What classifies a player as a star in the NHL?

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
The term "superstar" is pretty easy to understand. I think most of us would probably consider a superstar player to be one of the faces of the League, the best among the best, and a player whose name is recognized even by non-hockey fans. Current superstar players include Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, and Nathan MacKinnon.

However, I'm interested in determining what classifies a player into the next tier down. To you, what classifies a player as a star player? For forwards, are stars those players who score at around a point-per-game pace or maybe goal-scorers who usually score 40 or more goals per year? For defensemen, should they be those who score 50 points per year? 60? Or are they typically any top-pairing defender? For goalies, should they be consistently among the league leaders in GAA and SV%?

What does a player need to do to fall into the tier below superstar status?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I'd say Super star is top 5 in your position as a skater or top 3 as a goalie.

Then True Number 1 Dman and true 1C but not super star is a star (not just top 32 centres/Dmen)

For goalies I'd say goalies 4-8 are stars.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
John Tavares, Alex Pietrangelo, Marc-Andre Fleury would be my idea of stars.

Consistently a #1 C/D/G, but usually not in serious conversation for Hart, Norris, Vezina etc. Arguably with some level of marketability. The sort of guys who wind up at a lot of all-star games, but usually don't win awards.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Get on the all-star game ballot, mostly. Sometimes being a star is just being your team's best ____, and you don't need to be over a point per game for them to hang a big banner with your face on it outside the building.

If superstars are required to show a level of performance, then I think stars are just the opposite and vary regularly depending on behavior and location.

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
Stars are first liners that are consistently one of the top 5-15 players at their position. They are skilled enough to be shoe-ins for international best-on-best rosters for the big 6 nations, are regularly the leading scorers on their team (or close to it), have some degree of name marquee due to their points totals and accolades, and are regularly are in contention for awards even though they don't win often or at all.

This would be players like Backstrom, Giroux, Gaudreau, Scheifele, Rantanen, Aho, Pietrangelo, Suter, Letang, etc.

Anyone better (e.g. McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Kane, Hedman, Carlson) are superstars. Anyone slightly worse is just a very good player

Last edited:
Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You know how we always have those arguments over the top 31 C's/D's and then somebody is inevitably like "well just because they're top 31 doesn't mean they're a REAL 1C/1D!!!!"

Stars are the "real" ones.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
You know how we always have those arguments over the top 31 C's/D's and then somebody is inevitably like "well just because they're top 31 doesn't mean they're a REAL 1C/1D!!!!"

Stars are the "real" ones.

This is a perfect definition of this useless term :laugh:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The term "superstar" is pretty easy to understand. I think most of us would probably consider a superstar player to be one of the faces of the League, the best among the best, and a player whose name is recognized even by non-hockey fans. Current superstar players include Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, and Nathan MacKinnon.

However, I'm interested in determining what classifies a player into the next tier down. To you, what classifies a player as a star player? For forwards, are stars those players who score at around a point-per-game pace or maybe goal-scorers who usually score 40 or more goals per year? For defensemen, should they be those who score 50 points per year? 60? Or are they typically any top-pairing defender? For goalies, should they be consistently among the league leaders in GAA and SV%?

What does a player need to do to fall into the tier below superstar status?

If those are the 5 people you're calling "superstars", then Draisaitl and MacKinnon shouldn't be there (unless you want to throw in Malkin, Kucherov, etc.).

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
John Tavares, Alex Pietrangelo, Marc-Andre Fleury would be my idea of stars.

Consistently a #1 C/D/G, but usually not in serious conversation for Hart, Norris, Vezina etc. Arguably with some level of marketability. The sort of guys who wind up at a lot of all-star games, but usually don't win awards.

All-Stars (game not teams) is actually a pretty good definition of 'stars', although there are some omissions each year.
All-Star teams are closer to superstars.

rogking65

May 13, 2016
Stars are first liners that are consistently one of the top 5-15 players at their position. They are skilled enough to be shoe-ins for international best-on-best rosters for the big 6 nations, are regularly the leading scorers on their team (or close to it), have some degree of name marquee due to their points totals and accolades, and are regularly are in contention for awards even though they don't win often or at all.

This would be guys Backstrom, Giroux, Gaudreau, Scheifele, Rantanen, Aho, Pietrangelo, Suter, Letang, etc.

Anyone better (e.g. McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Kane, Hedman, Carlson) are superstars. Anyone slightly worse is just a very good player

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
A player who is an inferior version of Dany Heatley.

There are stars, and then there are all-stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad