What’s your max offer for Val Nichushkin?

What’s your max offer for Val Nichushkin?

• Total voters

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I like Palat but I dont like his age and what that next contract would look like. If we could get him on a 3 year deal in the 5-6M range I'd probably be down with that.

But I also dont want anything to do with Newhook as the 2C next year. The last year of Mack's 6.3M deal means for me its the last year where we are truly the top cup contender team in the league. I dont want to waste that year on the gamble that Newhook can handle 2C duties, especially considering I haven't seen anything yet this year that suggests he's ready for that role either.

Personally I want Trocheck in free agency or I want to trade for Miller/Horvat from Vancouver.

Depending on the Defense situation I also still think a Girard+ for Scheifele+ trade could happen in the summer. Especially if the rumors out of Winnipeg are true with him.
What are those rumors with WIN? What did I miss?

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Any hesitation to make a deal considering everything going on? How does that work if he gets stuck in Russia after the season and can't return? His wife I believe is currently in Moscow now.
Great player hope the political stage and war don't hamper this signing,

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think EJ's contract is the equivalent of Marvel's Blob. The league is still way too much in love with grizzled, experienced veterans, and big defensemen with big shots from the point. EJ is both. Someone will want that guy if the Avs offer him up. Not sure who, but someone.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I like Palat but I dont like his age and what that next contract would look like. If we could get him on a 3 year deal in the 5-6M range I'd probably be down with that.

But I also dont want anything to do with Newhook as the 2C next year. The last year of Mack's 6.3M deal means for me its the last year where we are truly the top cup contender team in the league. I dont want to waste that year on the gamble that Newhook can handle 2C duties, especially considering I haven't seen anything yet this year that suggests he's ready for that role either.

Personally I want Trocheck in free agency or I want to trade for Miller/Horvat from Vancouver.

Depending on the Defense situation I also still think a Girard+ for Scheifele+ trade could happen in the summer. Especially if the rumors out of Winnipeg are true with him.
I think they'll probably address second line center this summer but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world of Newhook started the year as #2C... and then you go from there and see how it goes and you address it if you need to during the season. He's going to have a full NHL season under his belt plus a playoff run which should do wonders for his development.

I could see the Avs making a play for Horvat and then resigning him long-term but fans won't like that price.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Changing vote from 5 to 6.

His best comparable is probably Zach Hyman, and he makes 5.5. While Hyman has had better production, Nuke has really shown that he can be a top 6 forward this year. While you would like to pay less, you absolutely go up to 6 million with term to keep him here.

With inflation being what it is the cap will have to substantially rise even if revenues aren't really going up.

I see it as:

Keep: Nuke, Sturm, Lek
Let walk: Kadri, Bura, Manson

And then swallow hard and cringe while handing Kuemper a fat contract.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Keep: Nuke, Sturm, Lek
Let walk: Kadri, Bura, Manson

This is my preferred off-season, with the exception of swapping Manson for Kuemper. While I love Kuemper, Manson brings a physical element to our D core that is needed with Makar, Toews, Byram in the top 4. I also hesitate to give goaltenders long term contracts in their 30's. Plus you can save money by paying Manson as opposed to giving Kuemper the big bucks.

KEEP NUKE AT ALL COST!!

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
So I went back to the TC thread where Nichushkin was listed as a PTO. There was a poll of fans most interested to see players at TC. Only 7 Avs fan voted for Nichushkin. The only regular who voted for him that I recognized was @RoyIsALegend. Well done RIAL. Kudos on the call. FTR, that was 3 less votes than Rosen received.

• Love
Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So I went back to the TC thread where Nichushkin was listed as a PTO. There was a poll of fans most interested to see players at TC. Only 7 Avs fan voted for Nichushkin. The only regular who voted for him that I recognized was @RoyIsALegend. Well done RIAL. Kudos on the call. FTR, that was 3 less votes than Rosen received.

We don’t talk about that thread bro. No idea what you’re referring to. I definitely didn’t have any posts in that non-existent thread. 🤫

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'm on board with paying him whatever is necessary. I don't think he'll demand it, but look at the $7 million players around the league and tell me Val isn't better than most of them

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I doubt it happens, but it would be amazing if Landy really set a sentiment around this team last summer taking way less then he could have, to try and keep as much of this core together as possible, and we start seeing guys follow suit starting with Val this summer.

Because ultimately with how amazing Nuke is, its kind of hard to justify him getting more then 6 when Landy is only making 7 himself. Even though the reality is Landy is deserving of like 9 while Nuke could easily be worth 7.5.

I'm going to hold out hope that Val enjoys being here, and will hold appreciation for the Avs giving him that contract back in 2019 and completely rejuvenating his career, and he follows suit in the captains footsteps with a team friendly contract. Something like 6x5.5M is still a $33M payment for a guy that 3 years ago was on his way out of the league. Give him NTC as well.

It's unlikely he takes that discount, but I'm afraid he's pricing himself out of Denver with the year he's having now. He should hit 50+ points in less then 65 games while being absolutely elite at pretty much everything else on the ice as well. Other teams analytical departments are going to be pounding table to get Nuke signed as a UFA at whatever cost because he's that good.

Reactions: The Moops

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Landeskog, Makar, and Rantanen definitely took less, but those guys were all home-grown Avs. Hard to know if Nichushkin will do the same.

He is the number one player I want to retain this off-season though. He just fits this team perfectly and has established himself as a clear top-6 forward. I think you have to consider going 8 years if it keeps the AAV down a bit.

Reactions: The Moops

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Landeskog, Makar, and Rantanen definitely took less, but those guys were all home-grown Avs. Hard to know if Nichushkin will do the same.

He is the number one player I want to retain this off-season though. He just fits this team perfectly and has established himself as a clear top-6 forward. I think you have to consider going 8 years if it keeps the AAV down a bit.
Time for Nichushkin to break out and shine big time in the POs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad