What are some of the most interesting contracts to be signed in the next couple years?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Barzal won't be in the 10m range, and the Isles cap is fine. What will interesting is does Barzal (or the team) want a short or long deal. Same with most pending free agents. How do they want to structure factoring in the next CBA.

Disagree - Pulock, Pelech, Barzal, Toews, Aho all in the next couple years, with a need to bring in some scoring as well. I think there could be some cap pressure on the island by 2021.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Nolan Patrick and Oskar Lindblom are both RFAs this offseason, with huge and unfortunate question marks about their health and futures in the NHL. What they sign for, if they even sign at all, will probably tell us more about their health than the team ever will. Both have played under 150 games through three seasons and have 60ish points, and once had top 6 potential.

i had no idea Patrick hasent even played a single game this year. poor dude just seems to be injury prone

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
He's already said that he's willing to take a discount to keep the team competitive. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take anything between $8-11 million.

He also called his current contract a "discount" despite being a ~50 point player when he signed it. Players say what fans like to hear.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He also called his current contract a "discount" despite being a ~50 point player when he signed it. Players say what fans like to hear.

You're ignoring context. He won the Calder, put up 10 points in 7 playoff games in his rookie year, and signed a long-term deal that would take him into his prime. Colorado was also a very bad and young team at the time. I'd say the cap hit was pretty fair, but the term made it a bargain for Colorado.

Reactions: Newusername

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
You're ignoring context. He won the Calder, put up 10 points in 7 playoff games in his rookie year, and signed a long-term deal that would take him into his prime. Colorado was also a very bad and young team at the time. I'd say the cap hit was pretty fair, but the term made it a bargain for Colorado.

It was a fine contract given his pedigree, it was just in no way a discount which is how he described it when he claimed he said he was going to take less on his next contract.

"On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group."

So if his definition of "less" is his current contract he's going to sign at about market value on his next deal.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It was a fine contract given his pedigree, it was just in no way a discount which is how he described it when he claimed he said he was going to take less on his next contract.
It's the same way Brad Marchand said if you want to play for the Bruins you will need to sacrifice making less money. Once again that's easy to say, however if David Pastrnak keeps up the same scoring pace do you think he will want to make more than $6.7 million AAV.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Pietrangelo - pending UFA:

- Just turned 30
- Playing the best hockey of his career
- Just captained a team to a Stanley Cup
- Arguably STL's best player
- Armstrong generally does not hand out monster deals
- Blues are a cap team with
- STL is in the midst of their cup window
- Blues just traded for and extended Justin Faulk :huh: (I blame Chiarelli)
- Parayko locked in for 3.5 seasons
- Josi, Doughty, Karlsson, Subban all making 9+ million a year

I think it gets done, but 'how it gets done', I have no idea

Last edited:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Disagree - Pulock, Pelech, Barzal, Toews, Aho all in the next couple years, with a need to bring in some scoring as well. I think there could be some cap pressure on the island by 2021.
And like every team, contracts coming off and other moves made. Islanders are not, have never been, and never will be a team in cap trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->