Speculation: What’ll it cost for Vegas to move Clarkson’s contract?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Doesn't matter how it turned out, that's the price to pay to get rid of an horrible contract

It does matter to the team that loses a Cody Glass just to get rid of a contract.

According to Capfriendly, Vegas will be 2,875,000 over the cap next year if absolutely nothing changes.
They can move Reaves and Merrill and bring in replacements at league minimum without giving up one of the best prospects in the league. And that's just off the top of my head.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Montreal starts the bidding with:

LV:
Habs 6th round pick 2019

MTL:
Vegas 2019 3rd rd pick
Pittsburg 2020 2nd rd pick
Clarkson

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Maybe after the signing bonus is paid. Can't see the Sens paying 3,250,000 for nothing.
Yeah it would most likely be after the signing bonus. And since Clarkson's contract is insured while he's on LTIR, Ottawa basically pays no salary for a 5M cap hit. If anything I could see them paying an asset to get that contract.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Yeah it would most likely be after the signing bonus. And since Clarkson's contract is insured while he's on LTIR, Ottawa basically pays no salary for a 5M cap hit. If anything I could see them paying an asset to get that contract.
There was some speculation/rumors that Ottawa would get Clarkson's contract after the SB was paid as part of the Stone trade, too.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Good point, I wasnt thinking it all the way thru

That said, are the Knights not in danger of exceeding that?

Karlsson @6-6.5mil...
Gusev must be getting at least 3mil...
That puts them at 12f, 6d, 1g... so lets be conservative and say they add another 1.5mil

That brings them to at least 92.75mil, which is more than 10% above the cap

I could see Clarkson + 2nd to Ottawa for a 4th or 5th or cheap 22-24 yr old, or Clarkson + 3rd for Condon or something like that. Dont think it will break the bank but getting rid of Clarkson gives them flexibility to ice the strongest possible roster. Even if they clear Eakins and Haula, they still need to clear more and they dont have the opportunity to upgrade anywhere (personally I think they could use a better backup)

As an Oiler fan I would like to get Haula from you guys . Not sure his cap ....too lazy to look and too busy getting my convertible up and running for the summer

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I disagree.
Or what I mean to say is it definitely will be expensive, not cheap.

There is no biz reason, short of somebody banking a favor for a later date, to take on $ for cheap, not in a cap driven league.

Also...
as to cap floor, a team is better offer taking live assets as opposed to deadweight, unless there is a significant enuf bonus to choose the deadweight.

and on a big cap hit, which is structurally inflexible, all things being otherwise equal, it is preferable to have more options by taking 2 or 3 cheaper guys than 1 guy at huge salary.
I disagree.

1) Of course there is a biz reason for the price to not be too much. Team A can afford the hit and gets a 2nd or 3rd rd pick. A 2nd or 3rd rd pick is an asset. They've gotten something.

2) Wrong about live asset and deadweight. Clarkson's actual salary is less than his cap hit. For a cap floor team it allows them to reach the floor while actually spending real $ below the floor. We've seen this done many times, including with Clarkson himself.

If Clarkson gets dealt i won' be with a 1st rd pick or prospect of that value. Bet on it.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Depends on the cash owed. From what we have seen guys like Bolland and Hossa has 80% of their contract covered by insurance.

I believe his contract is insured.

Details show that he’s due a SB of 2.25 mill. If Vegas pays that he’s only on the books for $1 million. So cash out is $200K plus insurance premiums I guess.

Draft pick should be enough.

$200K in actual dollars with a $5.25M cap hit. I always thought it would make sense for both teams if VGK packaged the Clarkson contract with one of Haula/Eakin and traded it to Ottawa for a mid-round pick. They don't appear to be too deep at Center, and both Eakin/Haula have one year left before UFA to give the Sens flexibility.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I am interested in reasonable package for both sides, but if Clarkson to Rangers, Smith must go to LV. Obviously this is not 1:1 but some combo deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad