NCAA: What colleges are you a fan of and why?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It seems like there are many different reasons that people cheer for or hate a certain college. Alumni, closest in proximity, certain players or coaches, all seem to be reasons to be fans of schools. I'm a UCLA and a Purdue fan. UCLA because I live in SoCal and my mom is a graduate and Purdue because my high school's quarterback (he's a senior and a I'm a junior) just accepted a full scholarship there.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
ECU - I grew up in Greenville and then also went there for undergrad. To this day we have still never lost a tailgate :thumbu:

Alabama - Did my masters there

Washington - Grew up a Huskies fan because I am left handed and when I started really paying attention to football was when Mark Brunell was there. I begged and pleaded with my parents and at the cost of Christmas and my Birthday, actually got to go see the 1993 Rose Bowl. To this day I still tell people that Elvis Grbac ruined my childhood :laugh:

Those are the three big ones, there are a few others that I have a passing interest in, but those are the three that I actually follow passionately.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Washington, simply based on proximity.

I also grew up with a father who hates Notre Dame and Ohio State, so I have a soft spot for Michigan as well.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
West Virginia - did my undergrad there.

Duke - I work for Duke, and I just REALLY like ****ing with fans of the other ACC teams I know in the area or here on HF.

Northeastern - no longer has a program :(. Was my first choice for college and where my father got his undergrad, but I didn't really feel like selling a kidney to afford rent in Boston.

App State - local and they were a 1-AA/FCS powerhouse.

ECU - have something of a fun rivalry with WVU over the years, we play them often and it's an easy drive to Greenville for a party/game... preference listed in that order.

My list of teams I hate is about 5 times this long.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Florida State.

Just because I liked their helmets when I was like 5. I like the Vikings for the same reason.

My alma mater is a small D-III school without a football team so I have really never had a reason to root for/follow them in anything.

If I ever stop being lazy and go for my masters I might pick that school up as a team

This is more basketball* only, but I always kinda rooted for Michigan St. because I like Tom Izzo. But I do find myself rooting for Sparty in football sometimes too.

(*I know they're in the ACC with FSU, but always had a soft spot for UNC, just because I love their colors (and am/was a big Vince Carter fan), but again that's mostly just basketball.)

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Ohio State. Growing up in Columbus you really only have two choices -- love them or hate them. I chose love.

Ohio University. Alma mater.

The only time I root against the Buckeyes:

rufus-brutus-mascots.jpg

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Washington - Grew up a Huskies fan because I am left handed and when I started really paying attention to football was when Mark Brunell was there. I begged and pleaded with my parents and at the cost of Christmas and my Birthday, actually got to go see the 1993 Rose Bowl. To this day I still tell people that Elvis Grbac ruined my childhood :laugh:

I remember that game. Shouldn't you blame Tyrone Wheatley? :sarcasm:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Montana - Alumni.
Penn State - I grew up in a Penn State family surrounded by neighbors who went there.
Colorado State - Where I wanted to go until I actually chose what I wanted to study...from a young age I viewed college as the perfect excuse to live somewhere else for 4-5 years and I was always drawn to the Rockies.
Pitt - The Pitt/Penn State rivalry was largely dead by the time I came around and they were the local school. My older sister also went there for grad school, so I went to a few games when I was a kid.
UCLA - I took a few classes there shortly after moving to LA.

Last edited:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Michigan - TB12, Copp, Trouba, Connor
Georgia - I got into NCAA just a couple years ago but seeing Todd Gurley got me really excited watching a Georgia game and Nick Chubb, the same

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Mizzou- proximity and sister/friends went there.

Wisconsin-played high school football with Montee Ball (he is one year older than I) so I watched them a lot to watch him, and still root for them now.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
West Virginia - did my undergrad there.

Duke - I work for Duke, and I just REALLY like ****ing with fans of the other ACC teams I know in the area or here on HF.

Northeastern - no longer has a program :(. Was my first choice for college and where my father got his undergrad, but I didn't really feel like selling a kidney to afford rent in Boston.

App State - local and they were a 1-AA/FCS powerhouse.

ECU - have something of a fun rivalry with WVU over the years, we play them often and it's an easy drive to Greenville for a party/game... preference listed in that order.

My list of teams I hate is about 5 times this long.

WVU//ECU games, regardless of whether they're in Morgantown or Greenville, are the biggest drunk-fests ever. You guys might be my favorite rival of all, just because we hate each other with a passion for 3 hours, then all go get **** faced together afterwards :laugh:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Not diehard but I tend to root more for NC State than anyone else. Dad, Uncle, and Grandad all did undergrad there and dad/uncle were students in 1983 (go watch Survive and Advance if you haven't) and I've met some of those players. We also have a friend of the family who played with Bill Cowher back in the day. Plus they play in Raleigh where the Hurricanes play. I was a Duke basketball fan as a kid, grandfather taught there in the 70's and has a degree from there to boot. Most of my family and friends are UNC fans, and frankly I loved rooting against them growing up because it tended to upset them. If Duke and State fans can agree on something, it's the dislike for the Tar Heels.

I like to see West Viginia do well. I feel that state gets crapped on more than it deserves plus Morgantown just seems like a hell of a good time to be had. I was glad they did not join the ACC, because then I would have to dislike them.

I kind of like Michigan State too. Mark Dantonio has done a solid job there, and Mushin Muhammed was one of my favorite Panthers ever, and that's his Alma Mater.

Don't mind Georgia doing well, family ties there.

Liked Texas Tech when Leach was the coach and thought they were building a solid program. Don't follow them at all anymore.

I'll root for Charlotte as well but I tend to forget they have a team, probably because they started play in 2013.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I feel stupid saying it.

The U after watching a 2 hour special that explained rhetoric Cocaine traffic in the 80's and the boosters of the 90's.

That and the fact that if I had a choice to go at any college, it'd be Miami just because it's Miami.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
The U - I'm an alum & of course "The Swag"

Pitt - My old hometown.....lived within walking distance of campus & was fortunate to have grown up during the glory years of Tony Dorsett, the 1976 National Championship & the pretty decent Jackie Sherrill teams that followed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Virginia Tech - I was a big fan of Michael Vick, and stuck with them after he left (which I was mad about)
Temple - Local Philly represent
Oregon - Had a soft spot for them, because I thought they got screwed out of the 2002 Rose Bowl and wanted them to finish the job. Although I like Oregon State too, which I'm sure makes no sense.
Auburn - Since the SEC is god's gift to football, decided I need to pick a team and no one else really liked them.

Mad Brills*

none, since I live in toronto.

Any suggestions would be nice.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
If we are picking teams by conference

ACC-Clemson
B1G-Michigan State
Big 12-Oklahoma but got a soft spot for OK State and TCU
SEC-LSU
AAC-Houston.

i also enjoy watching CUSA football.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
SMU went undefeated in 1987 and 1988, you should pick them for this very reason.

Baylor also has a solid rep!

These are good options. Vanderbilt is another good one.

If we are picking teams by conference

ACC-Clemson
B1G-Michigan State
Big 12-Oklahoma but got a soft spot for OK State and TCU
SEC-LSU
AAC-Houston.

Houston is a baller team, but they might have the ugliest campus in the country. HM: Rutgers

i also enjoy watching CUSA football.

Closet Old Dominion fan? :sarcasm:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Hell no. Southern Miss, Baw. I took a recruiting visit to Houston and it was a pretty boring campus. Of course with its new influx of cash, this could change.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
UK - from the state, always drawn more towards them than Louisville

'Bama - great aunt lives there and is the definition of a booster, not really a fan per say but as a kid I was given the holy word of the Tide whenever I saw her.

Florida St - most of my cousins are from Louisville and are huge Cards fans... I wanted to like a rival team to mess with them and the 'Noles are the closest team to my families vacation place in Florida

A & M - no reason, just kinda always liked them and considered going to school there.

Went to WKY.

By Conference

ACC- Florida State
B1G- Michigan State
Big 12 - Baylor
SEC - See above
AAC - SMU

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad