What’s your all time power play unit

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Lemieux - Esposito/Beliveau - Richard/Howe
Potvin/Harvey - Orr

or something like that

Lemieux and Orr are the locks.

edit: on second thoughts TDMM is right and I'd put the right-handed triggerman beside Orr, so MacInnis.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The easy choices are Mario Lemieux up front and Bobby Orr on the blueline. Best PP forward and best PP defenseman of all-time

Net front presence = Phil Esposito or Jean Beliveau

RH shot to play the point next to Orr = Al MacInnis or Bernie Geoffrion

So that leaves a spot for one other forward - I think I'll pick Gordie Howe for his overall offensive game and work along the boards. Peak Dickie Moore is pretty tempting though...

Actually, I had a thought:

Here we go:

PP1:

Mario Lemieux - Phil Esposito - Gordie Howe
Al MacInnis - Bobby Orr

PP2:

Dickie Moore - Jean Beliveau - Maurice Richard
Bernie Geoffrion - Doug Harvey

Seems weird not to have Gretzky, but I think the guys on PP1 are just so good for their roles. As for PP2, it's a "why mess with what works?" thing. Ovechkin should probably fit in somewhere too.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I thought about MacInnis too, you're right that he would fit perfectly there.I like your combos.

The 1st wave is so brutal it's not funny.That unit would score at a 80% success rate.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
The easy choices are Mario Lemieux up front and Bobby Orr on the blueline. Best PP forward and best PP defenseman of all-time

Net front presence = Phil Esposito or Jean Beliveau

RH shot to play the point next to Orr = Al MacInnis or Bernie Geoffrion

So that leaves a spot for one other forward - I think I'll pick Gordie Howe for his overall offensive game and work along the boards. Peak Dickie Moore is pretty tempting though...

Actually, I had a thought:

Here we go:

PP1:

Mario Lemieux - Phil Esposito - Gordie Howe
Al MacInnis - Bobby Orr

PP2:

Dickie Moore - Jean Beliveau - Maurice Richard
Bernie Geoffrion - Doug Harvey

Seems weird not to have Gretzky, but I think the guys on PP1 are just so good for their roles. As for PP2, it's a "why mess with what works?" thing. Ovechkin should probably fit in somewhere too.

1957-60 Canadiens #1 PP unit.

Reactions: StDevs

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Lemieux and Gretzky should be obvious. Why would anyone not have both? They already did damage together at Canada Cup '87 against one of the best teams of all time. Now, imagine them against a crappy NHL team....

For the third forward, I think I would lean towards the strong-as-nails-with-scoring-touch type, not necessarily another star. So, maybe the Tim Kerr nomination is good, or the Esa Tikkanen type, or the Dino Ciccarrelli type (but ideally bigger). One of those sorts. If that kind of player just goes to the front of the net, a D-man has to take him out, which leaves a 4-on-3 while Gretzky and Lemieux control the puck.

On D, Bourque and Orr is fine.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
USSR also scored 3 shorthanded goals (Svetlov, Makarov, Krutov) vs Gretzky and Lemieux with Messier, plus Bourque and Coffey on defense in 4 games at the 1987 Canada Cup. Just saying. Of course that PP unit scored a few goals on USSR too.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Can't believe it took 7 posts to have both Gretzky and Lemieux together lol.

Understandably, some people don't like the easy solution. I guess it's more fun to try to "coach" in some sort of chemistry. How about an all-time power play unit composed of non-Canadians where every player has to be from a different country?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Lemieux - Espo - Ovechkin

Orr - Bourque

Bourque and Orr QB'ing, Lemieux controlling play below the dots, Ovechkin bombing 1 timers and Espo camped in the slot

Reactions: HF007

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Wayne Gretzky
Tim Kerr
Brett Hull (off wing)

Bobby Orr
Ray Bourque

Gretzky on the wing (soley so he can move to the back of the net during the power play)
Esposito at Centre (owns the slot, guaranteed goal)
Lemieux on the other wing (because he's the best forward who ever lived)

Orr on one point (cuz he's the best player who ever lived)
Bobby Hull on the other point (hardest shot by the best pure goal scorer ever).

Players like Bossy would be on the second unit, but there's no point naming them because they would never be required. The first power play unit would score at a 100 per cent rate, probably within the first 45 seconds of each power play.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Statistically, Gretzky was no better on the PP than Phil Esposito and I like Esposito's role there, plus unlike Gretzky amd Lemieux, Espo was great at faceoffs.

In what way was Esposito better (or as good) as Gretzky on the powerplay? Would be curious to see some stats.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
PP goals:

Esposito - 246...led the league 5x
Gretzky - 204...led the league 1x

Yes powerplay goals are the only metric i was able to easily find...but what about points?

In this all-time unit, Gretzky would certainly not be the finisher, but the playmaker. And he is the best playmaker of all time. I have to assume he's your best weapon for setting up goals - and i expect most of his career he set up more goals than he scored on the power play.

I know in all the Lemieux/Gretzky debates i've seen, it's always brought up how Lemieux had more points on the powerplay, but then people always say Gretzky had less opportunities, but % wise they were close.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Yes powerplay goals are the only metric i was able to easily find...but what about points?

In this all-time unit, Gretzky would certainly not be the finisher, but the playmaker. And he is the best playmaker of all time. I have to assume he's your best weapon for setting up goals - and i expect most of his career he set up more goals than he scored on the power play.

I know in all the Lemieux/Gretzky debates i've seen, it's always brought up how Lemieux had more points on the powerplay, but then people always say Gretzky had less opportunities, but % wise they were close.

Dont forget, Espo was never going to get assists like Gretzky did on the PP. Espo had Orr setting the table, he was the finisher.

With Lemieux, Orr and Bourque you have 3 of the best PP playmakers of all time, you need all time finishers for them to pass to. Which is why I took Espo and Ovechkin as the other 2 forwards.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Lemieux-Crosby-Jagr-Malkin
Orr

-If the Penguins have the best powerplay going all the way back to 1990 this past year, and swap Phil Kessel with Lemieux and Schultz with Orr, this powerplay would be dam near unstoppable.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Dont forget, Espo was never going to get assists like Gretzky did on the PP. Espo had Orr setting the table, he was the finisher.

With Lemieux, Orr and Bourque you have 3 of the best PP playmakers of all time, you need all time finishers for them to pass to. Which is why I took Espo and Ovechkin as the other 2 forwards.

Wayne Gretzky is simply much better at offense in hockey than Esposito was. I don't pick Esposito over Gretzky. It's as simple as that really.

You make some good points about Esposito (faceoffs, etc). Maybe add him to the unit too. But not at Gretzky's expense. Gretzky/Lemieux are top 2 choices imo - with Orr on the backend. Other 2 spots are open.

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Lemieux and Gretzky should be obvious. Why would anyone not have both? They already did damage together at Canada Cup '87 against one of the best teams of all time. Now, imagine them against a crappy NHL team .... For the third forward, .... On D, Bourque and Orr is fine.
Agreed, except I'd take Gordie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad