WHA offers Crosby 7.5 million (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Apparently the contract would pay Crosby 2 million even if the WHA doesn't get off the ground. But it is a 3 year deal, so I wonder if he is able to opt out after one year and go to the NHL?

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Tuggy said:
I wonder if he is able to opt out after one year and go to the NHL?

I doubt it.

I'd love to see how this contract is written up. I'd be shocked if it allowed him to opt out of anything.

Edit: Never mind, I thought for a second that they were offering 7.5 mil a year. Now that I know the per-year amounts it's more likely that there could be an opt out option, but I'd think the WHA would want to avoid that if possible.

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Spetzky said:
...I wish I were Sid

except really good looking

:lol:

$2.5 mil for a 17 year old, I think this may be hard for Crosby to turn down. The way I would look at it, Crosby is going to be paid under a new NHL CBA, one that is almost certainly going to be a negative one for first year players, so it is highly doubtful he'd make even close to $2.5 mil per in any of his first 3 seasons anyway. So, if he felt that the WHA could be a good league to perfect his skills, later to go on to the NHL at the age of 20, still very young, then this could be a very good situation for Crosby to be in. Worst case scenario, or I guess best case scenario, the WHA falters and doesn't even make it through one year. Crosby gets paid at least $2 mil, and can enter the NHL at the age of 18. If I was Crosby, I'd take this deal and run, or possibly ask for even more money! :eek:

FlyersProspect2

Jun 14, 2004
Chicopee, Ma
Its hard to pass up, but I'd pass on it. There's a chance of getting injured before even getting into the NHL. Even with the lock out, and the WHA opening up again, the NHL is still the best and the reason why people play hockey. Crosby should stay with his junior team one more year and then be drafted in the NHL Draft.

aj

Mar 19, 2004
London, England
You mean that "We'll play in SkyDome" idea didn't work out?
What a shock! :shakehead

They should still have his rights, though, shouldn't they? Surely the WHA has some concept of "rights". :dunno:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't think it would be that hard to turn down. He'll be making plenty of money soon anyways, and he's said his ultimate goal is to be in the NHL. Why would he go somewhere else?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
FlyersProspect2 said:
Its hard to pass up, but I'd pass on it. There's a chance of getting injured before even getting into the NHL.
Exactly. So he'd better take that guaranteed 2 million just in case he has to live off of that for the rest of his life.

To me, this decision would be a no-brainer (as long as there's an out-clause once he's drafted by an NHL team). There were already complaints this past season (not from Crosby, but from his coach) about dirty tactics other teams were deploying against Crosby. In the WHA he's no longer the whole team but more or less just one of the guys.

Skylab

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatoon
Visit site
FlyersProspect2 said:
Its hard to pass up, but I'd pass on it. There's a chance of getting injured before even getting into the NHL. Even with the lock out, and the WHA opening up again, the NHL is still the best and the reason why people play hockey. Crosby should stay with his junior team one more year and then be drafted in the NHL Draft.

If considering injuries then I think logic would dictate that he take this offer. It's highly doubtful that the new CBA lets him approach $2.5 million a year in the NHL, so why not take the money, given as you say his career could conceivably be shut down at any point.
If considering money, we should also look at marketing potential and endoresement income. If he signs with the WHA and they really push him as the league's big name, then the potential exists for him to make additional $. I'm not sure how that would compare to his endorsement potential if he stays in the Q and joins the NHL in a year...

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Ah..the WHA...only in the WHA....

I wish that the NHL worked like that, then the Oilers could offer contracts to Phaneuf and Parise and Coburn and Lehtonen.

:shakehead

If these guys took 4 or 5 half assed posters from HFBoards, they would have a league run 10 times better than what they have now. This league is such a big joke that it makes we want to defenstrate myself.

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
To me, this decision would be a no-brainer (as long as there's an out-clause once he's drafted by an NHL team). There were already complaints this past season (not from Crosby, but from his coach) about dirty tactics other teams were deploying against Crosby. In the WHA he's no longer the whole team but more or less just one of the guys.

That's hardly the case. He'll be a 17 year old kid making over 2M a year, more than almost everyone else playing in the league. He'll certainly have a nice big target on his back if he would accept (not that I believe teh WHA will get off the ground anyway).

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If this is true, the NHLPA should tell him to jump at it. It gives them a better starting point on entry level salaries and forces the owners to realize there is another North American option out there with real cash behind it....... Maybe the owners will soften their stance a little and work out a deal with a luxury tax or higher cap just so the WHA can't gain much more momemtum.......

Or something. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad