korpi will get a lot more opportunity this year as he needs to play, and Bob needs the rest. Hopefully we will be more rested when the playoffs start, but you also have to consider that Bob has had chronic groin problems.

Plus I think Elvis makes his move next year, to North American hockey. Ideally, you always want to maximize your assets, and the hope is we can trade Bob for a nice return, instead of letting him walk .

Pittsburgh didn't come to a crossroads. Matt Murray is much better than MAF.

And I don't think the higher talent level is an argument in favor of letting Bob go. If you're trying to win now you keep a player like Bob - the highest paid goalies are usually on the best teams. And as I showed in this thread you can keep Bob and all the players you listed (all of them).

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Pittsburgh didn't come to a crossroads. Matt Murray is much better than MAF.

And I don't think the higher talent level is an argument in favor of letting Bob go. If you're trying to win now you keep a player like Bob - the highest paid goalies are usually on the best teams. And as I showed in this thread you can keep Bob and all the players you listed (all of them).

Pittsburgh absolutely had plans of letting young goalie get the opportunity , and Murray made fleury expendable , which allows them to keep their core together . Sure their might be a way to pay Bob 10 mill per season , and Werenski 8 mill , which is nearly 1/4 of cap in 2 players , but I have to think that Duchene is a legit target , and if not him , possibly another target to build up our center position . Sure bob has been great is couple seasons , pretty average others , and has had a history or chronic groin problems , and a way below playoff performance , if we are being fair . We will just have to agree to disagree . I think come 2019, we have one of best defenses still, but offensively we are much more dynamic. So even a pretty good goalie at 5 mill if need, be allows u to have a Duchene on the team and be a legit contender , while keeping more of the core together . That's just me , and my opinion though . And of course looking at how Jarmo does business :naughty:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Pittsburgh absolutely had plans of letting young goalie get the opportunity , and Murray made fleury expendable , which allows them to keep their core together . Sure their might be a way to pay Bob 10 mill per season , and Werenski 8 mill , which is nearly 1/4 of cap in 2 players , but I have to think that Duchene is a legit target , and if not him , possibly another target to build up our center position . Sure bob has been great is couple seasons , pretty average others , and has had a history or chronic groin problems , and a way below playoff performance , if we are being fair . We will just have to agree to disagree . I think come 2019, we have one of best defenses still, but offensively we are much more dynamic. So even a pretty good goalie at 5 mill if need, be allows u to have a Duchene on the team and be a legit contender , while keeping more of the core together . That's just me , and my opinion though . And of course looking at how Jarmo does business :naughty:

1. The Pittsburgh example makes sense for us if we have an elite ELC goalie and a so-so veteran starter. Instead we have an elite veteran starter and a so-so ELC goalie. If we get a Matt Murray quality goalie out of our prospects, then sure, but that has to happen first.

2. Just look at my damn roster on the previous page. All the players you keep mentioning are on it, fully costed for 2019. Duchene, Panarin, Bob, etc...

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

I would be shocked by this, as he just signed a two-year deal with Lugano. My guess is that it's NHL or nothing for Elvis as far as NA goes.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
1. The Pittsburgh example makes sense for us if we have an elite ELC goalie and a so-so veteran starter. Instead we have an elite veteran starter and a so-so ELC goalie. If we get a Matt Murray quality goalie out of our prospects, then sure, but that has to happen first.

2. Just look at my damn roster on the previous page. All the players you keep mentioning are on it, fully costed for 2019. Duchene, Panarin, Bob, etc...

I read your post, I just don't see anyway possible, Panarin is resigning here for 7.5 mill if he becomes the elite player the cbj are banking on. Your are talking about a player that could be a top 10 player in the league. I would bank on 8.5-10 million per season if he pots lets say 40 and 35 for goals the next 2 seasons. Same with Duchene, you are going out to get him to be the number one center . No way he resigning at 6.5 mill , if he comes here playing aside Panarin, and puts up a couple 70 point plus seasons. Once again, you could be looking at 8-9 million to resign Duchene, unless you want to let him walk, and then you gave up Jenner, Murray plus, for 2 years.

Also, I'm not understanding Foligno/Abramov at 2 mill ? Are we trading Foligno part of season , or is he taking a massive paycut ? And Dubinsky will be mighty tough to trade, most likely a buyout candidate , unless he has a monster year, and we are somehow able to move him. I just don't see the numbers on the prior post being remotely accurate in 2019/2020. And it shows how razer slim the budget would be, if your paying a goalie 9-10 mill per season. I'm not trying to come off rude, I should have mentioned that I read your post, in my prior response.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I read your post, I just don't see anyway possible, Panarin is resigning here for 7.5 mill if he becomes the elite player the cbj are banking on. Your are talking about a player that could be a top 10 player in the league. I would bank on 8.5-10 million per season if he pots lets say 40 and 35 for goals the next 2 seasons. Same with Duchene, you are going out to get him to be the number one center . No way he resigning at 6.5 mill , if he comes here playing aside Panarin, and puts up a couple 70 point plus seasons. Once again, you could be looking at 8-9 million to resign Duchene, unless you want to let him walk, and then you gave up Jenner, Murray plus, for 2 years.

Also, I'm not understanding Foligno/Abramov at 2 mill ? Are we trading Foligno part of season , or is he taking a massive paycut ? And Dubinsky will be mighty tough to trade, most likely a buyout candidate , unless he has a monster year, and we are somehow able to move him. I just don't see the numbers on the prior post being remotely accurate in 2019/2020. And it shows how razer slim the budget would be, if your paying a goalie 9-10 mill per season. I'm not trying to come off rude, I should have mentioned that I read your post, in my prior response.

I see Panarin as more of a 60-70 guy. A good fit with the team, and with the Jackets on the rise, 7.5m seems like it would be worth it to him. But we might ice the same lineup even with Panarin a bit higher, as long as Werenski and Bob aren't all on the high end or the cap surprisingly low.

Duchene is perfect for the team, but not that good. He might have a tough time topping 60 points. He isn't making $8m plus unless he's just chasing a paycheck on some crappy team. (I don't really mind trading Jenner and Murray for two years of Duchene, because Jenner is going to be expensive anyways but a lesser player, and we clearly don't need Murray - trading the ELC players is scarier to me.)

In any case, Panarin, Bob, Werenski, and Duchene if we acquire him, can be extended at the earliest on July 1st in 2018. So there isn't much possibility that we lock into keeping Bob, and then Panarin and Duchene are much better than I expected and we can't keep them both. We'll know if we can keep them at the same time we decide whether to keep Bob.

The $ figures for the forward positions are projections for Dubois and Abramov - they might still be on ELC's then, depending on when they join the team. Foligno's total is part of the $80m total figure. I didn't leave it out. Dubinsky will have a no trade list to certain teams. He can be moved, maybe with minimal retention.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I see Panarin as more of a 60-70 guy. A good fit with the team, and with the Jackets on the rise, 7.5m seems like it would be worth it to him. But we might ice the same lineup even with Panarin a bit higher, as long as Werenski and Bob aren't all on the high end or the cap surprisingly low.

Duchene is perfect for the team, but not that good. He might have a tough time topping 60 points. He isn't making $8m plus unless he's just chasing a paycheck on some crappy team. (I don't really mind trading Jenner and Murray for two years of Duchene, because Jenner is going to be expensive anyways but a lesser player, and we clearly don't need Murray - trading the ELC players is scarier to me.)

In any case, Panarin, Bob, Werenski, and Duchene if we acquire him, can be extended at the earliest on July 1st in 2018. So there isn't much possibility that we lock into keeping Bob, and then Panarin and Duchene are much better than I expected and we can't keep them both. We'll know if we can keep them at the same time we decide whether to keep Bob.

The $ figures for the forward positions are projections for Dubois and Abramov - they might still be on ELC's then, depending on when they join the team. Foligno's total is part of the $80m total figure. I didn't leave it out. Dubinsky will have a no trade list to certain teams. He can be moved, maybe with minimal retention.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree . Panarin in his first 2 seasons , has been 11th and 16th in scoring with 31, and 30 goals , and that's a young player breaking into the NHL. Hitting near 80 points in both seasons. Yes , he's not playing with Kane anymore , but Wennberg, or Duchene with Atkinson on the other side , would be a stout line that will put up points . Also Panarin will be looked upon to be the man here , big focal point of power play, etc. Panarin is currently earning 6 mill per season, and if he hovers around top 10 in scoring , I don't see him resigning for 7.5 mill.

As for Duchene, he's hit 70 and 68 points scoring, and 30 goals 27 goals on a decent Colorado team, and yes the past couple seasons his stats have suffered , but he's one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, has shown he can score 30 goals , very good passer, and wins nearly 2/3 of his faceoffs . He comes here and plays with Panarin and Atkinson, you think he's only a 60 point player ? Johansen just resigned with Nashville for 8 mill per season, draisaitl recently signed for 8 mill per season, and u think Duchene would resign for 6.5 mill ?

I wasn't entirely clear on your post , but you had Foligno Dubois at 2.5 mill. Is Foligno taking a massive pay cut to stay with team ? Is that 2.5 mill combined ? Point I'm trying to make , your numbers are low from today's standards , let alone 2019-2020. Sure the cap will increase a tad , but there's no way we could keep these offensive players and pay a goalie 10 mill per season . Your much better served if need to , to go out and sign a very good goalie at say 5 mill , and let him play behind one of the best defenses in the NHL, and a very dynamic offense . Ideally you want a korpi or Elvis to take the spot when his contract is up, just saying , there are always good goalies to sign or trade for , that would command less than half of Bobs 9-10 mill per season .

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Guess we will have to agree to disagree . Panarin in his first 2 seasons , has been 11th and 16th in scoring with 31, and 30 goals , and that's a young player breaking into the NHL. Hitting near 80 points in both seasons. Yes , he's not playing with Kane anymore , but Wennberg, or Duchene with Atkinson on the other side , would be a stout line that will put up points . Also Panarin will be looked upon to be the man here , big focal point of power play, etc. Panarin is currently earning 6 mill per season, and if he hovers around top 10 in scoring , I don't see him resigning for 7.5 mill.

I think the whole missing Kane thing is overstated, but dropping from Kane to Wennberg will cost him 5 or so points, and getting 60% O-zone starts instead of 80% will cost him another 5 or 10. That's a 65 point player, maybe. And 25 is mid-prime for a scoring forward, so I don't expect him to become a higher scorer naturally. $7.5m seems like a reasonable guess to me for a 60-65 pt player with a bad defensive game. Anything more than that would be if he doesn't mind going to a poor team.

As for Duchene, he's hit 70 and 68 points scoring, and 30 goals 27 goals on a decent Colorado team, and yes the past couple seasons his stats have suffered , but he's one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, has shown he can score 30 goals , very good passer, and wins nearly 2/3 of his faceoffs . He comes here and plays with Panarin and Atkinson, you think he's only a 60 point player ? Johansen just resigned with Nashville for 8 mill per season, draisaitl recently signed for 8 mill per season, and u think Duchene would resign for 6.5 mill ?

Part of the reason his stats have suffered is that he is no longer one of the fastest skaters in the NHL. Part of the points dropoff was because of his team, but that maybe gets him back up to 60 pts here, not 70+. If he hits 60 2 straight years, he'll get offers of at least $7m on the UFA market, you're right about that.

And once again - none of these projections are that critical. We get to see how all of these players play for a year here before extending anyone's contract, Bob's included.

I wasn't entirely clear on your post , but you had Foligno Dubois at 2.5 mill. Is Foligno taking a massive pay cut to stay with team ? Is that 2.5 mill combined ? Point I'm trying to make , your numbers are low from today's standards , let alone 2019-2020. Sure the cap will increase a tad , but there's no way we could keep these offensive players and pay a goalie 10 mill per season . Your much better served if need to , to go out and sign a very good goalie at say 5 mill , and let him play behind one of the best defenses in the NHL, and a very dynamic offense . Ideally you want a korpi or Elvis to take the spot when his contract is up, just saying , there are always good goalies to sign or trade for , that would command less than half of Bobs 9-10 mill per season .

No, Foligno is still under his current contract. The $80m total figure includes both the cost of Foligno and Dubois, there just isn't space to pencil them both in to the top 9. Likely someone will get injured or traded or a prospect will need more seasoning - so I expect both in the top 9 and a bit more extra salary to be freed up by whichever of the 10 scoring line players that isn't on the roster.

You can always get a goalie, for sure.

This summer the Rangers sent their backup goalie to the Coyotes, who sent their starter to the Flames, who sent theirs to the Flyers, who sent theirs to the Jets, who sent theirs to be the Rangers backup. It's mostly pretty bad teams that don't have an expensive goalie in net. That's what I want to avoid.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Panarin-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Dubois-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Abramov
Thurkauf-Sedlak-Anderson

Werenski-Jones
Carlsson-Savard
Nutivaara-Gavrikov

Bob
Merzlikins
Btw, dude is tearing up KHL right now. 7 games - 0points +1. But there was so much noise. :laugh:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
You're aware Gavrikov is known for being a shutdown defenseman, right? I don't think anyone expected him to put up big numbers.
That's funny, because he's playing on first pairing and on PP unit. And yet people give **** Murray for not developing his offensive side enough. Btw yeah, i watch SKA games until i can't tolerate referee bias, and he's not impressing so far.

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
That's funny, because he's playing on first pairing and on PP unit. And yet people give **** Murray for not developing his offensive side enough. Btw yeah, i watch SKA games until i can't tolerate referee bias, and he's not impressing so far.

That's interesting. What do you dislike about his play?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
That's interesting. What do you dislike about his play?
He's not very good puck mover, yeah he blocks some shots, not dirty with hits, but then he'll get the puck and will drop it on center ice to no one. A little better Emelin i would say. And as i mentioned in prospect thread, Russia is not a good place to develop modern D.

Gavrikov being used on the first PP unit isn't his fault lol, blame the coach
They have 11D. Gotta let kids play. :)

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
He's not very good puck mover, yeah he blocks some shots, not dirty with hits, but then he'll get the puck and will drop it on center ice to no one. A little better Emelin i would say. And as i mentioned in prospect thread, Russia is not a good place to develop modern D.

I mean, that sounds about right for what I was expecting out of him. NHL potential is a stay-at-home #3/4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad