What are some funny and mind blowing NHL facts?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Here's one for the "lol rebuilding since 1967" crowd.
The Leafs simply didn't lose enough games from 1967-2008 to have anything resembling a rebuild with top tier picks.
2007-8 was the first time since the 1927-28 season that they missed the playoffs more than two seasons in a row.
This includes the horror that were the Ballard years, where the team was practically sabotaged by ownership.
Always being within striking distance of the playoffs meant being a team more likely to retool than rebuild.

Another urban legend.

The Leafs made the playoffs with some awful records in the 1980s.

25-48-7 in 1985-86 and 21-49-10 in 1987-88 come to mind.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Jahangir Khan is the most dominant athlete in history. His dominance over the sport of squash throughout the 1980s cannot be matched. From 1981 to 1986 he went unbeaten, which is an incredible achievement given the regularity of squash matches. In that time, he was undefeated in 555 matches, a record which stands in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest winning streak by any athlete in top-level professional sport. Kahn won the World Open six times and the British Open ten times. Jahangir Kahn once won the World Championships without dropping a single game, an indication of his sheer dominance.

Winning 555 squash matches in a row does not have an equivalent in any sport period. The closest my mind can get in regards to hockey would be if a player went on a 3 season point streak.
There are a couple of freak athletes like that out there. Edwin Moses, "The Experiment" Karelin, Don Bradman etc. They were all the very peak of their sports. To me it's impossible to just declare one the absolute best athlete over all sports ever.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I didn't know this but found out the NHL doesn't own the Stanley Cup.

In the event of a lock out season, the Trustees of the Cup can award the trophy to a non NHL team. Whether they would or not is another matter but it appears there is a legal path to do so.

Of all of the posts in this thread, this is my absolutely favorite, and the coolest tidbit of "new information that I wasn't aware of", in my opinion.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
It’s crazy to think that if Gretzky had never scored a single NHL goal he’d still be the highest scoring player ever. That’s just nuts!

Reactions: Sk8M8

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Edmonton Gretzky had 1669 points, which would be good for 8th all time (behind only Jagr, Messier, Howe, Francis, Dionne, Yzerman, and Lemieux)

LA/STL/NY Gretzky had 1188 points, which would be good for 47th all time (ahead of guys like Fedorov, Bobby Hull, and Bossy)

You could cut his career in half, and each half would be a HOF worthy career on its own. Mind-blowing.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Tom Barrasso has the most career assists (48) by a goaltender. 777 games
Grant Fuhr is second with 47 helpers, 868 games
Martin Brodeur holds the record for the most goals ever scored by a goalie. 2 in the regular season, and 1 in the playoffs. EDIT- his 2nd goal is the only game winning goal by a goalie.

Last edited:

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Grant Fuhr has the most career playoff assists (14), 150 games, by a goalie
Brodeur is 2nd, with 12. 205 games.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Theo Fleury's Flame record for plus/minus in a game of +9 is only good for the second best to Tom Bladon who had a +10 on Dec. 11th, 1977 which wasn't the game Darryl set the single-game point record in.

I hadn't heard of Tom Bladon either. Also, shameless plug of Theo Fleury yet again by me.

:naughty:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
There have been several 50 goal scorers throughout the NHL history but no one line has produced three 50 goal scorers in a single season.

That almost happened in '92-'93 with the Buffalo Sabres as Alexander Mogilny and Pat Lafontaine each scored over 50 goals and David Andreychuk was trending that way however he was traded mid-season to the Maple Leafs (where he finished with over 50 goals).

We came so close in 87/88

Calgary Flames 1987-88 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Niewendyk 51, Loob 50, Bullard 48

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille