Music: What are your ten favorite bands/artists of the 90's?

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Threads like this help me discover things I might have missed. Feel free to define "of the 90's" as you wish.

1. Teenage Fanclub
2. Unwound
3. The Olivia Tremor Control
4. Melvins
5. Pavement
6. Stereolab
7. Brand Nubian/Grand Puba solo
8. The Flaming Lips (god they were awesome for awhile)
9. Mercury Rev
10. De La Soul

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Wow you REALLY like Teenage Fanclub, I thought they were good but never that much love, though they manage to still make music which is a bonus at least. I'm assuming criteria is to come out in the 90s or late 80s and have at least 2 or 3 albums in the 90s? Tbh it's a wash after the top four for me, can substitute a dozen others in place

1. kent
2. Radiohead
3. Blur
4. Manic Street Preachers
The Bluetones
Porcupine Tree
Portishead
Pulp
The Auteurs
Supergrass

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Wow you REALLY like Teenage Fanclub, I thought they were good but never that much love, though they manage to still make music which is a bonus at least. I'm assuming criteria is to come out in the or late 90s and have at least 2 or 3 albums in the 90s? Tbh it's a wash after the top four for me, can substitute a dozen others in place

1. kent
2. Radiohead
3. Blur
4. Manic Street Preachers
The Bluetones
Porcupine Tree
Portishead
Pulp
The Auteurs
Supergrass

:laugh: Yeah I do. 3 incredible albums imo. Almost perfect.

My criteria is pretty loose. 2 albums in the 90's seems fair, maybe even 1 if you love it.

Never hear of kent or Bluetones, will have to check them out

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Couldn't cut off at 10.

1. Aphex Twin
-----
2. Public Enemy
3. Talk Talk
4. My Bloody Valentine
-----
5. Autechre
6. Ali Farka Toure
7. Boards of Canada
8. Orbital
-----
9. DJ Shadow
10. Nas
11. Future Sounds of London
-----
12. The Orb
13. Boredoms
14. A Tribe Called Quest
15. Stereolab

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Portishead

Portishead was cool. A similar 9os band, that didn't seem to get much love was K's Choice..

My opinion, Failure was also a very underrated 9os band.

Layne Staley' Alice in Chains was probably my favorite band of the early & mid 9os..

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
In no particular order

Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Foo Fighters
Moist
Radiohead
Collective Soul
Live
R.E.M.
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Green Day
Soundgarden

I did 11 :)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
No order, just listed in alphabetical:

Alice in Chains
Cypress Hill
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
Offspring
Pennywise
Rancid
Soundgarden
Sublime
Tool

I normally wouldn't have included Cypress Hill but I wanted to have someone who wasn't rock, and Cypress Hill is easily my favourite rap group from the 1990s.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
1. Aqua
2. Britney Spears
3. Daft Punk
4. Cake
5. Mariah Carey
6. Goo Goo Dolls
7. Collective Soul
8. R.E.M.
9. Roxette
10. Savage Garden

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Ben Folds Five
The Semantics
Adam Daniel
The Tories
Elliott Smith
The Merrymakers
The Cardigans
Jellyfish
The Toadies
Superdrag

Last edited:

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Fugazi
At the Drive-In
Drive Like Jehu
Snapcase
Hot Cross
Mineral
Boys Life
Zao
Vision of Disorder
Fear Factory

Nice one.

I'm going to classify this as bands that I vividly remember listening to constantly in the 90's:

White Zombie
Deftones
Rage Against the Machine
Rammstein
Tool
Nine Inch Nails
Zao
Incubus
(hed) PE
Coal Chamber

Edit: Snot, man. Can't believe I forgot them.

I've refined my tastes musically, but god do I love going back and listening to stuff I remember listening to when I was a teenager. Have a feeling I'm gonna be listening to a lot of Nu Metal today

Last edited:

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Based on their 90's output only:

1. Pearl Jam
2. Uncle Tupelo
3. Son Volt
4. Wilco
5. The Black Crowes
6. Ass Ponys
7. Cracker
8. Neil Young
9. Lyle Lovett
10. Social Distortion/Mike Ness

11. Los Straitjackets
12. Steve Earle
13. Phish
14. Brian Jonestown Massacre
15. Richmond Fontaine
16. Songs: Ohia
17. James McMurtry
18. Johnny Cash
19. Lucinda Williams
20. Beth Orton
21. Pixies/Frank Black
22. Chris Isaak
23. Weezer
24. The Bottle Rockets
25. Southern Culture on the Skids

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Straw

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
90s are not really up there as my favorite decade of music but there's definitely still some great stuff. It was pretty easy to separate the cream of the crop, lots of my other favorite 90s stuff is generally only 1 fantastic album with the rest of the meat of the band coming in another decade (Poison the Well, MBV) or in other cases 1-2 album wonders (Botch, Zao) lacking the consistency of the other bands' outputs.

1) Megadeth
90s releases: Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction, Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings, Risk

This might be somewhat controversial, but the first half of 90s is easily the best era of Megadeth imo. Rust in Peace is arguably the best metal album of all time and the transition from thrash metal into a more traditional heavy metal style on Countdown to Extinction is very well executed. And then comes Youthanasia. The first truly "sellout album" where Mustaine proves that it can be done with grace and selling out doesn't necessarily mean that music quality has to drop. Cryptic Writings gets even more poppy and ends up being one of the most underrated Megadeth albums. Risk is Risk and we won't talk about it. Breadline is catchy and it's no longer the worst Megadeth album. Still not enough to bring the rest down.

2) No Doubt
90s releases: No Doubt, Beacon Street Collection, Tragic Kingdom

Tragic Kingdom by itself would have been enough to land No Doubt in this top 10 but the charm of their earlier albums shoots them up to #2.

3) Portishead
90s releases: Dummy, Portishead, Roseland NYC Live

How can you argue against pure brilliance? Thinking about it more, this should be #2 but I'm too lazy to rearrange the post at this point so meh. Roseland NYC Live might just be the best live album I have ever.

4) The Gathering
90s releases: Always... (who cares), Almost a Dance (who cares), Mandylion, Nighttime Birds, How to Measure a Planet

The 90s were a simple time, a time before The Gathering completed their transition from a doom metal based band into art rock and then into some synth stuff that was still awesome. Mandylion and HTMAP are the stepping stones of both directions, with Nighttime Birds merging the best of both worlds, being a pinnacle of The Gathering's discography, until Souvenirs at least. That said, every Anneke album is at the very worst a very strong 8/10 so you can't really go wrong with any of them.

5) Blind Guardian
90s releases: Tales From The Twilight World, Somewhere Far Beyond, Imaginations From the Other Side, Nightfall in Middle-Earth

In contrast, BG is a band that truly found its sound in the early 90s. Switching from blaring speed metal of the first 2 albums to the epic power metal sound they are most known for. Every album is brilliant.

6) Deströyer 666
90s releases: Unchain the Wolves, Six Songs With the Devil (EP), Violence Is the Prince of This World (EP), Satanic Speed Metal (EP)

Ok I know I said I wouldn't have bands with only 1 90s album on the list but sorry, Unchain the Wolves is just THAT good and D666 also released 3 great EPs in the decade. With their debut album, K.K. Warslut and friends declared "we are the kings of black/thrash" and then they never looked back (until 2009 but we can forgive that if a crappy album is preceded by the greatest 3-album stretch in history of music, right?).

7) Master's Hammer
90s releases: Rituál, Jilemnický Okultista, Šlágry

Two flawless cult classics, the pioneers of 2nd wave black metal are absolutely deserving of a spot on this list, even if Šlágry was a weird and unnecessary release.

8) Skyclad
90s releases: Wayward Sons of Mother Earth, A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol, Jonah's Ark, Prince of the Poverty Line, The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea, Irrational Anthems, Oui Avant-Garde á Chance, The Answer Machine?, Vintage Whine

One of those bands that will never blow you away with a singular masterpiece record but every single album is great. I couldn't decide which one was the best if you put a gun to my head (I would probably go with The Answer Machine? but it wouldn't be 100% sincere). 90s were Skyclad's decade and neither Martin Walkyier nor the rest of the band have reached this kind of level ever since.

9) Sigh
90s releases: Scorn Defeat, Infidel Art, Ghastly Funeral Theatre (EP), Hail Horror Hail, Scenario IV: Dread Dreams

Another band that was trying to find their sound in this decade, though it's debatable whether they ever have or even tried to. 90s Sigh still fully embraced black metal as the basis of everything they've done and even though it was likely holding them back in a way, it results in a bunch of very charming records, ranging from the fairly traditional Scorn Defeat to the crazy and disjointed Scenario IV.

10) Converge
90s releases: Halo in a Haystack (who cares), Petitioning the Empty Sky, When Forever Comes Crashing

I had to fit one of the hardcore bands that I really enjoy in here and Converge won out. In the end, it's hard to argue against the sheer song quality on the 2 full-lengths they put out in the 90s. And no, the debut doesn't count.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My Bloody Valentine
Portishead
Oasis
Radiohead
The La's
Garbage
The Cranberries
The Charlatans
Teenage Fanclub
Porcupine Tree

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Probably Korn and Limp Bizkit

Curious X ,, Can you listen to that music now?

I recently tried to listen to stuff like Korn , Limp Bizkit , Staind , etc that I was fan of in Jr High and HS and well it sounds like trash to me now

I think back to my HS days going to Q101 Jamboree and other concerts with my absurd baggy pants and other 90's/early 00's fashions and it makes me :facepalm:

Honestly now at this point I listen to a lot of Phil Collins and stuff (Easy Listening) or old Motown. If you had told me in 1999 when I was freshman that I would one day be listening to stuff like Sade and Christopher Cross, I would have likely laughed it off

Stuff like Blues Traveler , Pearl Jam , Gin Blossoms , etc is still good music though from 90's. Just cant stand the nonsense rap/rock and other music I listened too in Jr High and High School

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004

I recently tried to listen to stuff like Korn , Limp Bizkit , Staind , etc that I was fan of in Jr High and HS and well it sounds like trash to me now

I think back to my HS days going to Q101 Jamboree and other concerts with my absurd baggy pants and other 90's/early 00's fashions and it makes me :facepalm:

Honestly now at this point I listen to a lot of Phil Collins and stuff (Easy Listening) or old Motown. If you had told me in 1999 when I was freshman that I would one day be listening to stuff like Sade and Christopher Cross, I would have likely laughed it off

Stuff like Blues Traveler , Pearl Jam , Gin Blossoms , etc is still good music though from 90's. Just cant stand the nonsense rap/rock and other music I listened too in Jr High and High School

I know I can. I've spent all morning listening to 90's nu metal stuff because of this thread. It's a nostalgia thing. Reminds me of times and places from when I was young when I listen. I can certainly it's overall quality, but it's fun.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
How Green Day is only listed in one person's list is a travesty. Dookie is such a great album and made them a popular 90's band.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The La's
The Charlatans

I liked Cast more than The La's but you can argue quality vs quantity there. For me I need more than one album so I take Cast plus I really like All Change. I thought about putting The Charlatans on mine, one of the most consistent bands in the 90s but I don't think any of their albums would place high enough for me....they were all just very solid with at least a few highlight tracks.

My opinion, Failure was also a very underrated 9os band.

Failure definetely get my vote for one of the underrated American 90s bands along with Low and Morphine. I think they'd be close to my top 10 but some albums could use trimming on the discography.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

No. It's so, so bad. Oddly enough though, Korn just released an album last year and they have a concert at the Toyota Center on Saturday night. Figured they would've dropped off by now.

Then again, Blink 182 is headlining at Lolla this year so maybe I underestimate people's love of nostalgia

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
How Green Day is only listed in one person's list is a travesty. Dookie is such a great album and made them a popular 90's band.

For sure. For the purpose of this thread though, I omitted them because they've been going strong in the decades since (same goes for Weezer, RHCP, and Eels). I wanted my list to be more centered on groups that were only really active in the 90s, or, if they still tour, had the majority of their albums released in the 90s.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

I like 1990s punk, I like 1990s Green Day a lot, but there's a lot more punk from the 1990s I like and would listen to more than Green Day. I'll listen to Rancid, Offspring, Bad Religion, probably even NOFX over Green Day. I think Green Day's average output in the 2000s has soured me on their sound. Certainly is the case with Red Hot Chili Peppers for me. I can't even listen to their early stuff anymore.

I always hated Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, guys like that. But Korn's not so bad. Jonathan Davis is a pretty solid songwriter.

Lot's of rap-rock is good (like RATM for example). I don't like painting it with a sweeping brush.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Embarrassed to have liked them as a teenager, but they're just awful, IMO.

The bands Nullus Reverentia listed are far better, I think.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
no order

Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Tool
RHCP
Stone Roses
RATM
2Pac
Korn