WHA coming to a town near you in 05-06

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The Iconoclast said:
I bet you 90% of this site couldn't tell you who Derek Sanderson was and what he was most famous for.

I'm trying to decide what you think the correct answer is. The mustache, the women, the drinking, or the fact he played with Orr etc? :)

And I'd love to see all the players playing for 50 grand in the WHA, just to avoid a cap that would stop a few of them from making 10 million. The sheer stupidity of it would at least bring some joy to this.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
K215215 said:
Can't wait till the WHA becomes the official hockey league of North America. There going to have a great pool of players to choose from, the best in the world. Goodenow will deliver them on a plate so long as the league cooperates writing the CBA.

Who knows, they might even be able to get the cup. The NHL doesn't really own it anyway.

Don't hold your breath..........

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
me2 said:
Nah, I think he should.

One day, when you grow up and move out of your parents basement, youll pick up a textbook or two, and then read a couple of newspapers, and you'll get an entire new perspective on things.

And youll feel like a complete a**, because you bought everything a bunch of billionaires and curupt corporations fed you about what was once your favorite sport.

chiavsfan

Still is my favorite sport...and YES there are other outlets for me to see my favorite sport. But the WHA will NOT take over the NHL, ever.

Just to cite an example...do you remember the XFL? The "real, hard-nosed football." "The alternative to the NFL."

HUGE ratings in week one...folded shortly thereafter and barely made it to their finals. It wont happen in hockey either

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
K215215 said:
One day, when you grow up and move out of your parents basement, youll pick up a textbook or two, and then read a couple of newspapers, and you'll get an entire new perspective on things.

Oh that's rich. The guy hawking the WHA as the future dominant hockey league in North America is telling us to "get some edumacashin" and learn how the world works.

The WHA will be lucky if it even manages to match the success of Roller Hockey International.

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
PecaFan said:
Oh that's rich. The guy hawking the WHA as the future dominant hockey league in North America is telling us to "get some edumacashin" and learn how the world works.

The WHA will be lucky if it even manages to match the success of Roller Hockey International.

OK genius, here goes. Im not hawking the WHA as the future dominant hockey league in North America, although, there is an outside chance it could be. What I am trying to convey is that a chain of events has been set into place by Bettman that will change professional hockey as we know it. Mark your calander, December 14, 2004, the day the NHL officially died.

This move by the NHL brass is a spit in the face to all of the players. They told the league last week that they were willing to make a partnership to fix the league. They were willing to donate 24% of their salaries for the good of hockey. They were willing to make adjustments to the system that inflated their salaries. They were willing to seriously address the system's problems. The League pubicly mocked their concessions and showed that they have no intention of negotiating. The league wants to break the Union, and now, as a result of the leagues hubris, the Union wants NO part of the league. They are radicalized, they are angry, and they are going to try to find a solution that will screw the NHL brass.

This is a money grab, plain and simple. This is a bunch of rich billionaires who dont care about the game, using the problems of teams that have no business being in existance to justify setting their player expenses at a level that will guarantee them a TON of cash every year.

The NHL is dead. Im not happy about it, but this is what Bettman has set in motion and I do not doubt the resolve of this very angry union of hockey players

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
K215215 said:

And youll feel like a complete a**, because you bought everything a bunch of billionaires and curupt corporations fed you about what was once your favorite sport.

Hahahaha. Don't tell me about your current life. I moved past that stage of life nearly 20 years ago. :lol

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
K215215 said:
OK genius, here goes. Im not hawking the WHA as the future dominant hockey league in North America

Well, learn to elucidate your points more clearly, because that's exactly what this said:

K215215 said:
Can't wait till the WHA becomes the official hockey league of North America. There going to have a great pool of players to choose from, the best in the world. Goodenow will deliver them on a plate so long as the league cooperates writing the CBA.

This move by the NHL brass is a spit in the face to all of the players. They told the league last week that they were willing to make a partnership to fix the league. They were willing to donate 24% of their salaries for the good of hockey.

They players aren't "donating" anything. The 24% offer simply redistributes some of the player salaries to other players. As someone put, it's a bribe to allow them to continue feeding at the trough.

They are radicalized, they are angry, and they are going to try to find a solution that will screw the NHL brass.

Ooh, we're scared. Some players currently making millions of dollars are going to play in Europe or some minor league like the WHA for $50K a year, instead of implementing a cap that won't affect the vast majority of them. That'll show 'em.

Reminds me of when I was a kid, and angry with my parents. So I went to my room and in a tantrum broke all my toys. I sure showed them. :shakehead

The NHL is dead. Im not happy about it, but this is what Bettman has set in motion and I do not doubt the resolve of this very angry union of hockey players

"The reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated."

SENSible1*

Wonderful, the melodrama has begun. All the little temper tantrums over the next little while should provide some great free entertainment.

The PA will get their back up against the wall and will fight. That has more to do with their incompetent leadership and their combative nature than what is best for them. In the long run, the league will start up again with cost certainty and I'll feel sorry for the players that the PA was led by someone who's pride got in the way of doing the best job he could for his membership.

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
Wonderful, the melodrama has begun. All the little temper tantrums over the next little while should provide some great free entertainment.

The PA will get their back up against the wall and will fight. That has more to do with their incompetent leadership and their combative nature than what is best for them. In the long run, the league will start up again with cost certainty and I'll feel sorry for the players that the PA was led by someone who's pride got in the way of doing the best job he could for his membership.

I feel sorry for you and the Jackel above you. You two are sheep.

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
PecaFan said:
They players aren't "donating" anything. The 24% offer simply redistributes some of the player salaries to other players. As someone put, it's a bribe to allow them to continue feeding at the trough.
Yeah, guys forfitting upwards of 5, 6 million dollars of their OWN money that they will NOT receive themselves again isn't donating anything. Bah bah bah

SENSible1*

K215215 said:
I feel sorry for you and the Jackel above you. You two are sheep.

I feel sorry for the players who trust Goodenow to do his job and GET THE BEST DEAL POSSIBLE GIVEN THE CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES. His arrogance is going to cost them hundreds of millions of dollars.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yeah, guys forfitting upwards of 5, 6 million dollars of their OWN money that they will NOT receive themselves again isn't donating anything. Bah bah bah

They aren't forfieting a red cent since their salary during the lockout is $0. At the current rate their salary next year will also be $0. 24% of $0 is, well, $0.

Even if they were being payed they aren't donating anything, merely agreeing that the owners should donate less to them.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
K215215 said:

:banghead: They should implement reading comprehension tests before allowing membership.

I said "The players". Collectively. As a group. Combined.

Further, it's not a "donation" when you are making a payment to keep future revenues coming your way. Paying 5 million to ensure that 15 million comes your way in the future is not a magnamimous gesture.

Anyways, they can enjoy their $0 for all I care. There's not a single player that's larger than the game. I don't care if I ever see a single one of them ever again.

Brent Burns Beard