What a DAVID CLARKSON BUYOUT would actually look like (it's good news for Clarkson)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Whenever you win the bidding for a player you reduce his trade value to 0 for at least the next 2 seasons. For the reason that if any team thought he was worth more they would have offered more. So a year or two down the road how would you expect another team to. Not only agree with your contract but to offer you good assets on top of it.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
For the 100th time. Best chance of ditching Clarkson is a seemingly inevitable Expansion Draft.

The Promised Land

Dec 30, 2013
For the 100th time. Best chance of ditching Clarkson is a seemingly inevitable Expansion Draft.

But doesn't that still require the expansion team to actually pick him to get him off of our roster? The only way I see that happening is if Old man Fletcher or JFJ are GM of said expansion franchise :(

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
But doesn't that still require the expansion team to actually pick him to get him off of our roster? The only way I see that happening is if Old man Fletcher or JFJ are GM of said expansion franchise :(

The same expansion team that needs to hit the league mandated salary cap floor. By that time he may only have a year or two left anyways.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What possible bonuses can Clarkson be hitting to justify getting all that money every July? Is it for participation, because that's all about I can think of right about now.

They're signing bonuses, Clarkson "earned" them on July 5th 2013 when he signed the contract.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
The ****? This team isnt winning anytime soon.

ENOUGH OF THIS SHORT SIGHTED ********. WE WERE NEVER GONNA WIN ANYTHING THIS YEAR, AND WE AREN'T GOING TO FOR THE NEXT 5 YEARS, TANK OR NO TANK.

WE SHOULD NOT BE A CAP TEAM WHEN WE AREN'T EVEN CLOSE TO CONTENDING.

Save that cap down the line when we will actually need it. The Gleason buyout was idiotic. We have that guy on the hook for 3 more years instead of 1 for no reason.

If Nonis is still the GM in the summer and he buys out the Clarkson contract (looks like an option based on the OP), then I am officially done with the leafs. I will move on to another team or quit watching hockey.

This.

This is one of, if not the most, Pejorative Slured ideas I`ve seen in recent years. Our team is garbage. We are not winning anything in the next few years. There is no reason to buyout Clarkson. If, in 3 or 4 years, we start winning and need cap space, then you do it. Then you`re only on the hook for a couple years -- not 10.

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-youth-movement-for-2016-world-cup/

Read Point 9. This thread is misleading and the title should be changed, or it should be closed IMO.

The post of mine cited in the OP is linked to an article dated Dec 2013 with the cap-hit of a Clarkson buy-out from Capgeek.

Post # 35 has a link from an article dated Nov 2014 citing Capgeek with different numbers.

Friedman's recent article suggests the same as the 2014 article. It looks like Capgeek updated their numbers when more information about the structure of Clarkson's contract became known.

Apologies for the confusion.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I think the longer our team sucks the longer we can wait to buy Clarkson out. Every year with him is 2 years less we have to have him on the books via a buy out. If we manage to not buy him out or have him assassinated in the next 3 years who knows maybe we could even trade him to a team trying to get to the cap floor....

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Nonis, and the pro scouts, should be fired over the Clarkson contract alone!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
They're signing bonuses, Clarkson "earned" them on July 5th 2013 when he signed the contract.

i should do this for my next job.
ask that i get extra money every year and then do nothing. :D

thanks by the way.

Leafspoison*

This just in.....Leafs past buy outs of 14 players cost 56,000,000 which means the Leafs have to sign 23 guys with 19,000,000

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
At this point it is not necessary to buy him out. Leafs are not contending and should be able to clear enough capspace to keep their young players and don't really need the little cap relief Clarkson might provide with a buyout (the fact buyout would be so long and at a sizeable cap hit number, it makes zero sense to buy him out at this point). Use the buyout on Clarkson when Leafs actually need the cap space in 3 years or so when they are hopefully in a position to contend.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The same expansion team that needs to hit the league mandated salary cap floor. By that time he may only have a year or two left anyways.

You know that this hypothetical expansion team will have access to free agency as well, right? Meaning they will be able to sign guys for money that represent better dollars spent than on Clarkson, on players who offer more than Clarkson does on the ice?

There are ways expansion teams can get to the cap floor without taking on junk contracts

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
now that hes playing better a trade could be our best bet. Eat 1.5 million and package him with a 3rd round pick.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
If we are rebuilding you you just stick him on the 3rd/4th line. He deserves the 4th but whatever.

If we are trying to get better immediately, you buy him out because he is sucks and just about any player in the organization would be an upgrade at a fraction of the cost.

BeerLeaguePro

Jun 27, 2014
Mimico proper
http://spectorshockey.net/blog/fun-with-nhl-buyout-calculations-salary-cap-recapture/

Scroll down a bit and this is what I remember a Clarkson buyout looking like from Capgeek.

So if he were bought out after this season, the cap savings would be $0.5m to $1.5m followed by $0.5m on the cap for 5 years after his contract is done.

Dude makes over 5m a season but buying him out gives next to no cap relief. Mind boggling!

Interestingly, I still get asking about Toronto Maple Leafs winger David Clarkson, especially whenever I or someone else mentions his “buyout-proof contract.†Here’s why it’s considered that way:
2015-16: $4,716,667
2016-17: $3,716,667
2017-18: $3,716,667
2018-19: $4,716,667
2019-20: $4,716,667
2020-21: $466,667
2021-22: $466,667
2022-23: $466,667
2023-24: $466,667
2024-25: $466,667

via the quoted link

Looks like they thought he would be useful till 2020 in their estimation ("we are not worried about year six and seven right now we are worried about year one and two"), then the buyout is a natural at a half mil going forward. If the contract contributes to a cup it is well worth it...this will not happen. To me its less about a failure of Clarkson being worth it than it is of Leaf [mis]management thinking we had a group that just need an experienced grinder to put us over the top. Nonis fail.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
If you rebuild the Clarkson contract doesn't matter. You can keep him while you stockpile picks for the next 5 years. He's not going to keep is out of the top 3 or 5.

I've felt as though the team should be blown up while keeping ****** contracts like clarksons to reach the floor. Ala Buffalo Sabres.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
The real problem is obvious.... it's management.

If you include this Clarkson idea as well as the compliance buyouts, that is 5 contract buy-outs in roughly 7-8 years.

No other teams have more than two (and most of those were the compliance buy-outs).

Clearly management, whether it be JFJ, Brian Burke, or Dave Nonis. All 3 have crippled the Leafs due to offering "market value" for players that end up not being worth it.

Paying somebody too much is one thing. Giving them a super long term is another, and adding in NTC's/NMC's is an entirely different and idiotic thing.

Most teams use those 3 items to help lessen others. An older player may be offered more money in hopes they are willing to accept shorter term. A player would be given a NTC/NMC in order to lower the salary demands. However, the Maple Leafs offered a 30 yr old physical player a 7-year deal, worth $5.25m per yr, with aNMC and somehow not a single person on staff seemed to stand up and ask if that was a good idea....

Management clearly cannot identify a players value properly. Considering this has happened with 3 different GM's it might be time ti revamp the ENTIRE Pro Scouting/Player Acquisition personnel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad