Westhead: Coyotes' survival hinges on arena deal battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The Manitoba Moose effectively became the Winnipeg Jets. They had infrastructure. The arena was done. The Jets already had a deal worked out for the Coyotes. So that was basically in place.

When the Coyotes relocate, I hope it's to QC. It just seems like a tough timeline right now. It's June. I'm not crazy.

It is a tight timeline but it could be done. Quebec for sure, Portland possibly but some logistical problems with competing building dates etc. We just dont know what the heck happens come Thursday morning when this thing passes & they void the agreement. I just dont know what comes next. How the COG, IA, the NHL react.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It is a tight timeline but it could be done. Quebec for sure, Portland possibly but some logistical problems with competing building dates etc. We just dont know what the heck happens come Thursday morning when this thing passes & they void the agreement. I just dont know what comes next. How the COG, IA, the NHL react.

Killi - you know this is litigious U. S. of A.

A lawsuit comes next. :sarcasm:

:popcorn:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Killi - you know this is litigious U. S. of A.

A lawsuit comes next. :sarcasm:

:popcorn:

.... :laugh: yep. but the language in that statute, pretty clear & crystal clear breach appears to me. I dont see how a Judge would have any patience for an appeal by IA/NHL so then what?... I just dont know LS. But clearly, were about to find out.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Notice:

Kindly stay on topic, Glendale, Lease Void etc... This is NOT a thread to discuss the viability of Portland, Seattle or Quebec AT LENGTH... Keep it confined to the immediate matter at hand. The lead-up to tomorrow nights vote, the results & fall-out Thursday etc. We know what the potential landing spots are. OFF TOPIC to expound upon them on this thread.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Any chance the team could get a TRO?

Of course. Assuming the city votes to terminate, the recourse would almost certainly be injunction relief.

Tindall Severance https://www.glendaleaz.com/clerk/Contracts/8419.pdf
He resigned in April but was providing services for six additional months. It will take a finding of fact to determine what, if any, of those services may be applicable to the 38-511 claim (beyond the appearance that he was involved in drafting large portions of the agreement that were carried forward from JIG)

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
And that probably not as big a worry as people might think. You make due with what you got, not what you wish you got. I could see the NHL shifting them to the central.

Agreed. The divisional alignment is going to be a secondary concern for the league. If QC is the most viable option, they will make due with less-than-ideal scheduling rather than try to rush into Portland.

This is obviously an extraordinary circumstance, and I'm sure a temporary realignment could be implemented as the expansion process works itself out.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If this does go to court how long when we'll see a resolution? A few months next year?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Of course. Assuming the city votes to terminate, the recourse would almost certainly be injunction relief.

Tindall Severance https://www.glendaleaz.com/clerk/Contracts/8419.pdf
He resigned in April but was providing services for six additional months. It will take a finding of fact to determine what, if any, of those services may be applicable to the 38-511 claim (beyond the appearance that he was involved in drafting large portions of the agreement that were carried forward from JIG)

Craig Morgan was citing two sources saying Tindall was not involved with any lease discussion while he was serving as consultant to CoG following his resignation.

But I think you're right on track with the idea that the JIG lease was Tindall's work, and that because the RSE/IA lease agreement contains language from the JIG agreement, Glendale will try to show Tindall was connected to the IA lease agreement.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Gee am I late on the news.

Oh and of course, distracting everybody from the fine stanley cup finals we got. The commish sure is glad... That franchise venture is really the nail in the foot.

But still, I think COG doing this to negotiate modifications in the lease, very simple. No, I don't believe they're gone.

I miss those COG sessions. I recall 2 years ago, when that lady was mayor, it was so fun to watch, members looked like people with nothing in common.

What was the old man name again? Was it Zimmerman?

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Honestly thought my team would be the domino to fall, but oddly I don't feel any relief, just awful for Arizona fans.

Could we possibly see a dead in the water season ala '04 Expos? I doubt there's time this off season, it's already mid June.A one year lease, NHL foots the bill, just so they aren't left scrambling?

Coyotes fans deserve closure.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Gee am I late on the news.

Oh and of course, distracting everybody from the fine stanley cup finals we got. The commish sure is glad... That franchise venture is really the nail in the foot.

But still, I think COG doing this to negotiate modifications in the lease, very simple. No, I don't believe they're gone.

I miss those COG sessions. I recall 2 years ago, when that lady was mayor, it was so fun to watch, members looked like people with nothing in common.

What was the old man name again? Was it Zimmerman?

I think you're referring to Phil Lieberman. And the previous mayor was Elaine Scruggs.

If the CoG is indeed taking this route to force a renegotiation of the lease. They're playing a serious game of chicken that's not going to come out well for them no matter the result.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I think you're referring to Phil Lieberman. And the previous mayor was Elaine Scruggs.

If the CoG is indeed taking this route to force a renegotiation of the lease. They're playing a serious game of chicken that's not going to come out well for them no matter the result.

If the council sees what many others do... that IA is simply sucking them dry before an inevitable move, then literally anything is better than the status quo. Team leaves now? Save money. Team renegotiates? Save money. Team folds? Save money. Team sues them and stays under a temporary lease for one season? Still save money!.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Weeeeeeee're back!

Damn it! Everytime I think I'm free from Coyotes Megathreads, they pull me back in!

So, for the NHL to relocate the Yotes, we're a few days away from it being too late to do it.

So, the NHL finds itself facing a choice (if the vote passes tomorrow);

A: Stay and fight in Glendale, but thus do exactly what Glendale wants. And play the coming season on Glendale's terms at a cataclysmic loss (and in a PR disaster, and possibly ratings and attendance so low they set new records for this once again "lame-duck" team).

B: Run away! Run away! Run away! Fight in the courts for lost revenue, but relocate the team ASAP, before it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad