What 3 Players Need To Have The Biggest Years For Us?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think I did a similar thread last year.

Pick which 3 players that you think having breakout years will have the greatest impact on this team and explain why. This meaning that these players will exceed your expectations. For example, I'm not going to put Taylor Hall, because even if he doesn't improve at all, he is already a dominant force on the ice.

Here are my 3:

1) RNH. I'm hoping with a healthy summer to train, that he will have a bounce back year and be a 60p+ C to play with our high end wingers. If we get strong two way play from him, it will go a long way.

2) Yakupov. While we are weak down the middle, and our D has question marks, if Yakupov can exceed expectations and become a 30 goal scorer (certainly not impossible), the team will greatly benefit from having 2 very dangerous scoring lines.

3) Petry. I really struggled here between him, Fayne, Schultz and Marincin, but I like that he has a lot to prove on a contract year. If we get the better version of Petry playing on a consistent basis, it will really help us control our game from the back end.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
RNH

Yak

One of Petry/Schultz.

Goalies I wouldn't really call breakout as much as they need to keep up with what they have done so far over their short careers.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
This is easy..

RNH, Yakupov and Schultz.. If Scrivens plays as well as he did last year and those three players step up we can be a playoff team.

Going off of last year's stats + RNH, Yak and Schultz stepping up..

Hall [30G 50A 80P] - Nugent-Hopkins [20G 45A 65P] - Eberle [30G 40A 70P]
Perron [25G 30A 55P] - Arcobello [12G 25A 37P] - Yakupov [20G 30A 50P]
Pouliot [15G 15A 30] - Draisaitl [10G 25A 35P] - Purcell [15G 15A 30P]
Hendricks [5G 5A 10P] - Gordon [5G 10A 15P] - Lander [7G 8A 15P]

Nikitin [6G 20A 26P] - Fayne [4G 10A 14P]
Marincin [5G 20A 25P] - Petry [6G 20A 26P]
Ference [2G 8A 10P] - Schultz [15G 30A 45P]

Would this be enough production to be a playoff team? This would mean we'd have about 30-40 more goals than last year, which I don't think is that far fetched considering the additions with the bottom 6 and potential breakout years for 3 players. Not to mention our PP can't be any worse than last years..

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is easy..

RNH, Yakupov and Schultz.. If Scrivens plays as well as he did last year and those three players step up we can be a playoff team.

All 3 those guys step up we should be a playoff team no doubt.

RNH and Schultz step up say 10-15 points each and become better defensive players and I'd say we should be close to the playoffs if not in.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH

Yakupov

Scrivens

IMO. If all three have good years, then a playoff berth becomes a possibility.

pancirios

Nov 1, 2006
One has to be a goalie in my books so Scrivens. The last two have to be players filling in major holes for us. Going with Arcobello and Schultz.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Tough.

I'll say
1. Schultz
He needs to play Defense like he was at the end of the year, be capable of logging a lot of minutes, make simple puck clearing plays when need be.
2. Scrivens/Fasth
We need an above average showing from one or two for at least 40 games. We need a top 10 goalie.
3. Yakupov
I'm not worried about RNH....he's played bad occasionally but is generally not horrible....that prize usually goes to Gagner, Eberle, Yakupov, and yes...Hall. I choose Yak because he deserves a good season and because his success may translate to less pressure on Eberle and hence less Eberle-drop-pass-in-defensive-zone style plays.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
RNH 76pts (20 more than last yr)
Yak 31goals (20 more than last yr)
J.Schultz 50 pts (17 more pts than last yr)

Big years but not huge since i expect them to hit 90ptRNH, 40GYak, 60ptsSchultz in prime yrs.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Hall - Our leader, even if by "big year" we mean "a year like the last two", that is what we need.

Scrivens/Fasth - Whichever of these two becomes our starter needs to grab the bull by the horns early, and put up a career year.

Yakupov - Close between Yak, RNH and a d-man (Schultz), but I think if Yak breaks out, this team will be scoring a lot of goals on multiple different lines. Which is good because our defense is still not good.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Eakins

Schultz

Scrivens

Coaching needs to improve the most. We need Schultz to take a big step towards being a #1. Scrivens was great for stretches but needs to be consistent.

Our depth this year is solid and if those three things improve dramatically I think we could actually be a playoff team

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
1. Ben Scrivens
We need our defense to be at its best. And by at its best, I mean steady and reliable.

2. Jordan Eberle
Had a bit of an off year, a lot of off ice stuff from what I understand. If he plays point/game hockey like he can, less defensive attention will be on Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent Hopkins. Then look out!

3. Justin Schultz
Like Eberle, has proved he can do better than last year. Trading for Nikitin, and signing Fayne is going to add the depth we need around our young defensive core. Spreading the load around is going to make life a lot easier for Justin to jump into the rush.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
One from up front - Arco. If he shows up Marty St. Louis style...... He won't. But ******* it if he can be a 1B, maybe 2C, we're golden.

One from out back - J. Schultz. He gets the points. If he can play defence too...

And in the back - Scrivezina.

These three make us a borderline playoff team. Well, plus everyone else playing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad