WHA offers Crosby 7.5 million (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Personally I find this dubious, as much of a joke the WHA is... surely their entry draft meant something?
If teams don't even have the rights to the players they drafted anymore then the WHA has degraded further then I suspected.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
ej_pens said:
That's hardly the case. He'll be a 17 year old kid making over 2M a year, more than almost everyone else playing in the league. He'll certainly have a nice big target on his back if he would accept (not that I believe teh WHA will get off the ground anyway).
I don't think he would have a target on his back just because he makes a lot of money. He'd still be a boy playing in a men's league.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Peter Griffin said:
:lol:

$2.5 mil for a 17 year old, I think this may be hard for Crosby to turn down. The way I would look at it, Crosby is going to be paid under a new NHL CBA, one that is almost certainly going to be a negative one for first year players, so it is highly doubtful he'd make even close to $2.5 mil per in any of his first 3 seasons anyway. So, if he felt that the WHA could be a good league to perfect his skills, later to go on to the NHL at the age of 20, still very young, then this could be a very good situation for Crosby to be in. Worst case scenario, or I guess best case scenario, the WHA falters and doesn't even make it through one year. Crosby gets paid at least $2 mil, and can enter the NHL at the age of 18. If I was Crosby, I'd take this deal and run, or possibly ask for even more money! :eek:

Guaranteed $2 million. Who wouldn't take that deal? If they put the $2 million in his bank account as soon as he signs the deal, he's set for life. Who wouldn't?????
??????

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
FlyersProspect2 said:
There's a chance of getting injured before even getting into the NHL.

Exactly, so sign the deal and you are set for a long comfortable life - no matter what happens.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Zednik said:
The league will never start... So I would sign and then take the $2 millions...

Exactly... Even if the league won't start, you get the money so sign the deal!!

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
HABitual said:
I thought this new WHL would pay players a lower salary than the NHL. I thought wrong.

They have $5 mil set away for one marque player. $10 mil for the rest.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Benji Frank said:
If this is true, the NHLPA should tell him to jump at it. It gives them a better starting point on entry level salaries and forces the owners to realize there is another North American option out there with real cash behind it....... Maybe the owners will soften their stance a little and work out a deal with a luxury tax or higher cap just so the WHA can't gain much more momemtum.......

Or something. :dunno:

More good reasons for Sid to sign.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
aj said:
Why is the Hamilton franchise offering him a contract if he was drafted by the Toronto one?

Who knows how they are going to work things. It will probably be a free for all. I don't think the league cares as long as some WHA team signs him.

GoPenguins

Mar 29, 2003
Albany, NY
Visit site
Licentia with 8 posts in a row. And they are not all him just talking to himself. :)

Is that a HF Boards record? :)

I was under the impression the WHA was going to be a well organized league but with what I have seen, it seems to be being run by kindergarten kids.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
GoPenguins said:
Licentia with 8 posts in a row. And they are not all him just talking to himself. :)

Is that a HF Boards record? :)

I was under the impression the WHA was going to be a well organized league but with what I have seen, it seems to be being run by kindergarten kids.

I'm at work and bored. If this was the Montreal Canadiens area at hfboards, then that wouldn't happen. The WHA forum is pretty dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad