What 3 goal deficit? Habs win 4-3 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nynja*

Seriously. Whoever else we have in that RW spot with Galchenyuk won't be producing anyways if it's one of DSP/Semin/Flynn. So if McCarron doesn't produce it won't effect the team in winning or losing. We are winning despite of that hole.

If he does click though and turns out to be able to produce, well then we are that much stronger. It'd be a good idea to give it a shot I think.

A line with a center playing wing, a center in junior whos only played wing in the NHL and is trying to be converted back to a center, and a winger in junior who was converted to center and started tearing it up as a center back on wing

Do we call it the "identity crisis" line?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
It seems points are all that matter to some of the stat watchers here. These people never seem to take in account other things like who the line-mates are they're playing with and things like offensive opportunities, TOI and PP TOI.

That sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. If anything, you're the stat watcher as you bring up a bunch of reasons as to why Eller would need more of these stats in order to produce more stats.

You can't say in the same sentence that DD is terrible in the POs and that Eller is beast. I was replying to a poster who claimed that only Subban and Eller are Playoffs beasts and I disagreed wholeheartedly.

Fact is, both aren't really good. Eller has better stats but in the end he isn't a Playoffs beast. And DD gets shutdown if he plays with Max Pac, too much attention and top pairing Ds, which are also a bunch of excuses. In the end, both were quite lackluster in last year's run. I don't want either of them playing a significant role, we're in dire need of an upgrade. I could see Eller playing with DD on our third line though.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He wouldn't be rushed. He'd be getting his feet wet. There's no better time to get him in the lineup than when the team is winning and scoring goals early in the season.

Then send him back down after 2 games unless he tears it up. This is for the long term. Habs need a 6'6 beast of a forward for next years playoffs. The sooner you get him in the lineup, the more comfortable you get with putting him in the post season. The more he plays in the playoffs this year, the better he'll be next year.

He's been playing C in the AHL and all of last year OHL, makes no sense to call him up and play him RW. Not when guys like Holloway, Carr Hudon Andrighetto also deserve a look...

Bergevillain

Aug 1, 2014
London, ON
A line with a center playing wing, a center in junior whos only played with in the NHL and is trying to be converted back to a center, and a winger in junior who was converted to center and started tearing it up back on wing

Lol I guess.

I just wan't to see the kid play and don't have time to watch Ice Caps games is all. :nod:

DCHabitant

Feb 24, 2013
Mitchell on the wing is interesting. Not ideal, just interesting.

I want to see Flash with Galchenyuk. Eller with DD looks like a much better fit to me.

Are you kidding? You want to break up the DD line to get Chucky's line to work. The team has 30 points. You don't break up what's working to fix what isn't.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Are you kidding? You want to break up the DD line to get Chucky's line to work. The team has 30 points. You don't break up what's working to fix what isn't.

At a certain point we should be more concerned about the lack of scoring on our second line. But as long as our second line is actually our third line, our third line is producing enough as a second line to make our second line our third.

:naughty:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
At a certain point we should be more concerned about the lack of scoring on our second line. But as long as our second line is actually our third line, our third line is producing enough as a second line to make our second line our third.

:naughty:

You've pretty much described the type of quagmire it is trying to put a number on MT's lines. Again on yesterday's scrum, a reporter tried to have MT get into the no. 2 vs. no. 3 line issue and as per usual, Bacon Mike evaded the question.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You've pretty much described the type of quagmire it is trying to put a number on MT's lines. Again on yesterday's scrum, a reporter tried to have MT get into the no. 2 vs. no. 3 line issue and as per usual, Bacon Mike evaded the question.

Can't really blame Therrien for refusing to officially name his lines. It's mostly meaningless considering how TOI has fluctuated between 2nd, 3rd and 4th all season. Galchenyuk's looking more confident and aggressive now, and his faceoffs are coming along very well, so I can see him, Eller and _____ getting more and more time as the season progresses. Likewise, as Desharnais' line hits an inevitable cold spell they'll be given less. Calling one line the "3rd" and the other the "4th" carries no status, as assignments shift from game to game.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can't really blame Therrien for refusing to officially name his lines. It's mostly meaningless considering how TOI has fluctuated between 2nd, 3rd and 4th all season. Galchenyuk's looking more confident and aggressive now, and his faceoffs are coming along very well, so I can see him, Eller and _____ getting more and more time as the season progresses. Likewise, as Desharnais' line hits an inevitable cold spell they'll be given less. Calling one line the "3rd" and the other the "4th" carries no status, as assignments shift from game to game.

No doubt, I understand MT has his reasons for not providing answers and that's all fair game. I just meant to underscore how often this keeps getting brought up.

This whole thing is also the direct result of DD's line featuring three players who are all playing at their usual positions.

As PJ Stock pointed out yesterday, Galchenyuk's line was doomed to fail given that Galchenyuk himself was transitioned from being a winger last year and then he's matched up with Eller who has been mostly used as a centre and not as a wing, and to top it all off, they both inherit Semin who "nobody wanted" and he who came off a lacklustre season last year.

Galchenyuk would have been better served by having linemates who are established wingers and who don't have Semin's inconsistency/ lack of performance/ lack of effort issues. However, DD's line is working and it will not be tinkered with. Galchenyuk's line is a mess that is squarely on Bergevin's lap -- the longer it is allowed to fester, the more Galchenyuk's play will suffer and who knows, may even spell Galchenyuk going back to being a winger.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
A line with a center playing wing, a center in junior whos only played wing in the NHL and is trying to be converted back to a center, and a winger in junior who was converted to center and started tearing it up as a center back on wing

I think it could be good. If any of the three can play wing or centre, they become just that much more unpredictable. It also implies better responsibility as a line, I think.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I'm watching some old Your Canadiens episodes and boy has time flew by.

Wow, that feels like ages ago. Price wasn't exactly popular among some fans in the fall of 2010, since the Habs had just traded Halak away that summer. There were plenty of doubters in the fanbase.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
That sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. If anything, you're the stat watcher as you bring up a bunch of reasons as to why Eller would need more of these stats in order to produce more stats.

You can't say in the same sentence that DD is terrible in the POs and that Eller is beast. I was replying to a poster who claimed that only Subban and Eller are Playoffs beasts and I disagreed wholeheartedly.

Fact is, both aren't really good. Eller has better stats but in the end he isn't a Playoffs beast. And DD gets shutdown if he plays with Max Pac, too much attention and top pairing Ds, which are also a bunch of excuses. In the end, both were quite lackluster in last year's run. I don't want either of them playing a significant role, we're in dire need of an upgrade. I could see Eller playing with DD on our third line though.
Wasn't Eller one of the leaders in playoff goals a couple of years ago?

P.S/ It's spelled philanthropic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad