Tribute What a Change to our D Corps

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Really interested to see if Muzzin is coming back, what the d-pairs look like...

Gio-Lily has been dominant.

I guess Muzzin replaces Lyub's role more effectively?

Rielly-Brodie
Gio-Liljegren
Muzzin-Holl
Lyub

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Really interested to see if Muzzin is coming back, what the d-pairs look like...

Rielly-Brodie
Gio-Liljegren
Muzzin-Holl
Lyub

I would be shocked if Lybushkin is the odd man out.

There have been some instances already that I have seen forwards drive down his side with less enthusiasm as they know it won't be an easy path. Lke Muzzin when he is playing his game, the bear provides a physical edge. A presence.

I imagine Keefe will tinker less with the D when they are all healthy. A playoff defense has to be seasoned, physical and an intimidating task for the opposition.

To me this means the younger D sit out these p!ayoffs and continue to hone their craft in the regular season barring injury.

Mar 26, 2010

Rielly-Brodie
Gio-Liljegren
Muzzin-Holl
Lyub
This is the deepest and best D core Toronto has had since I can remember. Has to be top 5 in the League?

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Really curious to see who comes out for the playoffs if we’re all healthy. Going to be a big final 15 games to decide. Could be any of Lilly, Holl, Lyb, or even Muzzin if he doesn’t return to form. I think Sandin is the #8 looking into the playoffs.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I would be shocked if Lybushkin is the odd man out.

There have been some instances already that I have seen forwards drive down his side with less enthusiasm as they know it won't be an easy path. Lke Muzzin when he is playing his game, the bear provides a physical edge. A presence.

I imagine Keefe will tinker less with the D when they are all healthy. A playoff defense has to be seasoned, physical and an intimidating task for the opposition.

To me this means the younger D sit out these p!ayoffs and continue to hone their craft in the regular season barring injury.

It will probably come down to Holl or Liljegren as the odd man out; and I think that will depend on what version of Jake Muzzin they get.

If it's the dominant defensive Jake Muzzin, then use him heavily against the other teams best, and likely give him TJ Brodie as a partner. To me, that puts Justin Holl on the outside looking in with the chemistry that Liljegren and Giordano have had.

If Muzzin isn't quite up to that task, or if the Leafs want to try and preserve him a little bit / spread out the minutes & matchups, I can see Brodie going with Giordano, and trying to run 3 balanced pairs. In that case, you'd have to figure that Justin Holl would get the call alongside Jake Muzzin considering how good they've shown themselves to be in tough matchups that they wouldn't even be seeing as often.

That being said, I'd be more inclined to believe the Leafs will look to spread things out moreso than in the past... they have the luxury of a partner for Rielly that is a physical presence. They can use a Rielly-Lyubushkin combo against the other teams best as well... it's not quite like last year where they only had 1 physical defenceman capable of playing more than a #6 role.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
On Sandin's return, we will be up to 8 nhl calibre d-men, almost all of them top 4 eligible.
Who the hell is going to sit???????
Assuming they are all healthy, I have to think Rielly and Brodie are shoe ins.
Muzzin and Bushie I think are in because of the physical toughness. Good too.
Giordano is in, still showing Norris trophy ability.
Leaves one spot for Holl, Sandin and Lilly.
Well, we have depth for sure if we have any injury.
This has to be as deep a good defensive roster as anyone.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
On Sandin's return, we will be up to 8 nhl calibre d-men, almost all of them top 4 eligible.
Who the hell is going to sit???????
Assuming they are all healthy, I have to think Rielly and Brodie are shoe ins.
Muzzin and Bushie I think are in because of the physical toughness. Good too.
Giordano is in, still showing Norris trophy ability.
Leaves one spot for Holl, Sandin and Lilly.
Well, we have depth for sure if we have any injury.
This has to be as deep a good defensive roster as anyone.
Agreed. Even our #9D Dahlstrom looked very good too.

This is the deepest and best D since probably the 60's. Just too bad we don't have a Cujo, Felix, Eddie behind it. But if Jack is healthy and back on form....that is a game changer.

Last edited:

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Assuming everyone is healthy, Liljegren and Sandin will be the odd men out. Keefe will lean towards a veteran presence come playoff time, if it were up to me Lilly stays in but history has shown us Keefe will prefer to start off with the battletested vets.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Probably the best D core the team has put together since the better Quin seasons.
I was thinking Fletcher ere. Our 93 team in particular. Is it much of a gap?

It's great when your only weak spot is the most important position....if you pray, practice voodoo or have some other mystical means to chip in please take care of Jack.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Assuming everyone is healthy, Liljegren and Sandin will be the odd men out. Keefe will lean towards a veteran presence come playoff time, if it were up to me Lilly stays in but history has shown us Keefe will prefer to start off with the battletested vets.
I think the play down the stretch will determine who is in and who is out, but I agree - I think Sandin will be the odd man out on the left side because of numbers and all the missed time.

Boosh has never played in a playoff game in North America. The last time he played in the playoffs anywhere was 2017-18 - his last KHL season.

Liljegren has played a key role on an AHL championship team. Those playoffs were his coming out party.

Here is a real quirky stat. 38 year old Mark Giordano has played exactly 1 more playoff game in his career than Travis Dermott with only 2 more points.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think this is a real concern. Sandin and Timmy need injuries to play in the playoffs? Yeesh. They are at critical stages so I hope this play out well for them. I personally think Timmy has won Holl's job but we may go to the vet in the playoffs.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Looking past this season....

Muzzin 2 years left, Giordano is a rental, so we need a longer term left shot shut down Top 4 plan. Giordano in a few games has shown what value a true top 4 guy can be. Unfortunately age will catch up to him quickly here. He isn’t a long term solution, maybe another year, but I think a deep playoff will take years off him. Is the long term solution Sandin? I love the guy but does he have the ability to stay healthy? (whether that’s physical or playing style issues)

If the Boosh has a good playoff, you try to sign him. He’s what we need on the right side. Brodie and Lily should be playing above him though. Left side after Rielly is going to need someone. If Muzzin is fully recovered I would still just play him with the Boosh on the 3rd pairing.

(I know Holl is a Keefe favourite and will probably play these playoffs. Unless we win the cup, I would try to trade him in the off season .....maybe even if we win the cup.)

Last edited:

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I think this is a real concern. Sandin and Timmy need injuries to play in the playoffs? Yeesh. They are at critical stages so I hope this play out well for them. I personally think Timmy has won Holl's job but we may go to the vet in the playoffs.

Holl will start but I think he’ll have a short leash, this can all change by game 2 of course. Having 8 capable D come playoff time is never a bad problem to have.

Reactions: BlueBaron

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Rielly-Brodie
Gio-Liljegren
Muzzin-Holl
Lyub
As much as the Boosh has meshed with Rielly, I do think you’re right, it should be between Holl or The Boosh on the #6 spot. I prefer The Booshkin.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Holl will start but I think he’ll have a short leash, this can all change by game 2 of course. Having 8 capable D come playoff time is never a bad problem to have.
Very true and I agree. I do think there is a chance Timmy plays well enough to cut Holl off at the pass but he is the underdog. Gio has changed Timmy. Plz god let Gio be the next Spezza.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Agreed. Even our #9D Dahlstrom looked very good too.

This is the deepest and best D since probably the 60's. Just too bad we don't have a Cujo, Felix, Eddie behind it. But if Jack is healthy and back on form....that is a game changer.
And I thought Kral was great in preseason too.....if he gets a chance we may have more decent depth

Reactions: hobarth

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Since the Boosh trade 18gms ago:

Rielly 18gms, 23:15, 9gl/55pt/-9 pace, 58.6xgf%
Brodie 18gms, 23:07, 0gl/36pt/+41 pace, 57.4xgf%

Holl 16gms, 20:30, 5gl/41pt/+15 pace, 58.0xgf%
Gio 5gms, 20:11, 16gl/33pt/+16 pace, 68.5xgf%

Sandin 9gms, 16:57, 27gl/36pt/+18 pace, 54.2xgf%
Lilly 16gms, 16:15, 5gl/47pt/+26 pace, 69.2xgf%

Boosh 17gms, 16:04, 0gl/5pt/+10 pace, 53.4xgf%

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I agree nice job by Dubas. Our defenseman last season was the depth of this team. Our Leafs get exposed in the playoffs when the third and fourth lines are on the ice. Hopefully that changes. Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad