What are some funny and mind blowing NHL facts?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Canucks and Flames have had three times playoff series which has gone into game 7 OT, each on the first round of playoffs and each time the winner has gone to the Stanley Cup Final.

Reactions: Leafs21 and Sk8M8

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
The Winnipeg Jets 2-1 victory over the Kings on Wednesday night (November 22) was the first time in the Thrashers/Jets franchise history that they won against the Kings in regulation time playing in Los Angeles.

:jets

Last edited:
Reactions: GoJetsGo55

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
I scored as many goals as Crosby, Malkin, Iginla, Neal, Dupuis and Letang combined during the 2013 ECF.

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016
such a mind blowing stat it is beyond insane,there is no player who dominated their sport like Gretzky did, people are going to bring up Jordan, Ruth, whoever, but Gretzky is in a league by himself

Jordan I agree with. And I think Gretzky is more impressive because his domination hasn't yet been equaled.

But Ruth set some records that are extreme. This is all from memory so the dates may be a bit off, but in 1920 with the Yankees he hit 54 hrs. This was more than any other TEAM in the league.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
That the oilers are still garbage.

How many lottery wins does it take to turn the Oilers around?
- No one knows

(I didn't do so well at amateur night... except in Calgary and well... the rest the Canada)

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Gretzky has 2,857 career points.

Jagr is second at 1,914.

99 would still have the record if he didn't score a single goal.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I didn't know this but found out the NHL doesn't own the Stanley Cup.

In the event of a lock out season, the Trustees of the Cup can award the trophy to a non NHL team. Whether they would or not is another matter but it appears there is a legal path to do so.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Why is Dallas Eakins mentioned so often? He was the head coach for one year and 31 games. His only full season with the Oilers they were 3rd worst in the league. Before he ever showed up they finished 7th worst, 2nd worst, very worst, and very worst. During a season that he coached less than half of, they finished 3rd worst, and in the following season they were 2nd worst after he was fired.

With Eakins: 3rd, 3rd
Without Eakins: 7th, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 2nd

From 09-10 to 15-16, the Oilers averaged being the 2.6th worst team in the league without Eakins and they were the 3rd worst team in the league with Eakins. I understand that he was a very immature poor coach and I remember the Taylor Hall water bottle incident but it's not as if he is the reason for the Oilers' failures both before and after he arrived. The Oilers missed the playoffs for ten straight seasons and a guy who coached for less than 1 and a half is really the guy to blame for their struggles and for them becoming a less than world class hockey organization? They had missed the playoffs 7 times before he arrived.

i think he became a whipping boy and scapegoat for the fans because of their over-reaction and glee having thought they pulled one over on the maple leafs when they first signed him.

they created such a media frenzy over this 'theft' that they felt embarrassed when they didn't match expectation and win the stanley cup immediately with him and their passion of love turned to illogical hatred.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad