HF Habs: What are your initial impressions of the Habs 2023 Draft class?

Overall INITIAL grade?

• Total voters

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You can hire your ex-clients, friends and families but you need to make sure their added value will be better than what you traded for.

A late 1st and an early 2nd are pretty nice picks which can fetch you a Subban or a Pleckanec. You basicly have 2 shots at a key player for your organisation. Newhook will have to be at least as good as one of the 2 potential players we sacrificed for him. If in 3 years he flops and the 2 picks who we would have picked end up being 2 top6/top4 players than at that point you gotta look at your GM and be wtf you did?
There is no way to know what the 2 picks might have been because we don't know who they would have drafted. I expect Newhook to be a 70 pt forward so he will be better than anything they could have drafted.
And as I have said before there is NOTHING wrong with nepotism if you are hiring competent people. as opposed to MB whose friends were all incompetent at their jobs.

Reactions: Big Lurk

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
in my 20+ years on this site, I've had people threaten my life by showing they found out where I lived, I had a stalker because I kept saying how terrible Lefebvre was and he didn't like it. I've been called a Nazi and a French lover or hater depending on which side the poster was on that I gave them a warning (all this was back in the day, very different HF and mod stuff has really changed for the better in terms of not having to get into it with posters like that. As on this board it was if you warned the poster and he was say bashing French players, then I was just a French loving player and vise versa.
That’s so crazy. Sorry you had to deal with that

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Point1: There is no way to know what the 2 picks might have been because we don't know who they would have drafted. I expect Newhook to be a 70 pt forward so he will be better than anything they could have drafted.
Point2: And as I have said before there is NOTHING wrong with nepotism if you are hiring competent people. as opposed to MB whose friends were all incompetent at their jobs.
Point1: Molson, Hughes and the rest of the scouting team knew who they would have picked at each position

Point2: That's what i said

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
In this case it referred to hiring buddies and trading for former clients that make no sense for the team. It can also extend to friends.

I'd rather just hiring the best people for the job... And Bobrov wasn't it.
Going by dictionary.com:

patronage bestowed or favoritism shown on the basis of family relationship, as in business and politics

I’m worried about Bobrov, too. His record is less than stellar.

There is no way to know what the 2 picks might have been because we don't know who they would have drafted. I expect Newhook to be a 70 pt forward so he will be better than anything they could have drafted.
And as I have said before there is NOTHING wrong with nepotism if you are hiring competent people. as opposed to MB whose friends were all incompetent at their jobs.
With MB it wasn’t just hiring people it was keeping them in their roles long after they had made it completely clear they were unsuited for that role.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Do I have to write "in my opinion" at the beginning of every post I make or is it not implied that everyone posting on here is usually stating their opinion?

Nitpicking as a debating tactic is pretty weaksauce, dude.

You made a baseless take, don't be so thin skinned for it being called out as such.

It's one thing to have the opinion that Bobrov "wasn't the best person for the job", quite another to offer it up as fact.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
You made a baseless take, don't be so thin skinned for it being called out as such.

It's one thing to have the opinion that Bobrov "wasn't the best person for the job", quite another to offer it up as fact.

In my opinion, your take on my opinion is baseless... And yet you stated it as fact.

You toxic positives are always so high and mighty about calling people out huh? Gotta call those people out. Newsflash. Your takes aren't better than anyone else's.

Don't be thin-skinned because I saw through your disingenuous nitpicking and called you out for it. ;)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
In my opinion, your take on my opinion is baseless... And yet you stated it as fact.

You toxic positives are always so high and mighty about calling people out huh? Gotta call those people out. Newsflash. Your takes aren't better than anyone else's.

Don't be thin-skinned because I saw through your disingenuous nitpicking and called you out for it. ;)
:cf:

Have fun.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
I usually have great enthusiasm about upcoming draft but not this year. It feels like last year let down has completely drained all my hope about the habs drafting good offensive players.
I feel ya. I'm coping by thinking that now they definitely have their defense setup right? Right? I feel like picking a forward next draft is such a no brainer, but we'll see.

I've been so disappointed with later picks though so I really only care about our 1st.

Reactions: atrud66

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I usually have great enthusiasm about upcoming draft but not this year. It feels like last year let down has completely drained all my hope about the habs drafting good offensive players.
What was last year let down? Are you referring to Michkov?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
So basically, you like 1 way forward who can't defend? ok.
I like offensive talents, yes. No Habs player have had over 40+ goals or 90pts in decades. I guess having a bunch of average players is what you like? Ok.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I like offensive talents, yes. No Habs player have had over 40+ goals or 90pts in decades. I guess having a bunch of average players is what you like? Ok.

Nope, weird conclusion, grasping at straws much?

I prefer a Point to a Caufield. Similar size, similar attributes, Caufield will probably score the 40g that you want, but he's far less useful than Point. Not sure why I had to explain this. Michkov might get 100 pts, but you won't win cups with his 1 way play. Celebrini might get 80 pts but he has the stuff to win cups like Jonathan Toews.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
So basically, you like 1 way forward who can't defend? ok.

Caufield is the reason Michkov was highly unlikely. You can't have 2 of those and win cups.
I mean, that's not necessarily true. You can insulate them on separate lines and have that dual-threat, 40+ goal potential. However, too many people take it for granted that Michkov is going to be a star, and I'm not entirely sold yet.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Nope, weird conclusion, grasping at straws much?

I prefer a Point to a Caufield. Similar size, similar attributes, Caufield will probably score the 40g that you want, but he's far less useful than Point. Not sure why I had to explain this. Michkov might get 100 pts, but you won't win cups with his 1 way play. Celebrini might get 80 pts but he has the stuff to win cups like Jonathan Toews.
I prefer good offensive players over defensive players. Simple, hockey is more fun when you score goals.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I prefer good offensive players over defensive players. Simple, hockey is more fun when you score goals.

Same, but it's even more fun when you win cups. Unless you are happy with a Toronto-like result. I suspect you won't be after a few years of not passing the first round of the playoffs.

I mean, that's not necessarily true. You can insulate them on separate lines and have that dual-threat, 40+ goal potential. However, too many people take it for granted that Michkov is going to be a star, and I'm not entirely sold yet.

There is really NO example of a cup winner with multiple 1 way forwards of this type. One is necessary. Two is probably difficult because you start losing too much on the goal differential at even strength. Philly was a great destination for Michkov; he will be their one.

Last edited:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Yes, that. Only player I wanted more than Caufield.
Ok.

You are making it a bit personal. They just did not draft your personal favourite mate. Its not a let down.

A team of pro scouts, former top agents and execs (fwiw) thoughts that a prime RD was a better bet for whatever reasons.

I am not sure that them skipping Michkov means they can't draft offensive talent. It feels more like a biases than a real, tangible link. I would argue that every move they have made so far points to this front office being agressive and betting agressively on upside.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Ok.

You are making it a bit personal. They just did not draft your personal favourite mate. Its not a let down.

A team of pro scouts, former top agents and execs (fwiw) thoughts that a prime RD was a better bet for whatever reasons.

I am not sure that them skipping Michkov means they can't draft offensive talent. It feels more like a biases than a real, tangible link. I would argue that every move they have made so far points to this front office being agressive and betting agressively on upside.
Or just maybe, they saw Michkov as being a smallish, talented forward who lacks the elite skating ability that would permit him to achieve the level of success and impact in the NHL that the prevailing consensus was so married to. Just maybe they were right.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
And the board was massively hyped up about a number of drafts over the years that produced nothing. Brown, Wilkie, and Fitzpatrick were the habs future D, Collberg would star, lots of good feelings. I'm not sure about the multiple goalies but I'm not sure it's a bad thing that a lot of the players chosen werent' the TSN/RDS/TVA choices because the media choices, outside the top 5 slam dunks, usually stink, and often even when they hype the top guys.

It's not like all these guys are going to be stars and you want to get the one who is incrementally better. Maybe half or fewer of the top 10 will have any impact, a handful in the rest of the first round, a couple in the second, and a few in the remaining rounds. Incremental differences matter for the first dozen or two players, after that you are projecting and hoping. Take the guy who is six months younger, take overagers who had a better year, the guy who was hurt and didn't get exposure, the guy from an obscure league, the guy who still has a growth spurt coming...

It's hard to say how much impact luck has. Do teams get that great guy at 7, or Caufield at 15 because they are brilliant or because the GMs picking earlier messed up? Is there a better way of picking than just points corrected by league with a size caveat?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad