What are you sentimental about that no one else would be?

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
... :laugh: oh dear. Those olde tyme radios can be hit & miss that way but as you can see above @BigBadBruins7708 has one, excellent sound, obviously a connoisseur who both appreciates & demands audiophile quality. You get a much deeper, richer sound than you do with exclusively solid state circuitry builds. So worth fixing up, reconditioning if budget allows. A lot of them are hybrid tube/solid state which is fine but if exclusively solid state I wouldnt bother. There are a lot of things from the past that are superior to so called advanced (read cheaper to build) products, radios, home stereo etc included. Mass produced junk. Listening experience, be it a hockey game, music or whatever far superior through a tube or tube/solid state unit for sure.

They are unique sound wise I think it has a lot to with the use of wood within the circuits , like old wooden guitar amps it produces a FAT sound.

Reactions: Killion

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Hitting some antique places with the Old Man lately, good way to spend time when I visit. I have seen many radios that caught my eye and will be keeping a eye and a ear out for a Grundig.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Hitting some antique places with the Old Man lately, good way to spend time when I visit. I have seen many radios that caught my eye and will be keeping a eye and a ear out for a Grundig.

.... :laugh: well now... just a minute here.... your a Canadian and here in North America we too produced some beautiful old radios, floor models & tabletop, all tube & tube~solid state, short-wave & long-wave every bit as good & many better than the best Grundig & other European plants put out..... so buy domestic. You were born here, buy Canadian or American if even now antique. Parts & service far easier to come by.

Indeed, Canada & the US producing some of the most attractive & finest sounding ever produced. RCA, Crosley etc etc etc... Northern Electric an excellent brand as well, bakelite finishes to exotic wood veneers & so on. We had a bunch of them when I was a kid growing up. Console, mantle & tabletop. All tube. All working & regularly serviced, new tubes replacing old even if not burned out.

So ya, those were the brands & types on from coast~coast tuned in to Foster Hewitt back in the day.... Grundig, Telefunken & others in pre & post WW1 & 2, didnt really start arriving here in Canada & the US until post WW2 with immigration & those that were able, bringing their beautiful Grundigs & other brands along with them... a very few opening shops & importing them in from the old country (mostly German designed & made). Had to be re-wired due to the change in electrical current from overseas to North America.

Reactions: Tarantula

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
If you have the catalog, then you have the page!
Mine would be in an old cardboard box filled with other personal memorabilia from my childhood.

If I still had mine, I'd have scanned it for the crew! But I don't, hence my sentimentality...

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Sheldon Souray was one of my favorites growing up and he posted a photo on Instagran talking about how nice his time in Montreal was and how much it mean t to him. That just brought all the emotions out.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
My uncle's radio was this model ... exactly.

Huge, but surprisingly not heavy.

radio_Zenith_TO_B600_working_15jul2011.jpg

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
The organ at the Montreal Forum. Thought Montreal's was the best, followed closely by Chicago.

Teams only having two jerseys, home and road. No special third jerseys for the second Thursday in January or any other nonsense.

I might be the only one who feels like this, but I miss NOT having to see the score and game clock constantly when I'm watching a game. I feel it takes up too much space and it gets larger by the year.

Players being older than me.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
A couple things:

1) The 1980 Topps hockey cards, which had a scratch off material (similar to what is found on instant lottery tickets) you needed to clear to see the name of the player. I thought that was pretty cool.

f6e6ef8c49de2071e1171f9c0c3a5654.jpg

2) The Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey - they probably weren't as good as the Hockey News preseason publications (which either weren't readily available where I lived or I wasn't aware of them when I was a kid), but they still had some good information, especially with some of the feature articles they had in the front of the book. I had (and still have) the 1985, 1986, 1987, and 1988 editions, and later acquired a 1982 edition. I think the hockey versions were discontinued after that, but the pro football, pro basketball, and baseball versions (of which I have many years of copies starting in the mid-1980s) were produced for at least another decade after that.

DKdCYbQVYAI5UCC.jpg

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The organ at the Montreal Forum. Thought Montreal's was the best, followed closely by Chicago.

Teams only having two jerseys, home and road. No special third jerseys for the second Thursday in January or any other nonsense.

I might be the only one who feels like this, but I miss NOT having to see the score and game clock constantly when I'm watching a game. I feel it takes up too much space and it gets larger by the year.

Players being older than me.

I wish there was more of a blend of organ music at hockey games. There was a simplicity to it. At one point that's all there was and it fit well with hockey. I don't know about other venues in other sports necessarily but the majority of my baseball games I go to are in Toronto at the Rogers Centre. I don't even know if there is an organ there as whoever is in charge does his best to make sure the ADD crowd is well taken care of. But I find when I've gone to Wrigley Field or Fenway Park there is still a lot of organ music that is played in between innings and such. A couple of years ago I remember them playing "Que, Sera, Sera" as people were leaving at the end of the game. It was such a throwback thing to do I thought but probably normal at Fenway.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Mine is from the old Finnish league. I was a HIFK fan. Jokerit had won the first two games in a best of five series. HIFK then went to win the next decisive three by playing disgusting goon hockey with 3 or 4 guys in the penalty box at the 3rd period of the deciding 5th game. My then idol Matti Hagman among others laughing. HIFK won and I became a Jokerit fan. I was 11. Couple years later Jokerit dropped to the division. Ticketprices in the "divari" were like one dollar and I watched almost all Jokerit home games for two seasons. (and ate my share of corndogs)

Reactions: Dingo

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, cool! That 1988 one (lower right), published just after the 1987 playoffs, was the first hockey book I had with stats and so on. What was cool was that it had random notes about the main players on each team, and then listed their career stats. I learned, for example, that Al MacInnis was a movie-buff from that book, and that Glenn Anderson said he'd be just as happy salmon-fishing as playing pro hockey. I used to read stuff in there before going to bed in 7th grade... nice memories!

I also recall desperately looking for the next edition in summer/fall 1988, and it seemed not to exist, which sucked. Was that last one you have indeed the final one?

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Wow, cool! That 1988 one (lower right), published just after the 1987 playoffs, was the first hockey book I had with stats and so on. What was cool was that it had random notes about the main players on each team, and then listed their career stats. I learned, for example, that Al MacInnis was a movie-buff from that book, and that Glenn Anderson said he'd be just as happy salmon-fishing as playing pro hockey. I used to read stuff in there before going to bed in 7th grade... nice memories!

I also recall desperately looking for the next edition in summer/fall 1988, and it seemed not to exist, which sucked. Was that last one you have indeed the final one?

I'm pretty sure the 1988 edition (as you noted, printed prior to the 1987-88 season) was the final one produced for hockey. I also looked for a while for the 1989 edition in mid-1988 but never found it. The football (NFL), baseball (MLB), and basketball (NBA) versions of the Handbook were produced for a number of years after the hockey version was discontinued.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
I was in shit for something in grade 5. My after school punishment was to do some research to help my teacher pick the staff playoff pool. He wanted Islanders and Oilers, Flames and Flyers secondarily, I think. I think he just assigned me to list what the top players had for points in the regular season.
I wasn’t smart enough for ratios, but I did recognize that some guys had missed games, so I added a + column for points over games played. The teacher told me to ignore plus/minus, but when I explained he was pretty impressed.

Anyways, what am I nostalgic for? Mikko Makela! I doubt I ever watched him actually play, but it’s the first name that made me say, ‘huh’?

I’m nostalgic for those old Euros with the crazy names that got flack from the old timers, but ultimately were the pioneers for bringing in some great, great players not too long afterwards. I don’t know why, but I always loved the Stastnys, Loob, Naslund.... just seemed like the cards were stacked against them... ya,I guess that’s why I loved them.

Reactions: jj cale

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018

Cool about Anderson. He also retired to play in Europe just because he could travel that way. Funny player. Good, no doubt. Got to win everything many times, was probably carried or lifted more than nearly every other player ever, to heights where he is absolutely overrated, as genuinely good as he was. Just seemed to casually fall into all of it, nonchalant, living everyone else’s dream.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Okay, I'll explain this one. It can be anything. A player you liked, an era that you liked that wasn't popular, a team no one liked, anything. Heck, maybe you are sentimental about those coveralls the Flyers wore in the early 1980s. Whatever it is, post it.

For me a sentimental time in hockey is not one that is shared by many. It was the first round of the 1998 playoffs. Look, this was not an exciting postseason in general. The first round wasn't either. It had one Game 7 and that game was a 4-0 blowout. So why am I a sucker for the 1st round in 1998? My Leafs weren't even in it. The day the playoffs started I got my 4 wisdom teeth pulled. All of them. They put me under for it and once I woke up and the novocaine wore off the throbbing pain set in. It didn't last, but I was out of commission for a while. Drowsy, flared up cheeks on the inside and out and just tired overall. I ate apple sauce, chocolate pudding and ice cream more or less for a few days.

But..............I was glued to the TV every night for the playoffs. I watched every game that was on, and this was 1998 when CBC and maybe just TSN had the games. It didn't matter. To this day I associate the first round of the 1998 playoffs with my wisdom teeth.
how old are you, Phil?

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Oh, it was just godawful dreadful stuff but it just didn't seem to matter, I wish I could find a stick of it today.
I loved that gum, man. Just the gum and what Oiler or goalie did I get! I’m not even from Edmonton, but they were rockstars. And goalies, I guess it was just because they were rarer, but they were prized at my school.
I liked the gum, damnit!

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
This is really going back into my early memory-banks, but I remember the 1982-83 NHL hockey-sticker book. It was all the rage at Elementary school when I was about 7, but I remember it. Anyone recall these? You could buy the stickers, just like hockey cards with bubble-gum, in a plastic wrap case (I think) and then you'd open it and see which players you'd get. The disappointment was in getting the same stickers twice. And there were always those 1 or 2 players on page 12 or whatever that nobody seemed to ever have (obviously the book's way of fleecing kids to buy more). I even remember the picture of Gretzky celebrating a goal on the back cover, and the format of the 'rectangles' inside onto which you'd paste the stickers....
I was part of the Gretzky fan club, had so much stuff mailed to me. My Grandpa from Edmonton signed me up for it, and also took me to a game in about 86, vs the North Stars. Just domination. Those guys were superheroes, even for a Canucks kid. Wayne was like Luke Skywalker, Messier was Han Solo.... Kurri was some weird alien, and Semenko was Chewbacca.

A Canucks fan had to admire other teams! Although I remember being enthralled on the school bus when I was sitting beside a kid who was old enough to tell me about the Richard Brodeur Cup run. I couldn’t believe we came that close! It made me love Brodeur, I was sentimental for it without ever seeing it. It was like an Arthurian legend... maybe one day the King would return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad