What’s your all time power play unit

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Let’s not forget that the early 80’s Gretzky,Coffey power play was so lethal the nhl had to change the rules cause the oilers were destroying teams at 4 on 4.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Let’s not forget that the early 80’s Gretzky,Coffey power play was so lethal the nhl had to change the rules cause the oilers were destroying teams at 4 on 4.
4 on 4 isn't the power play.

50s Canadiens is the power play that forced the NHL to change the rules

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Wayne Gretzky is simply much better at offense in hockey than Esposito was. I don't pick Esposito over Gretzky. It's as simple as that really.

You make some good points about Esposito (faceoffs, etc). Maybe add him to the unit too. But not at Gretzky's expense. Gretzky/Lemieux are top 2 choices imo - with Orr on the backend. Other 2 spots are open.

If Gordie Howe never existed, I would have gone Gretzky-Esposito-Lemieux. But I was just so tempted by Howe's boardwalk...

Maybe there's room for Gretzky next to Orr on the point, but Orr usually played next to a RH-shot on the PP IRL

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
4 on 4 isn't the power play.

50s Canadiens is the power play that forced the NHL to change the rules

I know that

What happened was the oilers were instigatingating offsetting minor and major penalties to have that 4 on 4 advantage, the NHL stepped in and changed to 5 on 5 for offsetting penalties

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Mario, Wayne, Brett Hull
Orr, MacInnis

Maybe Coffey in there too, I don't know. I just thought a booming shot from the blue line (a one-timer) would help. Hull is the booming shot on the left side, although that was usually Lemieux's place too. Maybe Mario can move around a bit.

Honourable mention Phil Esposito. I don't know who he replaces but he'll stand in front of the net and he has the sweet hands to bury it in a hurry.

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
Lindros, Wayne, Bure
Orr, Scott Stevens

A playmaker, a bruiser and a rocket. Orr can do it all and Scott Stevens puts fear into attackers :)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
If Gordie Howe never existed, I would have gone Gretzky-Esposito-Lemieux. But I was just so tempted by Howe's boardwalk...

Maybe there's room for Gretzky next to Orr on the point, but Orr usually played next to a RH-shot on the PP IRL

i see what you mean about the traditional pp unit, with the corner/boards/puck retrieval guy, mario directing traffic from the side and keeping defenders honest with the threat of his wrist shot, orr doing likewise from the point, espo dominating in front, and chopper as the nuclear option.

but realistically, if you have gretzky, orr, and mario playing keep away, with espo taking the draws, do you really need someone to retrieve the puck?

(i guess by the same token if you have orr and mario playing keep away, with howe there too, do you really need gretzky? but man i'd like to see those three show me something new even more than seeing your five do the traditional pp as perfectly as it can be done.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad