What are the thoughts on Joe Veleno?

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
For having possibly (probably) the worst roster in the NHL, it certainly is hard for younger players to make the team out of camp.

Reactions: TheClap

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Wait and see what he does in camp and through the pre-season games. He had a nice TC tournament, but I don't think that should make him a lock for a roster spot. I also do not believe that Zadina's play means he is a lock for GR. I'm eager to see how they both during pre-season, would be fun for one of them to make the team, but if not I'll have to try that patience thing I've been hearing so much about.

Great that hockey is almost back :thumbu:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I wasn't counting Erne. I was also looking at CapFriendly, which for some reason isn't listing a few contracts.

Bert-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Nelson-Hirose
???-Flip-???
Glendening-Helm-???

I think on any given night those question marks will be filled by a mixture of Veleno, Zadina, JDLR, Rasmussen, and Erne. If it were me I would try to get Rasmussen, Zadina, and Veleno 20-30 games each in the NHL this year.
LOL, you still left out Abby. Erne will play because Yzerman traded for him. You also forgot Svech as a possibility.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
LOL, you still left out Abby. Erne will play because Yzerman traded for him. You also forgot Svech as a possibility.
Unless Svech is completely dominant in preseason, I expect him to start in GR. Especially if he is waiver exempt due to missing all of last season.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Dont know how anyone could watch that tournament and say his zone entries were "iffy". His ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone with speed and gain the zone might be his best asset. Its almost like youre looking for something that isnt there so you can post about it on here.... but you wouldnt do that would you?

I explained how.
I know what Joe Veleno's best assets are. I spent a year watching him with the idea we might take him with our top pick and was thrilled we got him late in round one.
In this tournament, I didn't think he played very well in regard to zone entries.

it seemed like Joe's best work was stationary. Wind up, blast and score. I don't imagine that's going to be his calling card in the NHL.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Bert-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Flip-*****
Helm-Nielsen-*****
Abdelakder-Glendening-Erne

Svech, Hirose, Zadina, Ras are the top contenders for the 2 open jobs.

If Veleno destroys at camp and exhibition season:

Bert-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Flip-Glendening
Helm-Veleno-*****
Abdelakder-Nielsen-Erne

Is probably something you might see.
or Maybe event
Bert-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Veleno-Glendening
Helm-Flip-*****
Abdelakder-Nielsen-Erne

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
It's not about if Veleno is good enough. There is no argument to be made that he would be a less impactful forward than say, Nielson, 8 or 43.

It's not about if his growing pains will negatively impact the standings, because there are no expectations for the team.

This decision will hinge nearly 100% on what's best for Veleno's development imo. And that probably hinges quite a bit on how the rest of the two rosters shake out.

I'm hoping Veleno, Cholowski, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, etc make it clear that they're ready to learn on the fly and that a lot of our pieces are obsolete, regardless of their paycheck/pedigree.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Unless Svech is completely dominant in preseason, I expect him to start in GR. Especially if he is waiver exempt due to missing all of last season.
LOL, I had this argument with someone else here because I expect him to start in GR as well. Regardless, he is still a possibility.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
He would probably make the team and be the third center if they didnt waste the roster spot on Filppula.
If Veleno is good enough to make the team he could still play wing.

If dominant or injuries can give him chance at center.

Not to mention both Filppula and Nielsen can shift to the wing as well.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's not about if Veleno is good enough. There is no argument to be made that he would be a less impactful forward than say, Nielson, 8 or 43.

It's not about if his growing pains will negatively impact the standings, because there are no expectations for the team.

This decision will hinge nearly 100% on what's best for Veleno's development imo. And that probably hinges quite a bit on how the rest of the two rosters shake out.

I'm hoping Veleno, Cholowski, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, etc make it clear that they're ready to learn on the fly and that a lot of our pieces are obsolete, regardless of their paycheck/pedigree.
Yeah, I was gonna say that both Green and John Carlson started out in the AHL even though the Caps had an AHL level defense. It's not as if the WIngs are competing for a playoff spot this year, it's not gonna hurt to have these guys start in GR with top 6 roles instead of playing with Back Hand Luke, Helm, Abby, and Nielsen.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I would have agreed with you that day.
Yet here we are.
Ottawa is 13-17-1 with a -13 goal differential
Detroit 7-22-3 with a -62 differential.

Coaching matters.
The wheels have fallen off on Detroit.

Imagine thinking you can coach three forward lines of fourth liners. :laugh:

And calling some of those guys fourth liners may be generous.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Imagine thinking you can coach three forward lines of fourth liners. :laugh:

And calling some of those guys fourth liners may be generous.

Ottawa doesn't have a good roster either though. Their forward group is not really better than ours at all. They are simply better coached, and obviously getting at least one goalie to play half decently helps as well.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ottawa doesn't have a good roster either though. Their forward group is not really better than ours at all. They are simply better coached, and obviously getting at least one goalie to play half decently helps as well.

There's not a system in the league these guys look good in. Combine that with Detroit having the worst injury record so far, and the defense that is 2/3rds AHL caliber.

8 of Detroit's dressed forwards this tonight have a combined 30 points this season. If they were one player they'd be tied for 20th in scoring.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

You can't coach a team that is as untalented as the current team is to anything but losing tragically most nights.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There's not a system in the league these guys look good in. Combine that with Detroit having the worst injury record so far, and the defense that is 2/3rds AHL caliber.

8 of Detroit's dressed forwards this tonight have a combined 30 points this season. If they were one player they'd be tied for 20th in scoring.

You can't coach a team that is as untalented as the current team is to anything but losing tragically most nights.

You guys are underrating just how bad Ottawa's roster is in my opinion. They aren't getting beaten handily everynight even when they lose. They have been blown out at times as well, but we do it almost everynight, and a better coach can and does improve the level of effort and strategy. I am legit stunned that so few think coaching changes can make a difference, as most coaching changes at least well more than half of them improve the team. I am not talking about wins and losses here, but consistent compete effort and attention to defending the net. Whatever Blashill is telling them isn't working!

I am also going to bring up 1st year Vegas, as that team especially on the blueline was mediocre players at best, a bunch of 3rd pair and below and Gallant got them to compete and even win. Yeah they had a few lucky guys break out, but 75% of their roster were filler level players. Blashill in that same situation I have great confidence that Vegas would have been what was expected of them that year, a bottom 3 team.

Reactions: TheClap

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal

Ottawa’s team is as anemic offensively as the red wings. They just have a coach who has all their players engaged.

Our coach can’t seem to engage his dog to go for a walk anymore. Time to pull the plug and work on building towards next season; whether that is keeping blashill and take tanking to a Detroit Lions level, or bring somebody in now to evaluate and build for next season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ottawa has a lot better roster currently. All centers in prime age for example. And defence is better too.

They also don't have much injuries. Kind of reminds me of Wings from last season, when we overperformed, thanks to Blashill.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Even if we have a better roster than Ottawa, we have been completely decimated by injuries this year where it hurts the most (back end). Imagine playing Dylan McIlrath, Madison Bowey and Alex Biega together on most nights and thinking you have a shot to win with Jonathan Bernier (or worse) in net. I don't care if you're Blashill or whoever but that's a tough ask.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I would have agreed with you that day.
Yet here we are.
Ottawa is 13-17-1 with a -13 goal differential
Detroit 7-22-3 with a -62 differential.

Coaching matters.
The wheels have fallen off on Detroit.

It's going to hurt hard if Detroit doesn't get the #1 pick this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad