What are us fans doing wrong?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
if the general fan was as fed up as the hardcore fan they would be gone already.

1. dont renew season tickets (this is hard because people are holding them just to have them for the new arena (i know at least 7 people doing this)
2. dont watch the games on sportsnet. they have viewership numbers and advertisers are well aware of them.
3. stop buying anything at the concession. smuggle in your own food and beers
4. stop going to games and buying up tickets

Walking the fine line between support and losing the team.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
You have to think that the oilpatch slowdown will hurt Katz far more than any billboard or bumper sticker or inside-out jersey or terrible hockey team could.

I expect to see the return of the "Shoppers Drug Mart ticket resale" scheme to keep "sellouts" happening.

Demand has to die off.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008

That's the fear that the Oilers org has engrained in Edmontonians. Fans feel like if they don't support the team by not buying tickets/merchandise, etc. that the team will move.

The team is not going anywhere. Still one of the most profitable teams in the league with a fancy new arena coming. If there ever was a time for fans to boycott the team in safety, it would be now.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Don't build a rich billionaire who doesn't give a real fig about the team a free arena....oh....wait.....

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

This is oileresuq total paranoia. There is literally zero chance the oilers would lose the team, worst case scenerio if they lost it, it would be back within about 5 years.

The team got a new arena essentially for free has had a super loyal fan base and at worst is better than a half dozen us teams.

The old 'o hno we will lose our team!' is pure bs used to fear monger.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You have to think that the oilpatch slowdown will hurt Katz far more than any billboard or bumper sticker or inside-out jersey or terrible hockey team could.

I expect to see the return of the "Shoppers Drug Mart ticket resale" scheme to keep "sellouts" happening.

Demand has to die off.

At worst he'll just be making gobs of money rather than gobs and gobs of money. He has a free arena and all revenue from that arena in a city that is one of the top north american cities for concerts and such,

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I think a lot of people, at least those old enough to remember the dark times of the 90's are defensive of the Oilers are still scared we're going to lose them and remember when we had to band together to keep the team thanks to the EIG. The team became wrapped up with the identity of the community and everyone was part of the team. Those plucky underdog teams of the late 90's and then again in 2006 were a big part of it. So nobody wants to criticize something they feel part of. Of course now it's not really a community team, it's the play thing of a billionaire and his buddies.

I wont be surprised when the threats start if they dont sell all the seats in the new arena. They signed the long term deal but just like the Coyotes I think they can find a way out of it if things look bad enough.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is oileresuq total paranoia. There is literally zero chance the oilers would lose the team, worst case scenerio if they lost it, it would be back within about 5 years.

The team got a new arena essentially for free has had a super loyal fan base and at worst is better than a half dozen us teams.

The old 'o hno we will lose our team!' is pure bs used to fear monger.

Five years is not bad

Considering we have been

Losing for nine years

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
The same reasons that people support the Oilers in this town - are the same reasons they support a provincial Conservative government for 40 years that has given away our oil with nothing to show for it. I am sure there are many other analogies that we can use.

Overall this says much about the Northern Alberta psyche. I just wish i knew what it is. Perhaps:

1) As northern Albertan's if we have a little extra money in our pockets, we are happy and not willing to complain?

2) There is a genuine lack of entertainment in this community, and just being at a game is enough?

3) We are hockey mad and terrible hockey is better than no hockey?

I am sure there is more. But honestly, I have been carrying this torch for longer than anyone. Eventually one just gives up. I don't go to games anymore. I don't but any Oiler merchandise and I just wish the NHL would move the franchise already.

For KLowe and MacT to hang onto their jobs the way they do, knowing how incompetent they are, truly shows what pathetic human beings they are. Nothing will change, they are the "Grima Wormtongue's" of the NHL, and nothing will pry them from their master.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
as others have said, ours is a unique situation:

1. city with a long winter
2. city with no other major league entertainment option
3. fanbase will above average expendable income
4. franchise with an unbelievably egotistical and deluded managment
5. franchise with an owner that will tolerable unprecedented levels of managerial incompetence.

add all these up and you have a situation inwhich the status quo seems unbreakable. I realize other cities have number 1, 2 and 3, but only we all five. (Toronto also has their own situation. similar to ours but also unique, inwhich they can't break out of).

I mean, if Katz can tolerate what he has seen thus far, what could possibly make him fed up enough?

i really think the only things that can make it happen are empty seats and angry mob activity that is probably criminal to type here and now.

member 145483

That's the fear that the Oilers org has engrained in Edmontonians. Fans feel like if they don't support the team by not buying tickets/merchandise, etc. that the team will move.

The team is not going anywhere. Still one of the most profitable teams in the league with a fancy new arena coming. If there ever was a time for fans to boycott the team in safety, it would be now.
It is 'engrained' because it is true.

Oilers revenues are gate driven. Ticket sales slump and we will be back in 1996, praying that the 'ticket drive' will sell enough to stop the looming relocation of the team.

The NHL bailed us out once, they will not do it again.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think a lot of people, at least those old enough to remember the dark times of the 90's are defensive of the Oilers are still scared we're going to lose them and remember when we had to band together to keep the team thanks to the EIG. The team became wrapped up with the identity of the community and everyone was part of the team. Those plucky underdog teams of the late 90's and then again in 2006 were a big part of it. So nobody wants to criticize something they feel part of. Of course now it's not really a community team, it's the play thing of a billionaire and his buddies.

I wont be surprised when the threats start if they dont sell all the seats in the new arena. They signed the long term deal but just like the Coyotes I think they can find a way out of it if things look bad enough.
I expect the threats too. Katz has shown he isn't above playing that card. I also suspect Katz has better lawyers than the city does as well. I'm also not really sure who Mandel and some of the councillors were really representing in that mess.

At the very least he'll slash the payroll and spend as little as he can.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Okay, I appreciate a lot of the responses to my thread, but honestly guys....it sounds like a bunch of excuses...we sit here blaming our owner, our climate and location, soft media etc...but the truth is the fans should have more ****ing power than to sit and drink away their sorrows.

Replacement, you understand my point of view because it really is the people of this city and demographic. Not bashing Edmonton, but we are a nice fan base to deal with. It's one thing to show patience for a franchise rebuilding, but it's something completely different to insult our intelligence and integrity. With all of the incredibly terrible decisions and terrible quotes made from upper management, how are we laying down and taking this?

the Calgary vocal group might not be a bad idea. But THERE must be something we can do to put a fire under katz to remove management, and I don't advocate rioting of course, but there really has to be an alternative.

Like how the hell do people still go to hockey games? Why is the arena even populated? THERE SHOULD BE NOBODY GOING!

Last edited:

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Unfortunately there is not much else to do in Edmonton but follow the Oilers so they will always have unwavering support and the owner/management will forever be seen as doing a good job since the Oilers are highly profitable no matter what terrible on ice product they offer.

As the saying goes in pro sports you sell wins or you sell hope. Oilers with all their top picks will be selling hope for the next decade and fans will come in droves to wait wait wait for the uprising of the Oilers.

Real change I'm afraid will never come to this organization. We could get better in the future due to all the high draft picks but it will never be because management is competent.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Once we have an arena downtown we can riot downtown and make our downtown an even uglier downtown.

I'm doing my part, havent spent a penny on the team since '13. It's all about the incentive. Our greasy owner's just getting more greasy rich, lowe watches, and mactavish films it, so they're all happy. Still not too sure about Nicholson, and Laforge is just happy to have a job. The sheep eat it all up like a bunch of sheep.

Come to think of it, I can see how Katz is a billionaire.

And I think Bettman has way bigger fish to fry than making our city of 800k a good hockey city (cause it ain't anymore).

I haven't spent a red cent on the nhl since the 2013 lockout. It was a complete turn off to see the players and owners crying about money. I won't really ever buy nhl merchandise again.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Unfortunately there is not much else to do in Edmonton but follow the Oilers so they will always have unwavering support and the owner/management will forever be seen as doing a good job since the Oilers are highly profitable no matter what terrible on ice product they offer.

As the saying goes in pro sports you sell wins or you sell hope. Oilers with all their top picks will be selling hope for the next decade and fans will come in droves to wait wait wait for the uprising of the Oilers.

Real change I'm afraid will never come to this organization. We could get better in the future due to all the high draft picks but it will never be because management is competent.

That's BS. There's lot's to do and I've been doing them. Went to the Citadel last week and loved it.

Seriously, as others have said:
for the love of all that is good in this universe, STOP GOING TO GAMES, FFS!!!!!

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The same reasons that people support the Oilers in this town - are the same reasons they support a provincial Conservative government for 40 years that has given away our oil with nothing to show for it. I am sure there are many other analogies that we can use.

Overall this says much about the Northern Alberta psyche. I just wish i knew what it is. Perhaps:

1) As northern Albertan's if we have a little extra money in our pockets, we are happy and not willing to complain?

2) There is a genuine lack of entertainment in this community, and just being at a game is enough?

3) We are hockey mad and terrible hockey is better than no hockey?

I am sure there is more. But honestly, I have been carrying this torch for longer than anyone. Eventually one just gives up. I don't go to games anymore. I don't but any Oiler merchandise and I just wish the NHL would move the franchise already.

For KLowe and MacT to hang onto their jobs the way they do, knowing how incompetent they are, truly shows what pathetic human beings they are. Nothing will change, they are the "Grima Wormtongue's" of the NHL, and nothing will pry them from their master.

Especially Kevin Lowe, I've never seen such an arrogant, delusional person in my life. There is an entire city and an entire professional sport in which everyone knows that you are absolutely terrible at your job. Like how does he go through life meeting people in the hockey world and interacting with them, and all the while these people all know that you are a complete idiot and you have single handedly ruined one of the most storied franchises in the NHL. You and your family live in a city where you we're once a fan fave now there are billboards, and bumper stickers and pages in the newspaper and online groups dedicated to seeing you removed from your position.

The guy is a total moron and every time I want a laugh I just watch the Brian Burke interview after Lowe offer sheeted Penner and Burke went off and in his own words pretty much said that Kevin Lowe is a moron and that he was going to run the Oilers into the sewers. Pretty much called it back in '07.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Especially Kevin Lowe, I've never seen such an arrogant, delusional person in my life. There is an entire city and an entire professional sport in which everyone knows that you are absolutely terrible at your job. Like how does he go through life meeting people in the hockey world and interacting with them, and all the while these people all know that you are a complete idiot and you have single handedly ruined one of the most storied franchises in the NHL. You and your family live in a city where you we're once a fan fave now there are billboards, and bumper stickers and pages in the newspaper and online groups dedicated to seeing you removed from your position.

The guy is a total moron and every time I want a laugh I just watch the Brian Burke interview after Lowe offer sheeted Penner and Burke went off and in his own words pretty much said that Kevin Lowe is a moron and that he was going to run the Oilers into the sewers. Pretty much called it back in '07.

Dallas Eakins says hayyyyy

I agree with what you're saying though. When people pay for billboards for you to be fired oyu should just step down.

Katz is terribly depressing too. Using the Eerie Otters, city of Hamilton, and the city of Seattle to strong arm Edmonton into giving him an unfavorable deal that rips off the city of Edmonton is an abomination. Sticking by his buddies even though the organization is run into the ground is pathetic.

I've realized I will be a diehard Oiler fan forever but Katz and Lowe make it so hard for me to fully cheer for this team right now.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

This blows me away, too. How does he go to work every day and look at the people in the Kingsway office, the people that hear from friends constantly what an idiot Lowe is, what a joke their place of work has become because of him. These people are now embarrassed to say they work for the Oilers; it is nolonger a status job, or at least much less so than ever. He has embarressed them.

Remember the Lumley interview on Stauffer? He was genuinely embarrassed and sickened. Some one like Gretz needs to be a best friend and have an intervention with Lowe. He needs to be told: 'buddy, it's time to walk away'

How does he look anyone in the eye? He must be mortgaged to the hilt and simply can't quit.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Here's the video. I think that its worth a listen.

member 145483

Based on the replies in this thread, I can tell the most important thing about NHL hockey has been forgotten.

It is a business. It will act, and react, like a business.

To make matters worse, the Oilers are a monopolistic business in the Edmonton market.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It is 'engrained' because it is true.

Oilers revenues are gate driven. Ticket sales slump and we will be back in 1996, praying that the 'ticket drive' will sell enough to stop the looming relocation of the team.

The NHL bailed us out once, they will not do it again.

wrong

Katz signed a clause that keeps the team here for 35 years once they're in Uncle Darryl's palace

plus, the extra revenue streams created won't affect the team as much as in 96

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad