What classifies a player as a star in the NHL?

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Skill and marketability.

A skilled player who nobody cares about is a good player.
A skilled player who people care about is a star.
A really skilled player who lots of people care about is a superstar.
A really skilled player who has people acting like he's not cared enough about is Alexander Barkov.

Reactions: noname33

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Draisaitl and Mackinnon aren’t superstars? And Malkin is?

Yikes.

Well I was saying they all are or aren't, but yeah basically
The question isn't "who are the best 5 players in the league", which often changes year to year
You need some name recognition to be a superstar, and Malkin is an all-time great.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Skill and marketability.

A skilled player who nobody cares about is a good player.
A skilled player who people care about is a star.
A really skilled player who lots of people care about is a superstar.
A really skilled player who has people acting like he's not cared enough about is Alexander Barkov.

Basically all NHLers fall into one of the 4 categories good/star/superstar/Barkov

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Well I was saying they all are or aren't, but yeah basically
The question isn't "who are the best 5 players in the league", which often changes year to year
You need some name recognition to be a superstar, and Malkin is an all-time great.
Draisaitl is the reigning Art Ross, Lindsay, and Hart winner- there is no way he isn't considered a superstar, especially with 3 running seasons of being 2nd in production to McDavid

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
A player who goes out of his way to promote his own brand.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
According to Finnish yellow press, anyone that has played in the NHL in any capacity is an "NHL star". Sean Bergenheim was an NHL star. Yegor Sharangovich is an NHL star.

Reactions: ultra63 and johan f

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Mario Lemieux.
Didn't happen. In fact, you're literally proving my point. Lemieux couldn't get his team into the playoffs in the 80s and needed a stacked roster to finally win some team hardware.

Patrick Roy
This one didn't happen either. Go look at those Canadians rosters again and tell me that Roy did it all by himself. He didn't. Not with names like Robinson, Chelios, Carbonneau, Muller, Naslund, Smith, Lemieux, Damphousse, Gainey and Muller.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The categorization is personal but the question is as useful as "how many holes are in a straw."
I'll bite though.
Superstars are everyone with the name McDavid, Crosby and Ovechkin.
Next tier is subject to the sample group of observers.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I don't think there is a difference between star and superstar. It's an empty superlative of a superlative.

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
Superstars are major trophy winners or consistent PPG+ players (top 10-15 players in the league) (Kucherov, Draisaitl, Hedman, Mackinnon, etc)

Stars are some of the top players on their respective teams (top 10-15 for their position in the league) (Scheifele, Barkov, Aho, Carlson, etc)

Then you have the Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid types on another level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad