What are some of the most interesting contracts to be signed in the next couple years?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
What are some examples of interesting contracts that are incoming?

I am thinking Makar's next deal will be very interesting, but that's 2.5 seasons away.

Rielly will also be interesting - cap strapped team with lots of offence, coupled with his drop in production.

Barzal is another obvious one. Could be a top 10 C in the league, improving defensively, but the Isles have a few cap issues themselves. Will he be in the 10m range?

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
The expansion draft will greatly magnify the importance of these upcoming contracts, combined with those already signed. For example, the Canucks are almost certainly going to be "screwed" out of a good goalie be it Markstrom or Demko, unless they make a deal with Seattle.

I will say that Markstrom's contract in general is going to be interesting. Due to bad contracts, the cap situation the Canucks are in is fairly dire. Combined with his elite ( :sarcasm: ) play the last season-and-a-half, they might not even get the chance to get both of them to the expansion draft. I personally think he's worth at least $6m x 5yr at this point. With the rookie bonuses, their problems will be compounded. Fun times on the ice for now but a frightening future awaits...

edit: putting brackets around the sarcasm emote broke it :laugh:

Reactions: Merrrlin

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
-Makar, Hughes, Heiskanen & Dahlin are negotiating at the the same time all 4 could be very big and change the RFA landscape and they arent 2.5 years away they are 1.5 years away for all of them.
-Pettersson if he continues on his elite trajectory should be a big one, also the same off season for Vancouver, so they will writing two huge contracts that offseason.
-Barzal as OP mentioned is another one
- Svechnikov is another one
- Also Reinhart, as Buffalo loves giving away money.

Last edited:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Nolan Patrick and Oskar Lindblom are both RFAs this offseason, with huge and unfortunate question marks about their health and futures in the NHL. What they sign for, if they even sign at all, will probably tell us more about their health than the team ever will. Both have played under 150 games through three seasons and have 60ish points, and once had top 6 potential.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

I am thinking Makar's next deal will be very interesting, but that's 2.5 seasons away.

Rielly will also be interesting - cap strapped team with lots of offence, coupled with his drop in production.

Barzal is another obvious one. Could be a top 10 C in the league, improving defensively, but the Isles have a few cap issues themselves. Will he be in the 10m range?
Unless he signs an 8 year deal I don't see him getting 10.

And what issues?

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
For me it is which of Tampa's RFAs/UFAs have to go this summer. No true impact/star players (besides maybe cirelli if he was given a top line role), but for a cap-crunched team, it will be a tough choice to pick 2 of the 3 RFAs, while trying to retain Maroon/Shatty/etc

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Boeser should be interesting.

His rookie season looked like he'd become a sure-fire, consistent 30-40 goal scorer. Then he had a few injuries (notably his wrist) and he barely even utilizes his shot anymore. Now he's more of a playmaker. And he's injured again. He isn't a fast skater, he doesn't battle on the boards very hard, yet he has a high IQ and is an underrated playmaker. This season, his PPG rate does not reflect his play. He has looked sluggish and has had a tough time finishing (I realize his personal struggles, but this is purely about gauging his next contract).

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
It wouldn't shock me if the Leafs walked away from Rielly

If Muzzin and Barrie walk, which appears to be likely, Rielly is the only high end Dman left. Holl and Dermott are not #1 or 2's. Ceci sucks. Sandin and Liljergen are still young rookies - they look promising but they could fall flat or break out.

Unless they go big in free agency and the kids break out quick, they almost HAVE to resign Rielly.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
It should be noted that Rielly's drop in production was likely linked to the lingering injury he seemingly was pushing through all season...before he, somewhat ironically, got a worse injury.

I do agree though. He and Andersen should be fairly interesting and potentially dangerous negotiations for Toronto.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Muzzin and Barrie walk, which appears to be likely, Rielly is the only high end Dman left. Holl and Dermott are not #1 or 2's. Ceci sucks. Sandin and Liljergen are still young rookies - they look promising but they could fall flat or break out.

Unless they go big in free agency and the kids break out quick, they almost HAVE to resign Rielly.
There are reports how they are negotiating a new contract with Muzzin.

Reactions: BlueBaron

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Reinhart in Buffalo is an interesting one, especially since they gave a fellow teammate 8 years @ 9 per year.

He's another one on Buffalo that you can't afford to not have on the roster, but at 8+ per year, does he bring enough value needed to justify. Spinning wheels.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

Barzal won't be in the 10m range, and the Isles cap is fine. What will interesting is does Barzal (or the team) want a short or long deal. Same with most pending free agents. How do they want to structure factoring in the next CBA.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Good luck to anyone who gives Kreider $7.5 million this offseason.

He will probably have a strong first year into that contract but it will get ugly quick and by year 3-4 it will be looked at like the Lucic/Neal/Eriksson/Okposo/Ladd etc.

Kreids is a unique physical specimen but father time is basically undefeated against these types of players, and as a player that relies on his speed and has no high hockey IQ to fall back on once his legs go he is done.

I'm also fascinated to see what happens with Holtby. It would be one thing if he was having a strong contract year to at least somewhat justify the huge salary he is going to command.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Mackinnon for me.

He was a complete moron (in my opinion) for claiming he'd take another team friendly deal recently on his next contract. I think on the open market- he'd be worth 14-15M$ AAV by the time his next contract comes around. Will he get that? Will he take less and help team, "only taking 12M$"? Will he be completely stupid and accept under 10M$, leaving so much money on the table?

I like him - I just think players should try to maximize their earnings, and wouldn't want him to leave too much money on the table. I also think fans backlash could be something that happens if they misinterpret his comments and expect him to take much less than he does accept.

Should be interesting to see.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think Barzal WILL be in the 9-10 range. If Lee can get 7m per for his 50 points and for his TLI's (Toews-like Intangibles...at least that's how us Isles fans make him out to be) Barzal should be getting 10. He makes the Islanders run and he's the only forward on the team that keeps entire defenses and opposing forwards honest and he's been successful while being the focal point of the offense.

Do I think he's worth it now, no. Do I think he'll get around 9-10, sure.

Our cap issues (as merlinn brought up) really center around term with our current group, at least that's how I interpret the point he was trying to make. We have something like eight players locked in for 3-7 years with a majority of them being 28+ years of age. Personally think that's horrible management of a roster.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Kapanen has 2 more years after this season at $3.2M. He is one of the best young players in the game and where he will fit in with the Maple Leafs will be a highly interesting. He is the sort of depth player teams need and would be a top player on many teams in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad