What athlete have you run into and hit it off with?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Regarding Tie, while the stories do sound far fetched, there have been a LOT of tales over the years about the guy being a bit of a jerk.

Reactions: Odenseye

Odenseye

Aug 17, 2018
Growing up I was friends with Brent burns sister. Played a bit of hockey with him. He and his family were always very friendly. I haven't talked to him since he got traded to San Jose, so it's been awhile.
Met Tyler Kennedy at my college.
My brother played hockey with Josh levio and still hangs out with him sometimes.

Met Keith Richards at a huge concert in Toronto. I was there for some work and was standing in the staff area in the middle looking out at how huge of a crowd was there. Up walks this guy and stands beside me, mentions the crowd being large and I look over and go holy ahit your... he laughed and signed my shirt and staff pass and went on his way.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Was at a bar in Toronto, with my younger brother and his friend. Seen Tie Domi there and got our picture taken with him. I said to Tie that I need a partner for a game of pool to take on my brother and his friend. He said sure. Tie and myself kicked their ass in pool, Tie never sunk a ball. I said to him, Tie your a great hockey player but I got to carry you in pool. He got a kick out of that.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
wow the stories just keep flying in

How is it that there are 5 full pages worth of people here who have these long and elaborate stories of how they met/hung out with athletes lol

Running into an athlete by pure chance is pretty rare and coincidental indeed - but somehow, there seems like hundreds of stories here already of how guys have somehow by pure chance bumped into an athlete (VERY rare) and hung out with them too, having their lunches paid for, playing pool, and being invited by these athletes to hang out at nightclubs clubs, concerts, etc - that's a hell of a lot of coincidences happening all on these forums lol

...or maybe just maybe there's a wee bit of exaggeration going on here ? ;)

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
wow the stories just keep flying in

How is it that there are 5 full pages worth of people here who have these long and elaborate stories of how they met/hung out with athletes lol
Maybe you should get out more?

Not sure why it's so rare? They are people, and walk among us. You make it seems like they exist on another plane.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
it's like my next door neighbour says gretzky bought him lunch once. then my other next door neighbour says he hung out with crosby at a nightclub once. then my neighbour across the street says he met steve yzerman in a pool hall once and played a round. then the neighbour behind me says he played golf with roberto alomar once. then the neighbour two doors down says that alex ovechkin is friends with his family and that he visits every few months.

i'm like huh? what kinds of odds are these??

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I worked for an ISP years ago and Pierre LeBrun called in from his cottage during installation. This was about 1 week after we got Kessel.

After the account confirmation, I thought to myself “**** it” and said:

“So... what do you think about the Kessel trade?”

LeBrun: “Uh... I’m going to hand the phone to the installer.”

That was it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Had drinks with Doughty at a generally packed bar in London, Ont but due to it being intersession and bad weather it was pretty deserted. Had some shots and said congrats on bringing home the gold. Another time in London, I was at a small pre-drink with a buddy of mine who was pretty good buddies with a guy on the Knights. So, I randomly was having drinks with Zac Rinaldo (and Phil Varone), he was actually a pretty nice guy.

I've met others in other circumstances. I had a distance cousin married to a very prominent Leaf for a decade or so. Got to meet this legend and talk hockey with him for like 2 hours when I was a kid, and he was arguably the biggest name in town. With it just being my parents, my dad's cousin, my 2nd cousin (who was married to the player), his daughter from his first marriage and the player. I met Keon at a Hockey Camp that his grandson was attending at St. Mikes and got his autograph. Another time when I was a kid the Russian Leafs were doing a signing at Centerpoint Mall, and I went. Actually had a decent convo with Yuskevich who I remembered was ultra-friendly. Some of the others were nice, but they didn't really have good English (and RIP to Igor Korolov and Karpotsov).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad