Speculation: What’ll it cost for Vegas to move Clarkson’s contract?

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
It may only be one more year and he’s going on LTIR once the season starts, but Vegas have to sign some players this offseason (including W. Karlsson) and don’t have much room to manoeuvre.

What’s an acceptable add to Clarkson to get his hit off the books? Hague? Glass? The 17th OA pick in 2019?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It may only be one more year and he’s going on LTIR once the season starts, but Vegas have to sign some players this offseason (including W. Karlsson) and don’t have much room to manoeuvre.

What’s an acceptable add to Clarkson to get his hit off the books? Hague? Glass? The 17th OA pick in 2019?

I doubt they have to give up that much. A 2nd or 3rd round pick maybe?

Reactions: Devonator

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If Clarkson can be put on LTIR and his salary can be replaced, why would they have any incentive to try to deal him...let alone for a 1st round pick or top prospect?

LTIR doesnt exactly work that way, if I understand it correctly. Currently, Vegas has 82.375m committed to the cap for next yr and they need to sign Karlsson + Gusev, Engelland, Schuldt, Pirri, Carpenter,, Bellemare, and Nosek. Obviously not all of those guys need to be signed and most wont break the bank, but they all have to be considered

With LTIR, you cannot exceed the cap pre-LTIR... you can only exceed it after. So if VGK is 200k under the cap, they can put Clarkson on LTIR and exceed the cap by the amount of his salary. What they cant do is be 4mil over the cap and put him on LTIR and be fine.

Maybe I understand it wrong but that is my interpreteation

Anyways, I definitely agree that the price being specified is way too high. I could see a 2nd and a fringe/unestablished player or something like that but thats about it.

Reactions: Agalloch and Booba

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Yeah - 17th OA is too much.

The uninsured $$ is just over $1m - correct?

I’d speculate a swap of first rounders might do it...

- First round pick from 18-31, plus
- Player with cap hit close to the $1.075m who can be buried (to balance out the actual $$$)

For

- 17OA
- Additional pick (subject how high the other first rounder is)

In an Ottawa scenario that might be Columbus’s pick plus Condon 50% retained... which saves Ottawa roughly $400k in real dollars... but Columbus are still playing so it is not known yet where that pick will be (could be as high as 19 or as low as 31)

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

For 1 year it wouldn't cost anything like those assets.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
LTIR doesnt exactly work that way, if I understand it correctly. Currently, Vegas has 82.375m committed to the cap for next yr and they need to sign Karlsson + Gusev, Engelland, Schuldt, Pirri, Carpenter,, Bellemare, and Nosek. Obviously not all of those guys need to be signed and most wont break the bank, but they all have to be considered

With LTIR, you cannot exceed the cap pre-LTIR... you can only exceed it after. So if VGK is 200k under the cap, they can put Clarkson on LTIR and exceed the cap by the amount of his salary. What they cant do is be 4mil over the cap and put him on LTIR and be fine.

Anyways, I definitely agree that the price being specified is way too high. I could see a 2nd and a fringe/unestablished player or something like that but thats about it.

It's not exactly as simple as this.

They are allowed to be over the floor during the summer by about $8m (10% of ceiling). LTIR can be used in the offseason and lots of sources will explain it.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Thanks for explanation - makes sense. Looking at the Vegas cap situation, yeah they may have some trouble getting under the cap to start the season. Surely when they took on that Clarkson contract, they could not have imagined being a cap team so quickly - having that early success and then adding players like Stone and Stastny.

I guess part of the cost for Vegas would depend on how much of Clarkson's $3.25MM salary the acquiring team would have to pay - especially since $2.25MM is in signing bonus. I don't see why Clarkson wouldn't waive his NTC unless there is a huge discrepancy in taxes between the teams that would cost him money.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

They are allowed to be over the floor during the summer by about $8m (10% of ceiling). LTIR can be used in the offseason and lots of sources will explain it.

Yeah, it can be used in the offseason, but they'll still need to submit a roster (including Clarkson's salary) at the beginning of the season that is under the cap. They can "bury" some players salaries in the minors on a paper transaction ahead of that - though this would only really work with players that don't have to pass through waivers and their salaries are usually rather low.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yeah, it can be used in the offseason, but they'll still need to submit a roster (including Clarkson's salary) at the beginning of the season that is under the cap. They can "bury" some players salaries in the minors on a paper transaction ahead of that - though this would only really work with players that don't have to pass through waivers and their salaries are usually rather low.
No.

This is a common misconception but isn't true. They can place Clarkson on LTIR before the seasons starts. There are reasons to do it AND reasons NOT to do it (it has other cap implications).

The reason teams do the paper transactions is that if they are as close to the cap without going over it gives them more room over the cap they can go.

However, if they have too much cap before the start of the season, while they can still place on LTIR, it reduces their cap for the year (effectively).

It's not the most desirable way to deal with the cap but it can certainly be done (and has).

Quote from Bill Daly:
That something is apparently that the Leafs can — and likely already have — use long-term injured reserve space in the summer.
That goes against what we’ve believed possible previously, but NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed to The Athletic on Tuesday afternoon that it was allowed.
“Yes, they can,” Daly said when asked if teams were permitted to access additional cap room in this fashion long before the season started. “Same as in-season.”

Link: Toronto Maple Leafs: Clarifying Connor Brown’s contract and salary cap situation

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
They're probably going to have to get rid of Eakin and Haula.

I see Haula to Carolina and Eakin to Philadelphia. Probably for draft picks.

Also to save some cap room they'll probably hand rookies a roster spot. Glass, Hague, etc.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think Edmonton trades prospects for Colin Miller this summer. I don't see there being an overwhelming need to shed Clarkson's cap. If they can get to the ceiling before game 1, it can be used to maximize their LTIR flexibility during the year.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL

But if you’re not under the cap on opening day, you don’t get cap relief for deadline deals or bonuses.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Lol. I don't think a team has ever traded pieces that valuable to get out of a contract that ends in one year.

Reactions: Pia8988

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I would do Clarkson, Haula, and LV 1st for Kuokkanen and Buffalo’s 2nd. A small add if needed.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
This is such an ideal contract for the Senators that I'd expect them to be willing to vastly undercut the market and take it on for almost nothing in return.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Apr 9, 2009
USA
There is one year left, it's not nearly as bad of a contract as it used to be at this point. No way in hell they move anything of any real value with it.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

You can LTIR a player in the summer. Clarksons contract is not a problem for Vegas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad