What are hockey's famous "Carlton Fisk" moments that didn't translate into winning?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Interesting topic and OP.

First of all, the Fisk HR is possibly the most famous postseason home run in all of baseball history. Much to Cincinnati’s - and especially Joe Morgan’s - chagrin, it’s really the only thing most people think of when it comes to the ‘75 World Series. The hockey equivalent would be Bobby Orr scoring his famous goal in Game 6, and the Bruins losing Game 7 to St. Louis the next day.

I honestly think there’s no equivalent to it in NHL history. Certainly nothing that anyone could call transcendental to the point that non-hockey or “casual” fans would call to mind at an instant. I don’t think the NFL really has such a moment, either.

The only thing I can think of that APPROACHES Fisk’s home run would be Michael Jordan’s 63 points vs. the Celtics in a first round game in ‘86. The Bulls lost the game and the series, but people still talk about that time Jordan dropped 63 in the playoffs.

More famous home runs in baseball history, perhaps, would be Bobby Thomson's 1951 shot heard round the world. Maz's Game 7 home run in 1960, Carter's in 1993, Freese in 2011, Puckett in 1991. Even though the Giants didn't win the World Series in 1951, they did win the pennant against the Dodgers. Maybe only the Thomson home run is more well known than the Fisk one just because of the imagery of the Fisk HR. But I have mentioned before, I could think of at least a dozen home runs more important, if not more, than the Fisk one, just not as famous but ones that were more important to the context of winning.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Wendel Clark's hat trick against the Kings in game 6. Came off the bench for the extra man and tied the game up in last minute with an incredible wrist shot. Then, the high stick, The Great One scores in overtime, and good night.

Came in here to post this.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Also, I can't say enough about Brian Boyle's pass to Kapanen in the playoffs two years ago. Had the Leafs pulled off the upset in that series, we'd talk about that pass like Gilmour's goal in 1993.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
More famous home runs in baseball history, perhaps, would be Bobby Thomson's 1951 shot heard round the world. Maz's Game 7 home run in 1960, Carter's in 1993, Freese in 2011, Puckett in 1991. Even though the Giants didn't win the World Series in 1951, they did win the pennant against the Dodgers. Maybe only the Thomson home run is more well known than the Fisk one just because of the imagery of the Fisk HR. But I have mentioned before, I could think of at least a dozen home runs more important, if not more, than the Fisk one, just not as famous but ones that were more important to the context of winning.

The Gibson one was incredible considering he could barely stand, was facing a dominant closer, and his team was a major underdog against a powerhouse club. They fall behind 1-0 in that series who knows if they recover. Oaklands outfield was ready to throw him out at first should he hit a line drive that's how hobbled he was. He had to go out there and try to hit it out. And he did. The emotional lift the Dodgers got from that won them the World Series. After that bolt out of the blue there was no way Oakland comes off the canvas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad