What are hockey's famous "Carlton Fisk" moments that didn't translate into winning?

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Ed Belfour's performance in game 5 of the 2000 Stanley Cup finals comes to mind. Modano scored the OT winner but Belfour was the star of that game........and of course the Devils won in OT in Game 6 to clinch the cup.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
How about game 5 of the 2009 cup finals? Fleury with one of the greatest performances by a goalie in the cup finals. And of course, Sykora said he would score the OT winner and did. Amazing game for the Penguins.

And then they lost in game 6.

Reactions: Tarantula

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Auston Matthews scoring an NHL record 4 goals in a debut game only to see his Leafs lose 5-4 to the Sens in OT.

This also has me thinking of the oft-shown clip of Mario Lemieux scoring on his first NHL shift in 1984, going right through Bourque to do it too.

The Penguins still lost that game.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Hasek faced 50 shots in Game 6 of 3OT of the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals, the last of which was a non-goal uncalled penalty.

BUT... Kevin Weekes cites:
Dominik Hasek, Buffalo Sabres, April 27, 1994 Hasek made 70 saves in a 1-0 playoff victory against a young rookie named Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. It was one of the best games I have seen, if not the best. How does it get better than that? Not only the saves, but the quality of saves in the entire game and then with the game being on the line in overtime and the significance of the game. Hasek could make saves in so many different ways. He could improvise and his ability to read the game was unparalleled. Hasek could see the same shot or a similar shot and stop it in different ways at different times. You never knew what he was going to do. He was so unpredictable, which, to me, made him more fun to watch.
Weekes: Hasek's 70-save performance best ever - NHL.com - News

In Game 7 the Devils won on a Claude Lemieux game winner: 2-1.

Messier had to later make his legendary promise to win Game 7 against the very same Devils squad to win a berth to the Stanley Cup Finals where Mess won even though Linden scored 2 goals in the 3-2 Rags over Canucks game 7 final.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killion

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Another one is Crosby’s hat trick vs Washington in game 2 of the 2009 ECSF. Ovi also had a hat trick and the Caps won 4-3.

Another playoff hat trick in a losing effort- Trevor Linden, game 5, 1996 Canucks/Avalanche first round. Sakic matched him with 3 goals and Colorado won in OT

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Lets not forgot this classic between the Devils and Leafs in 2001:

Steve Thomas & Mats Sundin combined for 6 points in the final frame and 4 goals (Mogilny still had the best performance though with 5 points). Leafs were on fire to start the playoffs, winning 5 in a row.

3 games later, in game 5, Kaberle scores (albeit a controversial one) in the final 30 seconds to put the Leafs up 3-2 in the series...only to lose game 6 at home and get routed in game 7. Great series and Leafs had a great playoff team that year but the devils were destined to face the Avs in final.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Going back a few years....in an epic series in the 1971 semifinals, Pete Stemkowski scored in triple overtime in game 6 for the Rangers to even the Rangers/Hawks series at 3 games apiece.

Game 7 would go to the Hawks in Chicago, as Hull, Mikita, Espo, etc. went on to the finals.

Before the Matteau goal, this was the biggest goal in NYR history.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018
A little different, as there was technically no "next game", but Zach Parise tying up the Gold Medal game with 24 seconds left, sending the game to OT at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

In the end, it didn't matter as all it did was just delay the silver medal

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
When Adam Foote scored to put Canada up 2-1 in the 1996 World Cup Final, it had "heartwarming narrative" written all over it. Rugged, dependable good guy who most people wouldn't have had making the team before the tournament scores the big one to win it? You'd never hear the end of it. But then the Americans blew the game wide open, so it's just another goal now.

I honestly thought Canada was going to win that game, and I think most people did too. I think Richter did as well. It was one of those games where Richter just robbed us blind and we never thought we'd get anything by him only to have two screened shots elude him. If you watch the replay of that goal you see Fleury duck just barely out of the way from Foote's shot before it goes past Richter. He never saw it. He didn't even move.

Then the controversial Hull goal, then Amonte's goal in which a frustrated Foote fishes the puck out of the net and backhands it away and then the empty netter and the insurance goal after. 5-2 final after the game was 2-1 with three minutes left. Heartbreaking. I remember them interviewing Foote after the game and he looked devastated.

Rangers Islanders in 1984. Game 5 (decisive game) and the Rangers tie it on a very controversial likely high stick, only to have Morrow finish them on a screened trickler

Hanlon made an incredible save on Bob Bourne earlier as well

Just imagine that goal contributing to ending the Isles Cup run? Let's say the Rangers win the game in overtime which is quite possible because there was a play just before the Morrow goal where Smith made a save on Bob Brooke that was labelled for the net. But if that goal by (Maloney?) that was clearly a high stick to tie it ends up being important in the end because the Rangers win then we have a whole new look on the Oilers/Isles dynasties.

Because it is clear as day that is a high stick. Even if watching the replays they had in 1984 it is clear as day that it is a high stick. But without video review it counted. But if we have the luxury to see that this tainted goal helped knock off the Isles we would always be thinking "Well, the Oilers never knocked them off, we'd never know whether or not they could have won 5." It was much better that we had the 1983 and 1984 Cup finals the way they were in a passing of the torch type of manner.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
A little different, as there was technically no "next game", but Zach Parise tying up the Gold Medal game with 24 seconds left, sending the game to OT at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

In the end, it didn't matter as all it did was just delay the silver medal

I was livid when that goal went in because Canada was playing it too cute before that. Heatley had a point blank chance to make it 3-1 in the 3rd period. Crosby had a clear cut breakaway with three minutes left, I mean he was WIDE open and this was the moment you figure "Okay here is the iconic moment of the Olympics, the best player in the NHL is going to score to make it 3-1 and seal the game. Then out of nowhere Patrick Kane catches up to him and negates the breakaway, he never got a shot on net. Honestly, chalk the Kane defensive play as one of these moments NO ONE remembers but without it the Parise goal means nothing at the time.

Also, before the Parise goal Canada was content to ice the puck and it just had that feel that it was going to come back and bite them eventually. They had Toews, Getzlaf, Nash, Niedermayer and Weber on the ice when the Parise goal went in. I know Nash had a good game because he had some good scoring chances and 5 shots, but I don't know why Babcock had him in there in a defensive position. Bergeron had gotten hurt but you still had Morrow, Richards, etc. guys like that who could have filled in for that final shift. Unless their shift just ended, I can't remember.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
How about this one...............Team USA's tying goal with 6 seconds left in Game 1 of the 1996 World Cup final? You might think it was important, but remember, they lost that game in overtime on a blown offside call involving Yzerman and BrindAmour. Leclair got the goal with 7 seconds left. In hindsight, Sather made a poor choice on who he had on the ice. With the faceoff in Canada's end all we had to do was win it and wrap it around the boards and the game was over. Conventional wisdom suggests you have two centres on the ice in case one gets thrown out at that point in the game. Messier was on the ice, as good of a choice to win a faceoff as anyone, but he got tossed out of the circle. That left Adam Graves to fill in and he doesn't take a lot of faceoffs. USA wins the faceoff which leads to the goal.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Going back a few years....in an epic series in the 1971 semifinals, Pete Stemkowski scored in triple overtime in game 6 for the Rangers to even the Rangers/Hawks series at 3 games apiece.

Game 7 would go to the Hawks in Chicago, as Hull, Mikita, Espo, etc. went on to the finals.

Before the Matteau goal, this was the biggest goal in NYR history.
The Stemkkowski goal was the one I was thinking of. Played at MSG a million times. Never understood as they lost the series.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
I honestly thought Canada was going to win that game, and I think most people did too. I think Richter did as well. It was one of those games where Richter just robbed us blind and we never thought we'd get anything by him only to have two screened shots elude him. If you watch the replay of that goal you see Fleury duck just barely out of the way from Foote's shot before it goes past Richter. He never saw it. He didn't even move.

Then the controversial Hull goal, then Amonte's goal in which a frustrated Foote fishes the puck out of the net and backhands it away and then the empty netter and the insurance goal after. 5-2 final after the game was 2-1 with three minutes left. Heartbreaking. I remember them interviewing Foote after the game and he looked devastated.

Just imagine that goal contributing to ending the Isles Cup run? Let's say the Rangers win the game in overtime which is quite possible because there was a play just before the Morrow goal where Smith made a save on Bob Brooke that was labelled for the net. But if that goal by (Maloney?) that was clearly a high stick to tie it ends up being important in the end because the Rangers win then we have a whole new look on the Oilers/Isles dynasties.

Because it is clear as day that is a high stick. Even if watching the replays they had in 1984 it is clear as day that it is a high stick. But without video review it counted. But if we have the luxury to see that this tainted goal helped knock off the Isles we would always be thinking "Well, the Oilers never knocked them off, we'd never know whether or not they could have won 5." It was much better that we had the 1983 and 1984 Cup finals the way they were in a passing of the torch type of manner.
I like your take on this ( no question that it was a high stick on Maloney's goal).
Of course, if replay was around for the 1980 finals....the isles had a blatantly offside goal and they also scored on a high stick in game 6 of the final. If those goals didn't count, there is no Nystrom OT goal....and perhaps no start of the isles cup run.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I like your take on this ( no question that it was a high stick on Maloney's goal).
Of course, if replay was around for the 1980 finals....the isles had a blatantly offside goal and they also scored on a high stick in game 6 of the final. If those goals didn't count, there is no Nystrom OT goal....and perhaps no start of the isles cup run.

The offside goal, no doubt. I have no idea what Leon Stickle was seeing, he was right there to call it. The Flyers delayed for just a second because they thought it was offside. That gave Sutter just enough time to score with them standing still. The high stick in Game 6 of 1980 was Potvin's goal. I honestly think from the replays I have seen of it that it is clearly below his shoulder. Maybe his chest at the highest. I've always thought that was a good goal.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
1. Trevor Linden game tying goal in Nagano 1998 v. Czechs in the last minute against unstoppable Hasek. Then the shootout.
2. Daniel Alfredsson cross checking Tucker then scoring the winning goal vs Leafs in 2002 ECSF game 5, to go up 3-2 in the series. Then losing the next 2 games.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
THE GREATEST MEANINGLESS GOAL.

Oveckin's epic against Phoenix his rookie season was a model of acrobatic persistence. But the Caps were already up 5-1 and that exceptional effort ended it 6-1.

The Caps finished in the NHL basement but OV scored 50+ goals, many of them also meaningless, and took home the Calder trophy.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Interesting topic and OP.

First of all, the Fisk HR is possibly the most famous postseason home run in all of baseball history. Much to Cincinnati’s - and especially Joe Morgan’s - chagrin, it’s really the only thing most people think of when it comes to the ‘75 World Series. The hockey equivalent would be Bobby Orr scoring his famous goal in Game 6, and the Bruins losing Game 7 to St. Louis the next day.

I honestly think there’s no equivalent to it in NHL history. Certainly nothing that anyone could call transcendental to the point that non-hockey or “casual” fans would call to mind at an instant. I don’t think the NFL really has such a moment, either.

The only thing I can think of that APPROACHES Fisk’s home run would be Michael Jordan’s 63 points vs. the Celtics in a first round game in ‘86. The Bulls lost the game and the series, but people still talk about that time Jordan dropped 63 in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarantula

Ghost Bear

Mar 7, 2015
Mikko Koivu's 'legendary' OT goal in the semi-final of the 2007 IIHF WC.

The next day Finland lost 4-2 to Canada in the final.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Agree with Zach Parise's goal on this one. That was a super dramatic goal to send the game into OT, one that would be remembered far more if USA ended up winning. He wouldn't be as overshadowed if one of his teammates was the one who scored the goal, since his goal was what gave them the chance in the first place.

One goal I've never liked is Theoren Fleury's famous game six OT winner in Edmonton. Not only did Fleury go overboard with the hot-dogging in celebration, but the Oilers won the series 48 hours later.
On a thread I started I believe 4 years ago about the biggest goal in your favorite team's history, a Flames fan mentioned this goal, which left me utterly confused. They lost game 7 in this series. The biggest goal in their history is definitely Joel Otto's OT goal vs the Canucks in game 7 in 1989, since that was OT of the only game they faced elimination in their cup winning season.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
this is bure's career in florida in a nutshell.

Colorado Avalanche at Florida Panthers Box Score — March 3, 1999

COL-1999.png
Colorado Avalanche
31-23-8

FLA-1999.png
Florida Panthers
22-23-16

Scoring Summary
bure scores a natural hat trick. chases patrick roy. panthers up 5-0. then bure steps on a puck, is out for the season.

after that, forsberg gonna forsberg. three goals, three assists. avs win 7-5.

Reactions: GB and Killion

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Interesting topic and OP.

First of all, the Fisk HR is possibly the most famous postseason home run in all of baseball history. Much to Cincinnati’s - and especially Joe Morgan’s - chagrin, it’s really the only thing most people think of when it comes to the ‘75 World Series. The hockey equivalent would be Bobby Orr scoring his famous goal in Game 6, and the Bruins losing Game 7 to St. Louis the next day.

I honestly think there’s no equivalent to it in NHL history. Certainly nothing that anyone could call transcendental to the point that non-hockey or “casual” fans would call to mind at an instant. I don’t think the NFL really has such a moment, either.

The only thing I can think of that APPROACHES Fisk’s home run would be Michael Jordan’s 63 points vs. the Celtics in a first round game in ‘86. The Bulls lost the game and the series, but people still talk about that time Jordan dropped 63 in the playoffs.

That game had a lot of moments that were more clutch and overshadowed by the Fisk HR. The Carbo home run with the Sox trailing and him looking badly fooled in the 8th. Only 4 outs to go in the Sox season

Evans catch after outright losing the baseball and just throwing his glove up behind his ear

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad