What are the thoughts on Joe Veleno?

Blueliner70

Mar 16, 2018
Fresh off a very good prospects tournament in Traverse City. What are the thoughts? Does he have a legit shot to make the final roster out of training camp? Or is he Grand Rapids bound?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Tough to make this team unless 1) he makes it impossible to keep him down or 2) one of our centers get hurt.
As nice as it was to see Veleno score goals at the tournament, I honestly felt he wasn't as impressive as I'd hoped. Maybe that's my fault for expectations.
But I didn't see as much defensive hustle as I wanted. Again, maybe he's not just that "defensive hustle" kind of guy. He does seem to play a calm game, compared to Larkin's hard-changing ways, for example.

I also saw some lazy passing.

He's going to have clean that up.

Overall, I'd say 15 percent chance he makes the team.

Reactions: Mlotek

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Veleno looks NHL ready to me. I would expect him to start in the AHL and be the first callup.

The Wings currently only have 9 full-time NHL forwards under contract, so he could conceivably surprise and make the team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I really don't think he makes the team unless Filppula/Nielsen get injured before the season starts. But I think he has the skill set to be a good 2C in the NHL eventually. Hopefully we have the luxury of slotting him as our 3C (down the line) after we draft someone like Byfield/Lundell/Lapierre next year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
While I didn't exactly dislike his play in the prospect tournament, he didn't exactly wow me, either. I didn't get to watch all of the games, but from what I saw I fully expect him to go to GR to cut his teeth for awhile.

Reactions: Flowah

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Not just Veleno but Seider and everyone else, it's really hard to judge prospects IMO on how NHL ready they are from watching these games. Its games filled with kids trying to show they have what it takes to earn a contract or a spot on a farm team, or in some cases the NHL. They don't have much for systems in place, everyone is trying to make a name for themselves... The real judge is training camp and exhibition games when the common goal is to win games and play within a system set up by your coaching staff. Not to say these kids did not want to win, of course they do but prospect tournaments and mini camps don't offer the same insight into how ready a prospect is, in comparison to playing against actual pros in a NHL system.

Seider and Veleno may flourish more in those situations, but I still think most realize they may need some additional time to get seasoned and develop.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Veleno looked NHL ready last training camp and nothing has changed my mind in the past year.

Yeah I remember thinking he deserved a 9 game stint before being sent back to junior based on how good he was last year. I definitely think hell play some games this year just not sure how many. It also kinda depends on what the team thinks of Ehn/Turgeon and where those guys are this year.

Thing with Veleno is he listens to coaches and works really hard so its not like a Mantha case where they wanted him to quit floating before his call up

Reactions: Konnan511

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Yeah I remember thinking he deserved a 9 game stint before being sent back to junior based on how good he was last year. I definitely think hell play some games this year just not sure how many. It also kinda depends on what the team thinks of Ehn/Turgeon and where those guys are this year.

Thing with Veleno is he listens to coaches and works really hard so its not like a Mantha case where they wanted him to quit floating before his call up
Ehn/Turgeon are nothing more than 4th line centers.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
If he produces during pre season he should make the team and I’m expecting he will. He’ll definitely get a long look with good players in pre season. At this point he’s done everything Larkin had when he made the team (besides the GR playoff run)

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

I wholeheartedly agree. (Which is rare for us)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I wholeheartedly agree. (Which is rare for us)

Is it lol? I cant say I notice your username and think of you as someone I'm gonna disagree with

I think at this point as a prospect, Veleno has everything that Larkin did coming into his draft +2 season. I would say Larkins 47 point NCAA season is comparable to Veleno having like highest point per game in the Q and almost the entire CHL. Theyre both extremely fast and theyre both extremely hard working/mature. I dont see a reason why Veleno shouldnt be afforded the same opportunity Larkin got. If it doesnt work out, send him down but if not, let him roll with it.

This is all assuming he has a pretty dominant camp/preseason for a young guy

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Is the 9 game thing something we have to consider with him this year?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Tough to make this team unless 1) he makes it impossible to keep him down or 2) one of our centers get hurt.
As nice as it was to see Veleno score goals at the tournament, I honestly felt he wasn't as impressive as I'd hoped. Maybe that's my fault for expectations.
But I didn't see as much defensive hustle as I wanted. Again, maybe he's not just that "defensive hustle" kind of guy. He does seem to play a calm game, compared to Larkin's hard-changing ways, for example.

I also saw some lazy passing.

He's going to have clean that up.

Overall, I'd say 15 percent chance he makes the team.

How the hell is averaging 1.75 gpg and 2 pts a game not good enough? He is 19 not 21-23. While I agree it is not likely he makes it barring injury but if he proves he can handle 3rd line C duties and #19 pulls off a miracle getting Nielsuck off this team to give him a place I'm all for it.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
How the hell is averaging 1.75 gpg and 2 pts a game not good enough? He is 19 not 21-23. While I agree it is not likely he makes it barring injury but if he proves he can handle 3rd line C duties and #19 pulls off a miracle getting Nielsuck off this team to give him a place I'm all for it.
This likely predicament is exactly why I'm against the Flip signing. Either way, it should be Abby/JDLR/Ehn to GR instead of moving Nielsen, who has value, even if he is overpaid by $1M & signed for 2yrs too long.

Hoping for: (Flip/Nielsen & Hirose/Veleno & Helm/Erne) are interchangeable.
Bert--Larkin--Mantha
AA-Nielsen-Veleno
Erne-Flip--Hirose
Helm-LGD--Svech (lets Svech ease into the season)
Abby/Ehn

JDLR-outman out

Nemeth-Green
DDK-Hronek
Cholo-Kaski/Bowey

...I'm fine carrying 13 F's if we need to carry 8 Dmen to include Cholo/Kaski as long as they're playing every game, before we dump E/Daley

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I'm saying, as a center, he did not play very well. His defense wasn't hot. His passing wasn't very good. A couple turnovers for goals against. His zone entries were iffy. Based on the expectations I had after last year's NHL exhibition season and his season in the Q.

I'm all for Joe V. Have been since day 1. Since before the draft.

But I wasn't that impressed with his overall play, outside of shooting.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Veleno looks NHL ready to me. I would expect him to start in the AHL and be the first callup.

The Wings currently only have 9 full-time NHL forwards under contract, so he could conceivably surprise and make the team.
10. I think you forgot to count Erne or Flip, or maybe left out Abby on purpose.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
10. I think you forgot to count Erne or Flip, or maybe left out Abby on purpose.

I wasn't counting Erne. I was also looking at CapFriendly, which for some reason isn't listing a few contracts.

Bert-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Nelson-Hirose
???-Flip-???
Glendening-Helm-???

I think on any given night those question marks will be filled by a mixture of Veleno, Zadina, JDLR, Rasmussen, and Erne. If it were me I would try to get Rasmussen, Zadina, and Veleno 20-30 games each in the NHL this year.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think Veleno doesn't play unless it's at center, battling Flip and Nielsen for a job. I don't think he wins that battle this year, unless there's an injury.

On the wing, the addition of Erne might not change things much. It might just bump Ehn to GR.
Or the press box.
Then you've got Zadina, Rasmussen, Hirose, and Svech competing for 2 spots in the lineup.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If they plan on Veleno breaking in on the wing similar to Larkin, I could see him cracking the roster. He looked much more impressive than Hirose in the prospect tournament in my opinion, and I think before I would use a permanent marker on Hirose playing with Athanasiou, I would prefer it be Veleno.

Obviously we need to see how he looks in camp and how he gets himself accustomed to better competition than a prospects tournament, but I’m all in on “best players play”. I hope Hirose and Svech can force Veleno and Zadina to stay in GR, and I hope JV and Zadina can force their way onto the roster. I want the decision to be hard for all the right reasons.

Reactions: Frk It

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I think Veleno doesn't play unless it's at center, battling Flip and Nielsen for a job. I don't think he wins that battle this year, unless there's an injury.

On the wing, the addition of Erne might not change things much. It might just bump Ehn to GR.
Or the press box.
Then you've got Zadina, Rasmussen, Hirose, and Svech competing for 2 spots in the lineup.
There is no issue with letting Veleno play wing his first season.

Larkin got the same treatment when he was paired with Zetterberg.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm saying, as a center, he did not play very well. His defense wasn't hot. His passing wasn't very good. A couple turnovers for goals against. His zone entries were iffy. Based on the expectations I had after last year's NHL exhibition season and his season in the Q.

I'm all for Joe V. Have been since day 1. Since before the draft.

But I wasn't that impressed with his overall play, outside of shooting.

Dont know how anyone could watch that tournament and say his zone entries were "iffy". His ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone with speed and gain the zone might be his best asset. Its almost like youre looking for something that isnt there so you can post about it on here.... but you wouldnt do that would you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad