What are your expectations for next season?

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
This has been a burning question I’ve wanted to ask the crew all postseason but I wanted to wait until the end.

I think mine is to win at least one playoff round.

What about you? Do you expect conference finals or better for next season?

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
What are my expectations? I think we'll see a similar team, possibly just a little bit better on account of having some cap space to grab a legit defenseman to pair with Montour or some depth at forward.

I also expect to be frustrated with the special teams again.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Good choice of the word “expectations” (as opposed to predictions or wishes).

I agree with most who say improve the bottom half. Zito should be able to do so, because of enough money coming off the books and because Florida is now legit among NHL players. Also - most of them can look in the mirror and say “I’m better than M Staal”, “I’m way better than White” … etc.

I should call the next one a wish, but I’m going to elevate it to an expectation. I expect Spencer Knight to be back.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It's going to be a slow start. I expect probably to sneak into the playoffs again, but we're going to have trouble to start the year with all the injuries sustained on this run

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Sounding like another slow start with multiple players recovering
I expect that they give some younger guys a chance early in the season. Players like Denisenko should get more games. The question is how ready those injured players are physically that come back when the season already has started.

We need a roster with more quality players and Stanley Cup as target. Cannot go from the SCF for not reaching the playoffs.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Make the playoffs without a fluke win from the last place team.

Fix the special teams. Add depth that Pomo will actually play.

Beyond that I can't really say without seeing what Zito does this summer.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
So everyone will be day to day to start the season I take it..

Actually pretty dope. Season starts in 4 months instead of the usual 6.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Zito has his work cut out for him. We need stronger forward depth and a top four defensemen.

The Staals should be gone. Givani Smith can kick rocks. Colin White I’d rather move on from but if he takes less money then I’m okay with him as a replacement level forward. Nick Cousins was okay but he shouldn’t be consistently in our top-9 like he was in the playoffs. Gudas was good but he’s getting older and he was really beat up in this run. We should probably begin preparing for a replacement for him sooner rather than later.

We need to know how Spencer Knight is coming along as well. Will he be available when training camp comes around.

We have guys like Denisenko, Carlsson, and Heponiemi who could challenge for a roster spot but ultimately if they’re not in our plans then they should be moved this off-season for guys who will contribute to the current roster.

Putting these lines down for no particular reason.

Bennett-Barkov-Verhaeghe
Tkachuk-Lundell-Reinhart
Duclair-Lustorainen-?
Lomberg-?-?
?-?

Forsling-Montour
?-Ekblad
Mahura-?
?

Bob
Knight(?)

That’s 8 or 9 spots Zito needs to address this off-season.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Sounds like we may be down Tkachuk, Bennett, Ekblad to start the year. A lot will depend on how guys heal up and what our roster will actually look like next year, but my expectations will be playoffs and then...we'll see.

I've learned to not go into any season with any expectations to be honest...this season has reinforced that even more.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Zito has his work cut out for him. We need stronger forward depth and a top four defensemen.

The Staals should be gone. Givani Smith can kick rocks. Colin White I’d rather move on from but if he takes less money then I’m okay with him as a replacement level forward. Nick Cousins was okay but he shouldn’t be consistently in our top-9 like he was in the playoffs. Gudas was good but he’s getting older and he was really beat up in this run. We should probably begin preparing for a replacement for him sooner rather than later.

We need to know how Spencer Knight is coming along as well. Will he be available when training camp comes around.

We have guys like Denisenko, Carlsson, and Heponiemi who could challenge for a roster spot but ultimately if they’re not in our plans then they should be moved this off-season for guys who will contribute to the current roster.

Putting these lines down for no particular reason.

Bennett-Barkov-Verhaeghe
Tkachuk-Lundell-Reinhart
Duclair-Lustorainen-?
Lomberg-?-?
?-?

Forsling-Montour
?-Ekblad
Mahura-?
?

Bob
Knight(?)

That’s 8 or 9 spots Zito needs to address this off-season.

Carlsson is UFA
Heponiemi repotable looking to sign a deal in Eurooe

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021
It is cup or bust next season.

It's going to be a slow start. I expect probably to sneak into the playoffs again, but we're going to have trouble to start the year with all the injuries sustained on this run
Not taking that excuse. The hurt guys will be back and a couple prob will not be on the team anyways. Maruice does not get another slow start . It is win the division or GTFO. It is win the Cup or GTFO.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I expect them to be in a playoff spot at Thanksgiving; comfortably make the playoffs, win a round. Anything less is a failure.

I would also like for the young guys to get some actual real opportunities instead of the "five minutes on the fourth line" bullshit, less infatuation with the vets and special teams that actually look decent, but I'm not all that hopeful about those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad