What could the Jackets roster look like 2019-2020???

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
Just having fun here and dreaming a bit on some of these young kids! but heres what I would do if they continue to develop like I hope! lol

FORWARDS
----------------------------------------------------------
Panarin-Wennberg-Abramov (scoring line 1 )
Bjorkstrand- Stenlund-Atkinson ( scoring line 2 )
Foligno -PLD-Anderson ( hard grit line with scoring )
Calvert-Sedlak- Motte ( energy line could be improved ) GM really like motte

Not sure what we would get in return for dubi, jenner and Milano but definitely a top line forward!

DEFENSE
---------------------------------------------------------

Werenski-Jones ( set for years to come )
Carlsson-Gavrikov ( young shut down D )
Nutivaara- Savard ( this line will change with trade bait )
Peeke

GOALIES
----------------------------------------------------------
Merzlikins
Korpi
Kivlenieks

Any of these goalies have starting potential and could be a goalie of the future. Just dont think bob has the playoff mind set. Reminds me of Roman Cechmanek.

Offensive trades
----------------------------------------------
Dubinsky traded getting older and still has value
jenner i think is just a bottom 6 guy and has high value for a team needing grit and scoing together. We have lots of that and can use him for upgrades.
Milano not sure where he fits and needs another solid, improved ahl year or trade him

Defensive trades
----------------------------------------------
Johnson trade him have lots of young studs
Murray has a good year this year and is traded.

Goalie trades
-----------------------------------------------
Bob just is not a playoff goalie and could you imagine what a team will pay for a two time Vezina ????

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Dubi has that albatross NMC contract @ $5.85m. Will be tough to just "move."

The FO seems enamored with Jenner (has worn an "A" for two seasons now) - I don't think he'll be moved out so quickly.

Honestly, I think Calvert may be on the way out with guys like Thurkauf, Sherwood, etc. pushing for playing time.

As much as we want to dump Bob after his playoff performances, he's the only reason we even make it to the playoffs. If he gets us to the 2nd round this next season, suddenly you're looking at his next big contract and wanting to keep him.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
There are several big wild cards in attempting to do this. I know it's summer and not much is happening.

First, from what I read, the NHLPA will use their option to reopen the Collective Bargaining Agreement. That will put the season you target in jeopardy. Second, it seems to me a foregone conclusion that each team will get (again) compliance buyouts that will not count against the cap. With a few of the contracts being signed recently, it seems like GM's have that in the back of their mind. [Off Topic - I would love to see each team get 2 compliance buyouts like last time, but make them assets. They could then be traded for players/picks/prospects]

Just to play along - the CBJ centers could be (in some order); PLD, Wennberg, Thurkauf, Sedlak and Texier.

The forwards could include; Anderson, Abramov, Bjorkstrand, and one of either Panarin or Atkinson (can't afford both), one of either Foligno or Dubinsky (can't afford both), Sherwood and Motte. I know that's only 7, but I'm not sure who else.

The defense should be Jones, Werenski, Carlsson, Nutivaara, Gavrikov (he would be here now if not for the Olympics) and Ryan Collins.

I doubt that Bobrovsky will be in Columbus when his next contract begins. It will be some combination of Korpisalo, Merzilikins, Tarasov or Thome. My guess would be Korpisalo and Elvis.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It depends what happens in the next 2 years.

If the team does well, most will probably be here who are here already. If they don't, then one should expect significant turnover.

No reason to get "married" to the current roster. It's hardly the late 80s Edmonton Oilers.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Dubi has that albatross NMC contract @ $5.85m. Will be tough to just "move."

The FO seems enamored with Jenner (has worn an "A" for two seasons now) - I don't think he'll be moved out so quickly.

Honestly, I think Calvert may be on the way out with guys like Thurkauf, Sherwood, etc. pushing for playing time.

As much as we want to dump Bob after his playoff performances, he's the only reason we even make it to the playoffs. If he gets us to the 2nd round this next season, suddenly you're looking at his next big contract and wanting to keep him.

The NMC is just a technicality anymore. Once players find out that their club doesn't want them, why would you want to stay? I know that everyone once in a while you have a player invoke their NMC, but look at how many have been moved in the recent past that had NMCs. I don't think anyone really wants to dump Bob, I just don't think the Jackets can afford to keep him anymore. The second Vezina just made his next contract in the 10M+ range. If he won a cup, the sky would be the limit.

However, if a lot of younger players proved they were contributors within 2 years, then you might be able to have 3 or 4 big contracts and stay under the cap. Who knows?

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
I don't think Bobrovsky gets moved by 2019-2020 unless he really struggles in the next couple of years. Still don't get why everyone wants Bob gone.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think Bobrovsky gets moved by 2019-2020 unless he really struggles in the next couple of years. Still don't get why everyone wants Bob gone.

I don't think they want him gone;they just fear his next contract. If he'd re-sign for close to what he's making then I think most would be receptive; at 9 mill or more its sayonara.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015

What EspenK said.

I don't want him gone. He has had a cap hit of $7.45 and had 2 years of getting paid 8.5 in cash. His cash salary was 6.5 last year and 6.2 this year.
Let's just say that all of our wildest dreams as fans come true. The CBJ run deep in the playoffs over the next two years with an appearance in the Eastern Conference Final and the Stanley Cup Final. Just for good measure, add a 3rd Veznia trophy.

With recent events regarding Cary Price and Connor McDavid, can you see Bobrovsky saying "oh sure....$6.5 million a year is just fine"?.........I don't. With the goaltending depth in the organization, I would prefer to push more money to the blue line or the forwards and less to goal tending.

Bobrovsky has consumed 10% of the cap space (or maybe a little more) for several years. That combined with his no movement clause has limited this team. I would love to have Bob in Columbus, but I want him strong in the playoffs, consuming about 8% of the available cap and with fewer limitations on moving him.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
What EspenK said.

I don't want him gone. He has had a cap hit of $7.45 and had 2 years of getting paid 8.5 in cash. His cash salary was 6.5 last year and 6.2 this year.
Let's just say that all of our wildest dreams as fans come true. The CBJ run deep in the playoffs over the next two years with an appearance in the Eastern Conference Final and the Stanley Cup Final. Just for good measure, add a 3rd Veznia trophy.

With recent events regarding Cary Price and Connor McDavid, can you see Bobrovsky saying "oh sure....$6.5 million a year is just fine"?.........I don't. With the goaltending depth in the organization, I would prefer to push more money to the blue line or the forwards and less to goal tending.

Bobrovsky has consumed 10% of the cap space (or maybe a little more) for several years. That combined with his no movement clause has limited this team. I would love to have Bob in Columbus, but I want him strong in the playoffs, consuming about 8% of the available cap and with fewer limitations on moving him.

I see what you're saying but the thing that concerns me is his replacement. Bob carried this team through a lot of the season last year, do you think Korpisalo, Merzlikins, or Kivlenieks can step in and have that kind of impact?

We're definitely going to be in cap hell very soon. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I see what you're saying but the thing that concerns me is his replacement. Bob carried this team through a lot of the season last year, do you think Korpisalo, Merzlikins, or Kivlenieks can step in and have that kind of impact?

We're definitely going to be in cap hell very soon. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

I'm pretty sure the 2011 version of this exercise didn't have Sergei Bobrovsky as the goalie.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015

Yes......yes, I do. The history of the Stanley Cup playoffs is littered with teams winning the Cup with less than Veznia goal tending. The stories of a goal tender carrying a team on his back for 4 rounds are very few and very far between. JF Giguere won a Conn Smythe as a losing goal tender. He got 15 wins. The winning team doesn't need a Dominik Hasek performance every year to win. Generally a Bill Ranford, MA Fleury, Jonathan Quick or Cory Crawford are good enough.

An NHL team who plays team defense, and turns shots to the outside, can make an average goal tender look great. This team is one or two years away from being that kind of team as currently configured. When an NHL team plays fast, and is lethal in transition and on the power play, it takes a ton of pressure off the goal tender. This team is one to two years away, given some breakthrough performances by guys like PLD, Abramov and Bjorkstrand, from being that team.

We're definitely going to be in cap hell very soon.

Yes......yes we are.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Hey everyone,
I've missed chatting about the team with you folks, and had to come back when I saw this topic. 2019 was one of my big topics a year ago now, and I've continually revised my future roster over the year.

OP,
Thanks for putting this topic together. Obviously 2019 is going to be a really important moment for the roster where some very difficult decisions have to be made due to cap and roster space considerations. The good news about 2019 is that the pipeline is strong and our core players will be hitting their prime ages, so the team should be better than ever, even as it says goodbye to some important players. I have mostly the same roster as OP does, with a few differences. Calvert is gone, as DarkandStormy notes, and I don't think we have nearly enough sample size to tell what kind of playoff goalie Bob will be (any statistician will tell you this). And yes, I do think they'll make a move via trade for a top centerman, someone who can drive play at 5v5:

Anderson ($3.5m) Duchene ($6.5m) Atkinson ($5.5m)
Panarin ($7.5m) Stenlund ($1m) Foligno/Abramov($2m)
Foligno/Dubois($2.5m) Wennberg ($5.5m) Bjorkstrand ($2m)
Thurkauf ($1m) Sedlak ($1m) Motte ($1m)
Sherwood ($1m)

Werenski ($8m) Savard ($4.2m)
Carlsson ($3m) Jones ($5.5m)
Nutivaara ($2m) Gavrikov ($2m)
Peeke ($1m)

Bobrovsky ($9m)
Merzlikins ($1m)

Traded: Murray/JJ/Dubinsky/Jenner

It adds up to about $80m. OP, your roster only added up to about $65m - any second thoughts about letting go of the goalie who saved this team 25+ goals on top of what an average goalie would have saved, and came 3rd in the league MVP vote? The only thing that could make it an easier decision for me is if Korpi or Elvis or someone really becomes an above average starter.

more in a second...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
More than a few superfluous thoughts about the roster:

We don't really need Murray, and I have serious concerns about his health. His movement on the ice looked off to me. I don't think he missed the playoffs because of a broken hand (gasp!).

JJ was never that good overall, despite some sterling qualities. His 400 minutes without Savard were just as filled with minuses as his previous years. It's easy to see who is responsible for JJ's best year. Savard is.

I still expect Dubi to be a fine middle six center through 2021. This is just about contract and the fact that we need roster space. If Stenlund and Dubois fail to develop then we can of course keep Dubi in 2019.

Jenner would be missed. But either him or Atkinson has to go, as they'll be getting paid. And Atkinson scores more. I will say that the franchise has given away a fair bit of size and strength this summer. Saad, Kolesar, Hartnell. You can only do that and say "We have enough size" for so long until your team is too small to compete.

For the lines:

Anderson scored 17 ES goals from the fourth line. I don't want to hear anyone say "Anderson on the first line!", as if it should be that surprising that he'll score 25-30 goals per year. He had a higher ES goal scoring rate last year than any other Jackets regular. Duchene is really good. You'd think he was like RNH or something from the way folks have been talking about him. From 2012 to 2016, Duchene is top ten in the league in ES scoring. And great at faceoffs, so basically the anti-Wennberg. Not much to add on Atkinson. Fast line.

I'm just as curious as anyone how Panarin will do. I will say that I don't like the lines that have him paired with all of our other diminutive players (I'm putting Wennberg in this category). Panarin is legit bad at winning puck battles and playing defence. He needs to play with some brawn, or he'll never get the puck to work his magic. I like the "Swedish Anisimov" moniker for Stenlund, but he seems to have better playmaking skill than Anisimov. Abramov scoring 4 points in 4 AHL games is very encouraging. He might be a great complement to Panarin if there is some size elsewhere on the line.

I will pre-emptively say that having players as expensive and good as Wennberg on the third line is a good thing. The goal of a team these days is to be in a position where you have three dangerous lines. The Penguins didn't say "ooh, Kessel on the third line, what a waste!". On another note, I don't care about Wennberg's goal production- just as you shouldn't care about Thornton or Getzlaf or Sedin's goal production. I do care about his point production at ES, which has been crap. That is a legit concern, and is part of why I think adding a Duchene type is essential. Speaking of Getzlaf, I see Dubois as a poor man's Getzlaf. I only have him on wing because we might not need him at center - unless he's really good. We all know what Bjorkstrand can do.

Thurkauf, Sedlak, Motte could be a good cheap and effective 4th line. I love Sedsy, that's the extent of my thoughts on the matter!

There is one too many scoring line forwards, so I couldn't figure out where to put Foligno. But the team is already the youngest in the league - and would continue to be if we let go of Dubi et. co. That's a problem. Foligno is an essential, even if it's less and less for what he does on the ice.

------------------------

I don't think Werenski is just going to be a great offensive d-man. Since he rejoined the roster in April he was the best player on the team. I think his defensive abilities are top notch - just needs consistency like any young player. Savard had an incredible year. I know this will make some laugh, but he was frequently the best player on the team. Let's see if he can do it again, but last year he 1) was only behind Suter-Spurgeon for the league lead in +/-, 2) had dominant relative corsi, 3) was 25th among all D-men in even strength points, 4) absolutely carried JJ. Werenski-Savard were dynamite together in November.

Gabriel Carlsson is more than NHL ready. He's positively polished when it comes to defense. Like a softer Methot. Together with Jones, their wingspan and defensive skill would be a nightmare for any attacker trying to get over the blueline. That's a second #1 pair, like Nashville has.

I like Nuti, Gavi, and it's still very early for Peeke but he has a solid all around skill set. That might give us a better third pair than Irwin-Bitteto-Weber or whatever third pair Nashville was throwing out there.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Welcome back major. Good posts and I agree with most of your points.

I think you might be a bit off in the cap numbers. If Panarin & Duchene produce as hoped I think you might have them a bit low.

Also I'm a bit confused about the Foligo/duos with a cap hit of 2 or 2.5. How does that work? Foligno taking a pay cut?

Also who do we trade for Duchene?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Welcome back major. Good posts and I agree with most of your points.

I think you might be a bit off in the cap numbers. If Panarin & Duchene produce as hoped I think you might have them a bit low.

Also I'm a bit confused about the Foligo/duos with a cap hit of 2 or 2.5. How does that work? Foligno taking a pay cut?

Also who do we trade for Duchene?

Thanks Espen.

The cap hits listed for Foligno/other are for other. But the total of $80m includes both Foligno and the two RFA age players he'd be splitting time with.

In this scenario we could trade Murray and Jenner for Duchene. I don't know if that would suffice and this isn't the place to discuss it. But we're giving up good quality players in the 2019 scenario, not cap dumps.

It's probably wishful thinking on Panarin and Duchene's cap numbers. Can we do 2018 projections instead? :laugh:

Duchene won't be on the top PP for us, so it's possible that his numbers stay relatively low (hiding his true benefit at ES). He might not need much of a raise. Panarin I think it depends on the fit. If he likes it here we'll be able to keep him. There's not a lot of good clubs that can throw money at him that have more space than we do.

What if next year Bobrovsky and Panarin have good years but nothing MVP quality -Let's say Bob puts up a .925 sv%, Panarin hits 68 points. And Werenski has a Doughty-quality 20 year old season. And next summer those three decide to extend at the same time long term at $8m each. Hey, it could happen. :dunno:

Hope all is well in Pianosa.

I had to look this up (not as literate as my name suggests ;) )

I did not know that major major is stationed in Pianosa. Since I've been there for the last 70 years I ought to start dropping some Italian.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...-jackets-roster-will-look-like-in-three-years
Surprised they don't assume 1 of Panarin or Atkinson will be locked up long term. Unless they have 1 of them signing short term and they lose them for the 19/20 season.

I read through trying to understand that as well.

My guess is that they looked at the roster and thought "well they're going to be really good anyways, they don't need spendy players like Bob and Panarin and Atkinson" That's what the article says about Bob, at least.

The only problem with that is that this isn't a budget team. The roster they put out there isn't even a $65m roster. The cap will be ~$80m. So why again, are we not keeping our best forwards and elite goaltender? The roster I put out there is a better team (obviously, Panarin and Atkinson are better than Thurkauf and Milano).

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Honestly I hope our team is basically the exact same except adding Gavrikov and maybe losing a Calvert for Abromov and seeing if Stenlund can work out. Our team is right where I want it to be minus Gavrikov not here yet and an upgrade to 2C.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I agree. Werenski as much as 7 mill although ater Wennberg may not have to be that much),Duchene 7.5 Panarin up to 8 it still works.Dubi & JJ gone. Bob ??

I could type a lengthy response, or I could just bump this thread and this post:

Anderson ($3.5m) Duchene ($6.5m) Atkinson ($5.5m)
Panarin ($7.5m) Stenlund ($1m) Foligno/Abramov($2m)
Foligno/Dubois($2.5m) Wennberg ($5.5m) Bjorkstrand ($2m)
Thurkauf ($1m) Sedlak ($1m) Motte ($1m)
Sherwood ($1m)

Werenski ($8m) Savard ($4.2m)
Carlsson ($3m) Jones ($5.5m)
Nutivaara ($2m) Gavrikov ($2m)
Peeke ($1m)

Bobrovsky ($9m)
Merzlikins ($1m)

Traded: Murray/JJ/Dubinsky/Jenner

It adds up to about $80m.

Wennberg is already saving us a bit of money on my projection - and Werenski and Bob probably come in less than I projected as well.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think if Bobrovsky stays healthy this season, the team will fully commit to him, Jones, Werenski, and a forward whether it be Panarin, PLD (if PLD becomes a franchise center) or someone else.

If Bob gets injured, then I think we talk about what the team may look like without him.

But if he stays healthy, I think we're looking at putting $10 million per year into our starting goaltender. Not necessarily because he's the best but because the team's hitched to him.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Foligno - Wennberg - Atkinson
Abramov - Dubinsky - Bjorkstrand
Dubois - Stenlund - Anderson
Jenner - Sedlak - Motte

Werenski - Jones
Carlsson - Savard
Gavrikov - Nutivaara

Bobrovsky