What are us fans doing wrong?

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
wanna know why the NHL has fought so hard to keep the Coyotes in Glendale? due to their clause tying the franchise in the arena

same thing would happen here...

and I willing to bet Katz won't find a more profitable venture in any other city in North America considering the revenue streams created by having the Oilers in Roger's Place

No, they are out from under that clause because of the bankruptcy. They fight to keep the team in Glendale because it's a huge TV market in the west.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
And, I am sure you have verified this clause with your own eyes?

Unless Katz only has idiots under his employ, which he doesn't, I am going to bet dollars to donuts that it has a standard profitability clause attached to the whole agreement.

A "standard profitability clause".... Ya okay. First off, you don't have a clue. Secondly, please explain?

This is another piece of nonsense we keep seeing brought up with this topic but it's still as empty as ever. The Oilers are here to stay (not sure if that's comforting or not right now)

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
I've spent $500 on Vancouver merchandise and tickets compared to $0 for Edmonton in the past 4 years.
Spent 1 week in V-City and live my life in Edmonton. Sad. Actually maybe $30 for E-town because I really liked a hat. Point remains.

Dansin

Feb 6, 2008
Edmonton
One idea i thought was kinda cool would be if a large and vocal group went to Calgary and spent the whole games showing off their paper bags, fire lowe, fire mact signs and chant their displeasure towards management.

Rexall staff would confiscate all this stuff but in Calgary they wouldn't care one bit.

Me and a buddy did this in Montreal View attachment 80845

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Okay, I appreciate a lot of the responses to my thread, but honestly guys....it sounds like a bunch of excuses...we sit here blaming our owner, our climate and location, soft media etc...but the truth is the fans should have more ****ing power than to sit and drink away their sorrows.

Replacement, you understand my point of view because it really is the people of this city and demographic. Not bashing Edmonton, but we are a nice fan base to deal with. It's one thing to show patience for a franchise rebuilding, but it's something completely different to insult our intelligence and integrity. With all of the incredibly terrible decisions and terrible quotes made from upper management, how are we laying down and taking this?

the Calgary vocal group might not be a bad idea. But THERE must be something we can do to put a fire under katz to remove management, and I don't advocate rioting of course, but there really has to be an alternative.

Like how the hell do people still go to hockey games? Why is the arena even populated? THERE SHOULD BE NOBODY GOING!

Thanks for acknowledging my post which I put a lot of time into and which got buried on the first page. I think I added to the thread topic with that and hiliting the crux of the issue and difference.

i'll expand on the lack of civil disobedience to cause here. On the very day that an old man that had a sign in his pickup truck stating "fire Lowe" had parked in view of Oilers office on Kingsway and was removed by police there were posts about this, complaints about this, but also significant defence of org in this. Despite the rationale of the Oilers org being the disingenious "we're not sure what this individual would do next and we're concerned" The only thing they were ever concerned with was expression of discontent. That's it. Still, here and elsewhere no shortage of defendants of realm saying the org can do whatever it likes.

I mean they phoned the POLICE on this guy. For no sufficient reason and the police for some reason responded and dealt with it on behalf of org. Any era, area and town versed in civil disobedience would have had hundreds of people demonstrating out at Oilers offices the very next day. By the next week it should be a thousand(s). Which would communicate that we don't condone bs like that.

We just don't do civil disobedience here. This was more than just a hockey team having their way and police resources at beckon call. This was a slap in your face about the right of an average man to voice a "Hydes Park corner " (look it up) expression and opinion on a public street and doing that without harming anybody. Which is a CENTRAL TENET of the notion of freedom of speech.

What occurred that day not to make too much of a point of it was what we are accustomed to here which is not defending our freedoms of expression. Whether it be the Oilers or salient issues.

This is just one example. The Oilers org have engaged in countless examples like this. That are barely remembered or get mention. Somebody should be writing an expose about this org.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Me and a buddy did this in Montreal View attachment 80845

Those type signs are *allowed* tolerated, in the Montreal Forum. They aren't by the org that thinks they are in charge here.

Could anything be such an illustrative contrast in the bs we allow the org to get away with here?

If you show up to an Oiler game with that Fire Lowe placard you are told exactly:

"This is not allowed here, you can not enter with that sign" You are either made to throw it into a bin under watch before entry or they physically remove it. Resistance of any kind ramping up fast and with you talking to the boys in blue the next thing you know.

Conceal such a sign and introduce it in the rink and security will come to remove you from the game.

We tolerate these things that have occured here. That have occurred even regularly.

The answer being why.

Last edited:

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for acknowledging my post which I put a lot of time into and which got buried on the first page. I think I added to the thread topic with that and hiliting the crux of the issue and difference.

i'll expand on the lack of civil disobedience to cause here. On the very day that an old man that had a sign in his pickup truck stating "fire Lowe" had parked in view of Oilers office on Kingsway and was removed by police there were posts about this, complaints about this, but also significant defence of org in this. Despite the rationale of the Oilers org being the disingenious "we're not sure what this individual would do next and we're concerned" The only thing they were ever concerned with was expression of discontent. That's it. Still, here and elsewhere no shortage of defendants of realm saying the org can do whatever it likes.

I mean they phoned the POLICE on this guy. For no sufficient reason and the police for some reason responded and dealt with it on behalf of org. Any era, area and town versed in civil disobedience would have had hundreds of people demonstrating out at Oilers offices the very next day. By the next week it should be a thousand(s). Which would communicate that we don't condone bs like that.

We just don't do civil disobedience here. This was more than just a hockey team having their way and police resources at beckon call. This was a slap in your face about the right of an average man to voice a "Hydes Park corner " (look it up) expression and opinion on a public street and doing that without harming anybody. Which is a CENTRAL TENET of the notion of freedom of speech.

What occurred that day not to make too much of a point of it was what we are accustomed to here which is not defending our freedoms of expression. Whether it be the Oilers or salient issues.

This is just one example. The Oilers org have engaged in countless examples like this. That are barely remembered or get mention. Somebody should be writing an expose about this org.

So what I can extract from this post is this organization is sensitive to negative criticism. I mean really? Instead of fixing the plethora of problems on the ice, they are worried about a sticker on some guys truck? Good to know the franchise I bleed for is hardly concerned with moving up the ranks. Maybe that's where the problem lies?

In any event, this shows that they are aware and sensitive to criticism. And as fans, we should be pushing where it hurts. That's what doctors do :)

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

i'll expand on the lack of civil disobedience to cause here. On the very day that an old man that had a sign in his pickup truck stating "fire Lowe" had parked in view of Oilers office on Kingsway and was removed by police there were posts about this, complaints about this, but also significant defence of org in this. Despite the rationale of the Oilers org being the disingenious "we're not sure what this individual would do next and we're concerned" The only thing they were ever concerned with was expression of discontent. That's it.

I mean they phoned the POLICE on this guy. For no sufficient reason and the police for some reason responded and dealt with it on behalf of org. Any area and town versed in civil disobedience would have had hundreds of people demonstrating out at Oilers offices the very next day. By the next week it should be a thousand(s). Which would communicate that we don't condone bs like that.

The organization does a pretty good job of ostracising anyone who speaks out against them and have been relatively successful at keeping anybody who has a platform to speak out from doing so.

Being in the Edmonton media and outright criticizing the Oilers management is akin to being a high ranking military officer and coming out and saying "aliens exist and I've seen them"

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
We will see in a couple of years.

If the City of Edmonton's gambit pays off, every city without an NHL team would want it. If the gambit doesn't, nobody.

So far, it looks like City of Edmonton is going to win, and that would make for a very easy sell to other cities.

So in other words, you have no clue :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So what I can extract from this post is this organization is sensitive to negative criticism. I mean really? Instead of fixing the plethora of problems on the ice, they are worried about a sticker on some guys truck? Good to know the franchise I bleed for is hardly concerned with moving up the ranks. Maybe that's where the problem lies?

In any event, this shows that they are aware and sensitive to criticism. And as fans, we should be pushing where it hurts. That's what doctors do :)

The guy had one of those letter signs with the letters that you arrange into whatever message. The kind you see a lot of on Gateway.

It did get a lot of press. Nobody really followed it up though. I had several people here tell me I was out to lunch for making a big deal about it. It was a big deal. The type of thing, jmo, we should be paying attention to with this org.

I dare say if 100 or more people showed up picketing around Oilers offices everyday for months something might get done. Maybe a project for bored students to consider...

if the downturn in the economy continues, and people have more time and energy, we might be seeing more unrest like this and more demonstration.

peaceful kind, the only thing I'm advocating again just to be clear.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
fans are allowed to be fans however they want to be. Even with the whole jersey tossing thing, the only issue I have with it is the general rule against throwing things on the ice, which even goes against positive things like the detroit octopus. At the very least it shouldn't go on during play. But no, I won't view people buying tickets as a bad thing if that's what they want to do

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Stop giving Katz money. That is all fans need to do now. The team is locked in to staying in Edmonton for decades now so we don't have to take any crap from Katz anymore. A big drop in ticket sales this summer followed by another brutal start to the season should finally force some action.

Of course we know the brutal start is inevitable, especially if MacT is going with Klef, Schultz, Ference, Nikitin, Fayne as our top 5 D. Just gotta hope enough tier 1 fans have finally had enough.

I think the next piece of hope selling Lowe and Friends are counting on to trick fans into buying tickets this summer is landing a big name coach. I can't help but hope they strike out on all the big names.

Last edited:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
You are being awfully tough on your math skills. :D

The Forbes numbers dont factor in the new TV contracts made in 2014. I am not just talking about the Rogers contract. Teams like the Kings almost doubled their TV revenue from past seasons.

The landscape is different now. The old fear factor ploys from the past only work if the market is historically weak.

Its nonsense...especially in this market. The only thing propping this up is a faulty belief system.

You also forget revenue will drop dramatically in relation to expenses given the 20% drop in the Canadian Dollar.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Stop giving Katz money. That is all fans need to do now. The team is locked in to staying in Edmonton for decades now so we don't have to take any crap from Katz anymore. A big drop in ticket sales this summer followed by another brutal start to the season should finally force some action.

Of course we know the brutal start is inevitable, especially if MacT is going with Klef, Schultz, Ference, Nikitin, Fayne as our top 5 D. Just gotta hope enough tier 1 fans have finally had enough.

I think the next piece of hope selling Lowe and Friends are counting on to trick fans into buying tickets this summer is landing a big name coach. I can't help but hope they strike out on all the big names.

This please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad