WHA coming to a town near you in 05-06

Status
Not open for further replies.

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
Can't wait till the WHA becomes the official hockey league of North America. There going to have a great pool of players to choose from, the best in the world. Goodenow will deliver them on a plate so long as the league cooperates writing the CBA.

Who knows, they might even be able to get the cup. The NHL doesn't really own it anyway.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
K215215 said:
Can't wait till the WHA becomes the official hockey league of North America. There going to have a great pool of players to choose from, the best in the world. Goodenow will deliver them on a plate so long as the league cooperates writing the CBA.

Who knows, they might even be able to get the cup. The NHL doesn't really own it anyway.

:lol :lol:

Why didn't they start the league this year like they were planning on? :shakehead

Last edited:

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
They didnt have the leverage this summer that they have now.

If Goodenow wants to start a new league, that would be the place no?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
K215215 said:
They didnt have the leverage this summer that they have now.

If Goodenow wants to start a new league, that would be the place no?

and you've seen the polls up in Canada have you? ... you're grasping for straws and hoping against all hope that the NHL would allow that kind of second rate league to start WITH a SALARY CAP

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I have strong doubts the WHA will ever see light, even with their new ownership structure.

Their website is outdated, and the last entry stated they would announce their intentions at the end of November.

SENSible1*

Too funny.

Yup start it up this summer, we'll see how that turns out. :lol

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
Laugh all you want, theres more a chance WHA hockey is played in the next 2 years than there is NHL hockey being played.

SENSible1*

K215215 said:
Laugh all you want, theres more a chance WHA hockey is played in the next 2 years than there is NHL hockey being played.

Care to make a wager on which league is around in 3 years?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
K215215 said:

Ask yourself

what rinks they'll have: The newest ones with the most seats and the best luxury boxes are taken.

they'll have to charge less for tickets

they'll have less fan interest, fans won't flock to see teams they know probably won't exist in the near future.

they'll get less TV revenues

So how much do you think they'll make, $400K-500K per player or $1.8m per player? I'd say $400-500K would be generous. That'll teach the NHL to offer them $1.3m. :lol

Maybe but if I recall correctly the trustees are good ol'NHL lackeys. If it goes back to the trustees to decide well good luck.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
K215215 said:

There is more chance the players will make twice as much money in a capped NHL than in an uncapped WHA.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
If anyone believes this, they have some serious problems. I bet the owners get a hard cap before one WHA teams plays a game with an NHL player.

HMM, if I'm a player, do I accept a hard cap, have my job and my 1.4 million dollar average salary. OR, do I join the WHA, make substantially less money, while 400 members of my union are still unemployed because the WHA has a whopping 8 teams.

You're living in a dreamworld if you think this will happen. Just like I predicted before, the WHA will never play a game, and I still stand 100% behind my prediction.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
kerrly said:
If anyone believes this, they have some serious problems. I bet the owners get a hard cap before one WHA teams plays a game with an NHL player.

HMM, if I'm a player, do I accept a hard cap, have my job and my 1.4 million dollar average salary. OR, do I join the WHA, make substantially less money, while 400 members of my union are still unemployed because the WHA has a whopping 8 teams.

You're living in a dreamworld if you think this will happen. Just like I predicted before, the WHA will never play a game, and I still stand 100% behind my prediction.

while i agree with the premise that its stupid to play in the WHA just to spite the NHL, however you have to wonder if the players would rather give up millions and tell the current NHL owners to shove it.

as silly as most of us think that would be, im willing to suggest the owners will have agitated the players enough with their tactics that it might happen.

dr

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
DementedReality said:
while i agree with the premise that its stupid to play in the WHA just to spite the NHL, however you have to wonder if the players would rather give up millions and tell the current NHL owners to shove it.

as silly as most of us think that would be, im willing to suggest the owners will have agitated the players enough with their tactics that it might happen.

dr

What about the hundreds of players who don't have the benefit of being superskilled. What happens to them. As of right now I don't think they have much of a voice within the union, but I guarantee if their jobs were on the line, they would be the voice heard loud and clear, rather than the Prongers of the league.

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
kerrly said:
What about the hundreds of players who don't have the benefit of being superskilled. What happens to them. As of right now I don't think they have much of a voice within the union, but I guarantee if their jobs were on the line, they would be the voice heard loud and clear, rather than the Prongers of the league.

The most skilled players going to the 6-8 WHA teams would open up alot of jobs overseas.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
K215215 said:
The most skilled players going to the 6-8 WHA teams would open up alot of jobs overseas.

So now the best players are playing in the WHA for a 1/4 to 1/3 of what they could get from the the NHL while the lesser players are playing in Europe for 1/5 to 1/10 of what they could get in the NHL. :lol

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Replacement Owners.

IF theres a void, there'll be entrepreneurs. But it will be hard. Fans in NA wil still be angry.

Perhaps IMG could rent a couple arenaplexes. If they could find a way to keep the old NHL teams as a starting point, they could have all the games televised while teams find arena deals and homes. THe Pittsburgh study showed how they could put up these new pre-fab type arenas quickly and cheaply. Getting the playing going, with similar teams, and standings in the paper, and on something like a new Centre Ice TV, is a good start. Bides time. They could develop a new Major Hockey League. Especially if they are the only one playing and have all the names hockey fans know.

It would be a new business venture that wouild suffer startup costs, the players wouldnt make much money in the beginning, but like small businessmen, they would be looking to grow the business that they and their agents own.

Or they could have a year long World Cup League, and play the playoffs for the world cup. Canada would have several teams.

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
me2 said:
So now the best players are playing in the WHA for a 1/4 to 1/3 of what they could get from the the NHL while the lesser players are playing in Europe for 1/5 to 1/10 of what they could get in the NHL. :lol

Thats more realistic than the players sitting out for 2 years and then eventually cracking and crossing a picket line.

Brent Burns Beard