Music: What Are You Listening To Part 5

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Really good bass line on the new Desperate Journalist song, they're one of the best indie bands to come out of the UK in the 2010s imo:

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
That sad guitar solo in the master of puppets gives me some feelings that is not quite correlate and fits with the meaning of lyrics and other parts of trek. But maybe on a second thought, it's fits just fine

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
What makes this song such a masterpiece. We have heard it many times, but I revisited the song in depth for the first time in years. I was always a huge Zeppelin fan, so it's not that I don't know about this song. We all know the theme, classic guitar intro, divine melody leading to a ferocious finish.

I would like to concentrate on the aspects of the song that are subtle but help create this masterpiece.

We know the guitar intro, but the harmony (recorder) flute lines creating a medieval feel lays a bed for the vocal melody to float in on.

The instrumentation is sparse (drums don't enter the song until well into the 4 minute mark) the Song builds adding a subtle electric guitar from Page and moody Rhodes Piano line provided by John Paul Jones underneath. When you think of the song, you don't remember the piano or the electric guitar in these early sections, but they are essential in creating the mood of the song.

Bonham enters with a slight kick in the ass at 4:18 breaking the song into a trot and adds uncharacteristic laid back jazz and ride cymbal technique around the 4:45 minute mark...this is divine... taking the listener on a slow drift down an increasing river current. The song finally pauses with a chiming guitar at 5:35. A brilliant technique holding the listener at the crest of a white water river ahead.

The double tracked guitar lines create a church bell resonance, it's majestic and Bonham tells you to fashion your seat belts at 5:50. His snare drum work from this point forward is in my opinion, unrivalled in rock music history. Page takes his lead and creates possible the most iconic rock guitar solo in history. The composition of the solo is in itself genius, and at 6:23 Bonham becomes one with his kit with a bass drum/snare combo riff that is insane...pulling you into the final section at your peak attention, body and soul.

The explosion of the last section takes you against any will you had left into a break neck iconic riff A-G-F...finally after the vocal pauses, the song spirals into a slowing whirlpool, it spirals down in tempo and intensity, slowing slightly and over time you are left to the point where the subtle lone vocal line finishes the song and leaves you wondering what you just heard and your body recaptures control of itself, leaving you the space to reflect and put the needle back to the start of the song.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
What makes this song such a masterpiece. We have heard it many times, but I revisited the song in depth for the first time in years. I was always a huge Zeppelin fan, so it's not that I don't know about this song. We all know the theme, classic guitar intro, divine melody leading to a ferocious finish.

I would like to concentrate on the aspects of the song that are subtle but help create this masterpiece.

We know the guitar intro, but the harmony (recorder) flute lines creating a medieval feel lays a bed for the vocal melody to float in on.

The instrumentation is sparse (drums don't enter the song until well into the 4 minute mark) the Song builds adding a subtle electric guitar from Page and moody Rhodes Piano line provided by John Paul Jones underneath. When you think of the song, you don't remember the piano or the electric guitar in these early sections, but they are essential in creating the mood of the song.

Bonham enters with a slight kick in the ass at 4:18 breaking the song into a trot and adds uncharacteristic laid back jazz and ride cymbal technique around the 4:45 minute mark...this is divine... taking the listener on a slow drift down an increasing river current. The song finally pauses with a chiming guitar at 5:35. A brilliant technique holding the listener at the crest of a white water river ahead.

The double tracked guitar lines create a church bell resonance, it's majestic and Bonham tells you to fashion your seat belts at 5:50. His snare drum work from this point forward is in my opinion, unrivalled in rock music history. Page takes his lead and creates possible the most iconic rock guitar solo in history. The composition of the solo is in itself genius, and at 6:23 Bonham becomes one with his kit with a bass drum/snare combo riff that is insane...pulling you into the final section at your peak attention, body and soul.

The explosion of the last section takes you against any will you had left into a break neck iconic riff A-G-F...finally after the vocal pauses, the song spirals into a slowing whirlpool, it spirals down in tempo and intensity, slowing slightly and over time you are left to the point where the subtle lone vocal line finishes the song and leaves you wondering what you just heard and your body recaptures control of itself, leaving you the space to reflect and put the needle back to the start of the song.

Cool story, but I already knew it. :sarcasm::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad