Post-Game Talk: What An Intense Finish! Leafs Win 5-4!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Phaneuf also has 31 PIM compared to Weber's 12, which decreases Phaneuf's TOI/G. He's also gets paired up with Franson, which is a handicap in itself.

How can you try to make out more than twice as many penalty minutes as a good thing? This isn't fantasy hockey, it's actual hockey. Every penalty your #1 defenseman takes that didn't prevent a goal is a blunder. Phaneuf takes a lot of dumb penalties.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Phaneuf already had 31 pim? Looks like he's trying to defend that 'most minor penalties in the league' title

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's a bit of a blessing in disguise for Panik right now. Lupul being out for another 2 weeks or so should give him plenty of time to keep playing some good minutes and to show his skillset.

Hopefully he can keep up some good production and that will hopefully open the eyes of management to perhaps entertain the thought of trading Lupul in the next couple months.

Feb 24, 2004
I still can't figure out if this team makes the playoffs.

looks pretty tough in the East.

We will finish tenth...can already see it coming from a mile away. This team isn't good enough to win, and management didn't do enough to tank. Sad stuff.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
It's a bit of a blessing in disguise for Panik right now. Lupul being out for another 2 weeks or so should give him plenty of time to keep playing some good minutes and to show his skillset.

Hopefully he can keep up some good production and that will hopefully open the eyes of management to perhaps entertain the thought of trading Lupul in the next couple months.

Agreed. I love Panik's 200 feet game, he makes good plays always engaged in corners and also forces turn overs. I also love how he grabs the opportunity to go to the slot and hang in there for the shot even while being watched by 2-3 opponents.

Love Panik so far, seems like he found a home with us finally.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Drives me nuts how loose he is on his checks in the defensive zone. That 4th NYR goal, he was just floating between two Rangers and faked out Rielly into thinking he would cover the one in front. Rielly should have known better, so it's still mostly his fault, but my god Bozak is just clueless in his own end. He eventually turned around and went to cover the guy off to the side of the net, and then completely lost body position and somehow managed to end up on the other side so that it was basically two Rangers completely uncovered with half the net empty. :facepalm:

Bozak gets way to much credit and Kadri not enough.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Noticing that Bozo is not playing short handed alot this season while JVR is killing penalties.

Coaching staff finally catching up to the myth about Bozo being a "defensive" player.

Trade his ass while his value is high. COME ON!

Do you ever stop lmao. You're seriously obsessed with the guy. Bozak played 19+ mins, thats quite a bit for a forward, really no space to fit him on the pk... Use your brain for once and not your bias/

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Any team's 2nd best scorer gets more credit than a mediocre player.

I think at ES Kadri has 7 points and Bozak has 6 points plus Kadri gets almost 2 minutes less ES ice time per game than Bozak. Also, Kadri is 0 plus/minus and Bozak is -3 at plus minus not that anyone cares about plus minus these days, just thought I'd throw it in.

If Kadri was left with Kessel, he'd leave Bozak in the dust in terms of points.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
The tying goal in the third period was Kadri's season in a nutshell - uses his body to separate the Ranger from the puck (instead of the bigger open ice hits he would make as a rookie), wins the puck, carries it behind the net to shake any Rangers, carries it from there right into the Rangers' zone (no flash, no dazzle, just finding open ice and playing safe and smart), wins a puck battle in the corner, takes it behind the net, finds the point man for a shot. If Polak doesn't score, no one even notices what Kadri did on the play. But it's no accident that he spends so much time in the offensive zone, and as some of us have been saying, the points will come.

Really glad that he's maturing and working on becoming a complete player this year - the reward will be next year when he's developed his defensive game enough that we can put Nylander on his left side, and there will be no shortage of offense then.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Bernier still looks like that knee is really slowing him down. That 4th goal was particularly bad for a goalie who is known to be technically strong.

Tyler Biggs*

Exciting game to watch. Komarov played amazing. Bernier kept Leafs in during 2nd period and team took advantage of the opportunity. Gardiner even made up for sloppy play with great set-up on game winner. Leafs (7-5-2) have now beat Rangers twice, Hawks once...starting to gel as a team even while not making too many mistakes.

Trolls will find a way to criticize the win, and like pretty much any win by any team there are indeed things to criticize. I'm actually impressed with what Leafs have done to this point. Obviously proof will be in whether they repeat their annual skid, but I think there is a developing character to the team (and Clarkson is actually a part of it!).

Oct 19, 2007
Bernier still looks like that knee is really slowing him down. That 4th goal was particularly bad for a goalie who is known to be technically strong.

Personally I think that Kadri played very well in the last half of last night's game. I hope that he can build on that and help the team going forward. The first half he was no better than so so with some lazy shifts. I agree that all players have these shifts but a player trying to become a number 1 center cannot have these shifts. He is always under the radar to play hard every shift. I wish he comes to be the center that he thinks that he is.

Oh and as for todays game....Go Leafs Go.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Did he forgot to mention the mins? I mean come on Weber has average of 27:21 mins of ice time and Phaneuf 23:13 mins. So every night he plays over 4 mins compared to Dion and also is better in +/-.

So Weber played 56 more minutes this year and still can't outscore Phaneuf.

Also Weber has a significantly better partner to play with than Phaneuf does.

Tyler Biggs*

You've to realize that Talbot played because the Leafs destroyed Lundqvist last month and scored 6 goals against him. I'm not sure why people are complaining that teams are playing their backups against Toronto. Only 2 have used their backups against the Leafs.

Great win and great game by Komarov. I like his work ethic. Leafs defence still a bit slack in front of their own net on a couple of NY goals. They got to have better starts going forward to make the playoffs. Go Leafs Go! Way to go guys, good comeback win.

Hocks95*

ok seriously stop the weber phaneuf comparisons.

I realize you may just be doing it looking at their stats so far but that doesn't mean anything. Phaneuf may have better or equal stats but for the most part he still looks like a pylon very often. Players often outwheel him and crash the net, it's like he's always flat footed. Weber also is a much much better captain and helps his team in many more ways than Phaneuf.

I remember one of Craig Smith's goal, craig smith was in the defensive zone and was having a hard time catching up to speed and weber just took his stick and pushed him with it, it's those subtle little things, etc.

It's also about consistency , Phaneuf started this way last year too, Weber is consistent throughout the year. Phaneuf was like more than a plus 10 at one point.

I agree Phaneuf gets too much flack but then you see some people comparing him to Weber and that's where it gets insane imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad