What are our chances of making it to the cup final?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Am I the only one who thinks if Detroit is healthy and plays the Bruins, they can beat them?

Datsyuk is skating again and should be back before the playoffs - good news for the Wings. If Zetterberg come back, they have a decent shot at beating Boston. Wings' young guys Nyquist and Tatar are fantastic.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Vanek!

Datsyuk is skating again and should be back before the playoffs - good news for the Wings. If Zetterberg come back, they have a decent shot at beating Boston. Wings' young guys Nyquist and Tatar are fantastic.

The way things are shaping up it'll be Pittsburgh vs Detroit, Boston vs Columbus or Washington.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

They could be this year eastern LA team if healthy.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I dunno, I feel like we could beat anyone in the first round, but the 2nd round is trickier... Team get on a roll once the pass the first round... Boston would be much harder to beat in the 2nd than in the first IMO. They struggled against us before blowing out everyone else on route to winning it all and last year, Toronto almost beat them before they eventually ran over NYR and Pitts to get to the finals... I think we can take them, but man, they are deep and solid everywhere!!! Plus, I'm not even sure we beat Tampa...

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
1 out of 8 in absolute numbers.

But looking at it with a critical eye... whoever makes it in as wildcards have very little chances of actually going through, IMO. Even if they manage to beat Boston/Piitsburgh, they'll still be underdogs in Round 2 and Round 3.

So 1/6, 1/4 if we make it to Round 2 and 1/2 if we make it to the ECF.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I've learned to not speculate on the playoffs because anything can happen. I thought we'd trounce the Sens last year and we got trounced. People thought we'd get beaten easily in 2010 and Halak led us to the ECF. Every year, people think San Jose will make it far and they never do, despite being "contenders" etc. One thing you can count on, there will be battles and there will be upsets.

And this thread/related threads prove what I'm saying... Some of us think we won't even make it past Tampa, and some can see us going to the Finals because of the weak East. At this point, I don't even know which one is more probable, but I'm gonna enjoy the ride regardless.

Edit: Pre-vanek, I don't like our chances against Tampa... Post-Vanek, I do. That's my stance.

Koivu777

Feb 26, 2012
I've learned to not speculate on the playoffs because anything can happen. I thought we'd trounce the Sens last year and we got trounced. People thought we'd get beaten easily in 2010 and Halak led us to the ECF. Every year, people think San Jose will make it far and they never do, despite being "contenders" etc. One thing you can count on, there will be battles and there will be upsets.

And this thread/related threads prove what I'm saying... Some of us think we won't even make it past Tampa, and some can see us going to the Finals because of the weak East. At this point, I don't even know which one is more probable, but I'm gonna enjoy the ride regardless.

Edit: Pre-vanek, I don't like our chances against Tampa... Post-Vanek, I do. That's my stance.

Yea, gonna be fun come playoff time. Who knows, anything can happen in the playoffs.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Last year you could tell we were going to be disapointed, Price wasn't the goalie we were used to and we lost plenty of our last few games. This year there is no sign of us collapsing and we are almost a completely different team with Vanek in it seems, less of a struggle to score goals.

I think we are definitely a better team this season than last, but I am worried that Therrien will not be able to coach to the level that Jacques Martin did when we got really far last time.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
I think we are definitely a better team this season than last, but I am worried that Therrien will not be able to coach to the level that Jacques Martin did when we got really far last time.

Was it Martin or was it really Muller?

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
My personal opinion on our chances against each team that "could" be an opponent at some point during this post season:

Boston - 50/50
Pittsburgh - 50/50
Tampa - 50/50
Rangers - 65/35 (I think we can beat em)
Philly - 65/35 (I think we can beat em too, they aren't as tough as they once were and their D sucks)
Detroit -50/50
Columbus 65/35 (Again, they don't worry me, I think we'll take them in 6 or 7)
Washington 90/10 (Don't care about regular season, I just don't see them beating anyone let alone us)
Toronto 50/50 (They have our number and vice versa)

There's no team I think we're guaranteed to beat, but imo there's no team guaranteed to beat us either. I don't let Washington's regular season against us fool me either, we could beat them easily.

Our best bet is probably Tampa --> Boston --> Pittsburgh --> Chicago/Colorado, in other words we'd need to get lucky with teams.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Beat the Bolts? Possible.
Beat the Bruins? Coin toss.
Beat the Rangers, Penguins or Red Wings? Possible.
Beat the Flyers? Coin toss.

BobBobrovsky*

The Habs will not beat the Flyers in the playoffs if they meet them in the conference finals (but I don't think we'll beat Boston in round 2). Anyone other than Boston or Philly I think we could beat in the East. St. Louis, L.A., and probably SJ too, would destroy us in the finals.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
All I ask is that the Hab lineup is healthy, focused and determined, well-coached... and red hot.

The future shall reveal itself.

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
We are not the favourite but have a shot. For the first time in 20 years.

Can't help but think back to the trade deadline when many on this board wanted Markov traded. Or Gionta for a lousy 5th round pick.

I know what you mean. Far too many "fans" were convinced we were not going to even make the playoffs. I have been saying for awhile that we are a couple of pieces away from being a contender. I think Vanek and Weaver were the right pieces to bring in. I think we have as good a shot as any other team of going to the Cup, even better than quite a few. Of course, anything can happen between now and then, so we will see. I just think we have a very good team, and have said this for a few years. Heck, next year we should be even better when we make room for Beaulieu and Tinordi! Within a couple of years we have McCarron (spelling??) coming in. Just imagine if we can sign Vanek!! Whether or not we lose in the first round, we have hope that the team will only improve and I look forward to seeing a lot of retraction posts from certain people who stated at the start of the season that we had no chance and should blow the team up. I am sooo happy we did not sell Markov at the deadline like far too many foolishly wanted. Keeping him was the equivalent to going out and trading for a top pairing defenceman without having to give away anything to do it. I know some will crow about how we lost an opportunity if we do lose in the first round, but I am happy with getting into the payoffs and seeing if we can do damage, rather than hope that some prospect or pick we could have gotten for Markov might help our team in 3 years...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
All I ask is that the Hab lineup is healthy, focused and determined, well-coached... and red hot.

The future shall reveal itself.

As long as the future reveals itself now, we're cool. Tired of sitting around waiting for events to happen whenever they ****ing feel like it. What is this -- our grandparents time-space continuum??

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Price is the kind of goalie who can send us on a run.

If that happens, it could happen.
Any goalie can send you on a run.

Price is more consistent than he's ever been, which raises his chances of sending us on a run. Hopefully he can put up his best playoffs yet and build off the Olympics.

He hasn't had much playoff success yet. He's honestly had one good series. Aside from that he's ranged from awful to bad to mediocre to average to decent.

Price has changed this year though and he's a completely different goalie. Before, he was solid. Now, he's elite. Let's hope it carries over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad