What are you sentimental about that no one else would be?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
During the evening in SW Ontario it was amazing how many AM stations and games I could pull in with a small transistor radio, especially from the US.
Seemed like the radio coverage had more info and team news then the local TV broadcasts today.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
During the evening in SW Ontario it was amazing how many AM stations and games I could pull in with a small transistor radio, especially from the US.
Seemed like the radio coverage had more info and team news then the local TV broadcasts today.

... yeah, over the air reception on the AM band rather amazing back in the day.... sports, music etc..... whereabouts in SW Ontario were you Tarantula? That area was great as youd likely have gotten on a clear day or night stations out of Buffalo & Detroit, possibly even Chicago?... of course also a great area to grow up in. Lots of hockey, baseball etc. Great people out there.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Casey's Hockey Bible equipment catalog from the '70s.
hockey-bible-vintage-1976-caseys_1_fa0b3c60fb6501c3189105eb70aa6a52.jpg

I spent hours looking through this. This was one of my favorite pages:

Wish I still had it. There's one on Ebay now but $195 is way too steep for reminiscing...

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Listening to games on the radio? In the 70's I could listen to the Seals over the following out-of-town stations from here on Long Island:
Flyers
Penguins
Bruins
Redwings (hard to pick up, would fade in and out)
Capitals (crystal clear)
Flames (Atlanta coming in like a blowtorch)
I could pick up the Canadiens' station but it was in French so couldn't understand it
Can't recall if I got Chicago or not. Could not get Buffalo or Toronto...

Of course, the reception was better late at night when the game was from Oakland. Huddled in my bed with the radio at 1 a.m. on a school night!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Wish I still had it. There's one on Ebay now but $195 is way too steep for reminiscing...

Isnt that interesting.... never heard of or seen this before & ya.... I could see spending hours pouring through that catalog as a kid though after my time as a player.... Basically "mail order" is that right?... looked it up on-line... found this... some content shots.... www.katcountry105.com/the-old-hockey-bible/

Reactions: SealsFan

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Grew up north of London, halfway between Toronto and Det. I know I could count on whatever Boston station that had the Bruins on, listened to them often with that forementioned radio. I remember getting some games from Detroit, came in well at night, and I remember getting various games from the states depending on the reception. Some nights some of the stations would interfer with each other, especially humid nights.

That area can be a hotspot for signals, I have heard games or parts of from a Atlanta station, St. Louis, and Chicago as well, though those were hit and miss. I remember one night getting a signal from Fort Worth, no game of course, but still. The shortwave band used to be a blast back then as well. Funny, we could never get any signal from Hamilton back then, TV or otherwise, strange area for signals in the atmosphere.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA

I could see me spending a few hours with that book. I used to know all the gloves, sticks, helmets, etc. and who made what and what players wore what.

Reactions: SealsFan

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

I had this exact same catelog! Never ordered anything, but I read it to death. I may still have it (all torn up) somewhere in the basement. Remember the hot model wearing only hockey equipment near the front?

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Listening to games on the radio? In the 70's I could listen to the Seals over the following out-of-town stations from here on Long Island:
Flyers
Penguins
Bruins
Redwings (hard to pick up, would fade in and out)
Capitals (crystal clear)
Flames (Atlanta coming in like a blowtorch)
I could pick up the Canadiens' station but it was in French so couldn't understand it
Can't recall if I got Chicago or not. Could not get Buffalo or Toronto...

Of course, the reception was better late at night when the game was from Oakland. Huddled in my bed with the radio at 1 a.m. on a school night!

Listening the hockey on the radio is one of those things you'd figure is nearing extinction. During the Jets' early years in the NHL, I either watched or listen to every single Jets game all season. With about a dozen games (tops) televised, most were on the radio in a darkened room. Curt Keilback and Friar Nicholson describing the action.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
For me one thing is opening up the packages of hockey cards and immediately getting that overpowering smell from the bubble gum they used to include in them. Nothing else smelled like it to this day, it was awful tasting stuff but you still used to get all worked up for it as you went through your pack to see what players cards you got.

That smell and taste and the memories that go along with it...............it's implanted on my brain forever.
Yep. Crisp, hard, thin little pink rectangles. And I'd wipe the "dust" from the gum off the cards.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Grew up north of London, halfway between Toronto and Det. I know I could count on whatever Boston station that had the Bruins on, listened to them often with that forementioned radio. I remember getting some games from Detroit, came in well at night, and I remember getting various games from the states depending on the reception. Some nights some of the stations would interfer with each other, especially humid nights.

That area can be a hotspot for signals, I have heard games or parts of from a Atlanta station, St. Louis, and Chicago as well, though those were hit and miss. I remember one night getting a signal from Fort Worth, no game of course, but still. The shortwave band used to be a blast back then as well. Funny, we could never get any signal from Hamilton back then, TV or otherwise, strange area for signals in the atmosphere.

Oh ya. Sounds like maybe up around Kincardine, Goderich, maybe in-land from there but you wouldve been "in the zone" with the lake effects, clear signals... even places like Cleveland you mightve received.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yeah, it was a light touch on those old analog radio tuners, induction coil and a rod, alot of stations would come in and you would have to fine tune the dial slightly every so often as the inductance would shift slightly. It was cool picking up so many stations and bits of games back then as we only got two TV stations with a solid signal.

Radio was a big deal back when a small number of games, like 1 or 2 a week and you got to hear different teams, back when a lot of teams kept many of the same players. Knew many names from hockey cards, and a regular habit of hockey magazines, and hockey books, no hockeydb back then.

Ice storm '77, power out for 2 or so days, farm generator hooked up to the barn and the trailer, like ice camping, eating melba toast, and listening to the Atlanta feed of the Flames and the Blues I believe.

Miss that age of radio and how a snowy sounding signal at night was your link to the game, live as can be, where as the local newspaper often did not have any west coast scores for two days after. Of course today has more options and you get scores and feeds live and have acess to all the games, but at one time radio out and out ruled, a game on was always a warm voice no matter if it was hockey or baseball in the summer.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, it was a light touch on those old analog radio tuners, induction coil and a rod, alot of stations would come in and you would have to fine tune the dial slightly every so often as the inductance would shift slightly. It was cool picking up so many stations and bits of games back then as we only got two TV stations with a solid signal.

Radio was a big deal back when a small number of games, like 1 or 2 a week and you got to hear different teams, back when a lot of teams kept many of the same players. Knew many names from hockey cards, and a regular habit of hockey magazines, and hockey books, no hockeydb back then.

Ice storm '77, power out for 2 or so days, farm generator hooked up to the barn and the trailer, like ice camping, eating melba toast, and listening to the Atlanta feed of the Flames and the Blues I believe.

Miss that age of radio and how a snowy sounding signal at night was your link to the game, live as can be, where as the local newspaper often did not have any west coast scores for two days after. Of course today has more options and you get scores and feeds live and have acess to all the games, but at one time radio out and out ruled, a game on was always a warm voice no matter if it was hockey or baseball in the summer.

Yes indeed it was... a warm voice, radio.... CBC AM on most hours of the day in many households, particularly if you were rural, farmhouse kitchen, barn etc while you worked. That era through the late 70's sort of the last gasp of the Golden Age of radio unfortunately. Even though lots of excellent programming still produced thereafter & for many of the older generations still tuning in of course. Habit. Place empty without that on in the background. Remember the 77 Blizzard in SW Ontario (though wasnt there). Wainfleet, Port Colborne & so on. Major & certainly not something who did live through it would ever forget. Western NY & environs as well.... Holed up in a trailer as you were rather than the house with a genny to power heat & light for I guess both the livestock & people Im sure pretty trippy huh? That you could get any signal at all actually kind of amazing all things considered. Like finding yourself waking up back in the Ice Age or whatever I'm sure.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
I was on vacation in Yugoslavia in the early 80’s and was starved for any hockey news,I finally found my grammas World War Two Grundig short wave radio and discovered CBC radio international short wave

On that 4 minute broadcast I heard that Tim Young was traded by minessota and my cousin was arrested for rioting at the Penticton Peach Frstival

Really is a small world

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I was on vacation in Yugoslavia in the early 80’s and was starved for any hockey news,I finally found my grammas World War Two Grundig short wave radio and discovered CBC radio international short wave

On that 4 minute broadcast I heard that Tim Young was traded by minessota and my cousin was arrested for rioting at the Penticton Peach Frstival

Really is a small world

Nice warm sound too I'll bet. Old tube radio's. Grundig huge in Europe. Beautiful old pieces.

Reactions: crobro

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Nice warm sound too I'll bet. Old tube radio's. Grundig huge in Europe. Beautiful old pieces.

It was portable with a handle,must of been heavily sentimental it was willed to me.the sound was garbage except when you tuned in to Voice of America broadcasts.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
I fondly remember the early 1960s. My uncle had a huge “short wave" radio with numerous bands on it: Armed Forces Radio, Ship-to-Shore, Weather, and so on. Its AM band could pick up distant stations via its big antenna.

Chicago had no radio coverage of hockey, but we’d often listen to a game out of Detroit. Stroh Brewery (“fire-brewed!”) was the sponsor. (I got to listen to much of the Yankees-Tigers pennant race in 1961, when Mantle and Maris were chasing the home run record.)

We could also pick up hockey broadcasts out of Montreal … in French. I learned to follow even those games reasonably well, as the player names I knew, and I learned other words.

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
2006-07 McDonalds hockey cards for me. I used to go to McDonalds a lot as a kid and when these came out, for some reason i bought a bunch of them. The only player I really knew before then was Mats Sundin. After more or less completing the set, I became a full-fledged hockey fan. So many things from those cards are sentimental/nostalgic for me.

The fact that Ovechkin had a card in the set and Crosby didn't is the reason why I always preferred Ovechkin to Crosby growing up. Fleury's bright yellow pads always stood out to me and I still remember calling Marion Gaborik "green guy" whenever talking about his card.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Learning to skate on the hard packed snow on the sidewalk in Winnipeg. Listening to Foster Hewitt broadcasting the Leafs games on the radio and Danny Gallivan doing the Canadiens games on TV. Going out with the Refs and Linesmen after a North Stars game for a few rounds. Traveling on the train to Goderich to ref in the Young Canada Week Pee Wee Hockey Tournament.

And there are many, many more memories.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

yup, picked up a flawless Grundig Majestic 205 console a few years ago for dirt cheap. Best sounding radio Ive ever heard. Beautiful warm tube sound, and a very strong antenna.

Still love listening to the Bruins and Sox on it

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It was portable with a handle,must of been heavily sentimental it was willed to me.the sound was garbage except when you tuned in to Voice of America broadcasts.

... :laugh: oh dear. Those olde tyme radios can be hit & miss that way but as you can see above @BigBadBruins7708 has one, excellent sound, obviously a connoisseur who both appreciates & demands audiophile quality. You get a much deeper, richer sound than you do with exclusively solid state circuitry builds. So worth fixing up, reconditioning if budget allows. A lot of them are hybrid tube/solid state which is fine but if exclusively solid state I wouldnt bother. There are a lot of things from the past that are superior to so called advanced (read cheaper to build) products, radios, home stereo etc included. Mass produced junk. Listening experience, be it a hockey game, music or whatever far superior through a tube or tube/solid state unit for sure.

Last edited:

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Starter logo on players' jerseys.

This Power Week intro:

The EA NHL 98 and 99 intros (in order). Can't decide which one is better. Make your own choice. But the one with the Bowie prelude probably has an edge:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Starter logo on players' jerseys.

The EA NHL 98 and 99 intros (in order). Can't decide which one is better. Make your own choice. But the one with the Bowie prelude probably has an edge:

... for my tastes its the 99 version, Bowies' Hero's (though seriously biased, love the song & original by Bowie though some well done covers out there... www.youtube.com/watch?v=J06yQb4lbPk ) not a big fan of the potentially seizure inducing aural & visual variety theyve used in the 98 version... which one finds oneself assaulted by at any game live. Game Presentations. Not a fan of it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad