GDT: Western New York Sabers vs. Raleigh Hurricanes

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
This is correct, but I will agree that it's seemed like Staal hasn't been as effective in the dot as he's been in years past. Could just be that we're focusing on the losses instead of the wins though.

Critical thinker me feels like he's been basically as good as ever this year. But i think it is a pretty common thought among the base that he's fallen off a bit this year.

I think that it all goes back to that stretch early in the year where he lost an inordinate amount of d-zone faceoffs on the pk that then never left the zone until being fished out of the net. It was only like 3-5 times, but it stood out as opposed to the many other 'routine' faceoffs he won.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Critical thinker me feels like he's been basically as good as ever this year. But i think it is a pretty common thought among the base that he's fallen off a bit this year.

I think that it all goes back to that stretch early in the year where he lost an inordinate amount of d-zone faceoffs on the pk that then never left the zone until being fished out of the net. It was only like 3-5 times, but it stood out as opposed to the many other 'routine' faceoffs he won.
He has been worse in the D zone this year than in the past. Below 50%, and SH it’s been 37%. So those are going to stick out more than any other random face off. Could it be an issue or just random small sample size? He’s averaged about 51% shorthanded over the last 5 years.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
He has been worse in the D zone this year than in the past. Below 50%, and SH it’s been 37%. So those are going to stick out more than any other random face off. Could it be an issue or just random small sample size? He’s averaged about 51% shorthanded over the last 5 years.
I think that's the one that's standing out...he's still pretty good/consistent overall over the course of the game, but he's been brutal on PKs. It only dents his total FO losses, but the impact can be much higher in those instances. Or there was won last night where he "won", but we immediately botched the puck and turned it over for an immediate rush the other way, so it was a win that felt like a loss in that case.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Another factor might be other aspects of his game are starting to decline, and so it’s easy to assume faceoffs have as well.

I feel bad for them, but holy shit, is the speed difference between some of the younger opposing forwards and some of our older players like Staal or Burns extremely noticeable at times.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Another factor might be other aspects of his game are starting to decline, and so it’s easy to assume faceoffs have as well.

I feel bad for them, but holy shit, is the speed difference between some of the younger opposing forwards and some of our older players like Staal or Burns extremely noticeable at times.
Yeah it was noticeable last night that we were at least a step slower out there than Buffalo when those 2 were on the ice.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Being faster doesn't always equal better. It just means younger. It's actually rare for younger teams in the NHL to be at the top echelon of the league, and if it happens, it's usually because of multiple 1st overall picks, like New Jersey. It's normal for players to fall of a cliff at Staal's and especially Burns' stage of their careers. The fact that they're just declining some is a good thing for the Canes, especially because we have so many good insurance policies on our team. TDA may well be the best Burns insurance policy in the league, and Drury/Ponomaryov are both well capable of developing into one for Staal. If Burns' 5-on-5 play declines too much and affects our record by the middle of the year, they can just do a quick swap with TDA next to Slavin.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Staal could be pacing himself. His edge data last season was very surprising relative to the narrative. 94/79/79/92 percentiles for top speed/22+/20-22/18-20.
I realize we are focusing on Staal’s age/shortcomings but there was a few times last night whereby those wily vets hemmed in those Sabre speedsters.

RBA has the luxury this year of easing back on SMF’s minutes given the fact that our 4th line appears to have better potential than years past (notwithstanding Drury’s slow start). Coach also seems to be allowing younger guys like Jarvis and Drury on the penalty kill.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Being faster doesn't always equal better. It just means younger. It's actually rare for younger teams in the NHL to be at the top echelon of the league, and if it happens, it's usually because of multiple 1st overall picks, like New Jersey. It's normal for players to fall off of a cliff at Staal's and especially Burns' stage of their careers. The fact that they're just declining some is a good thing for the Canes, especially because we have so many good insurance policies on our team. TDA may well be the best Burns insurance policy in the league, and Drury/Ponomaryov are both well capable of developing into one for Staal. If Burns' 5-on-5 play declines too much and affects our record by the middle of the year, they can just do a quick swap with TDA next to Slavin.

No, being faster doesn’t mean better. It doesn’t mean younger either. It just means faster. And Jordan and Burns have had bouts where they’ve looked like they’re skating in molasses compared to some of the opposing players.

Now, they’re both skilled enough and talented enough to overcome that speed difference most of the time. But it’s certainly something that’s not going to get better as the year progresses and something the team should keep an eye on.

Anyone still thinking about that skate out poke check into a diving stick save from Raanta last night?

I believe one of my packages got on air because of that save. As soon as the puck was flipped for that aerial pass, I had so many thoughts going through my head so sequentially.

“Oh god, that’s a breakaway. That’s usually a goal against.”
”Oh god, Raanta’s way out, don’t get crashed into.”
”Oh, he made the initial save, but it’s right to another Buffalo player.”
”Oh, he made the second save, but he’s absolutely got to be hurt after that dive.”
”Oh, everything’s OK…how far did he skate out there?”

And I quickly created a package showing Raanta went 44 feet out of the net and skated a total of like 76 feet total in that sequence.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
No, being faster doesn’t mean better. It doesn’t mean younger either. It just means faster. And Jordan and Burns have had bouts where they’ve looked like they’re skating in molasses compared to some of the opposing players.

Now, they’re both skilled enough and talented enough to overcome that speed difference most of the time. But it’s certainly something that’s not going to get better as the year progresses and something the team should keep an eye on.

I believe one of my packages got on air because of that save. As soon as the puck was flipped for that aerial pass, I had so many thoughts going through my head so sequentially.

“Oh god, that’s a breakaway. That’s usually a goal against.”
”Oh god, Raanta’s way out, don’t get crashed into.”
”Oh, he made the initial save, but it’s right to another Buffalo player.”
”Oh, he made the second save, but he’s absolutely got to be hurt after that dive.”
”Oh, everything’s OK…how far did he skate out there?”

And I quickly created a package showing Raanta went 44 feet out of the net and skated a total of like 76 feet total in that sequence.

I watched the replay today a few times. I wonder if it was your package, but I have no idea how that works. Either way it was awesome.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Staal could be pacing himself. His edge data last season was very surprising relative to the narrative. 94/79/79/92 percentiles for top speed/22+/20-22/18-20.
he's a guy who looks slow but really isn't that slow. similar to how Kucherov always looks like he's gliding and dogging it out there but he really isn't and he puts up 5 points while looking like that.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I watched the replay today a few times. I wonder if it was your package, but I have no idea how that works. Either way it was awesome.

This was my package (although a terrible quality for it)

Other replays like this one:

are handled by one of people in the truck, though most of them come from a guy nicknamed “Powers” (because his first name is Austin and the production teams like to give nicknames)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

This was my package (although a terrible quality for it)

Other replays like this one:

are handled by one of people in the truck, though most of them come from a guy nicknamed “Powers” (because his first name is Austin and the production teams like to give nicknames)

so I think I saw earlier that Sportsnet's highlight package from the game used your package of that sequence. Will have to try to find it on the interwebs later when I'm off work.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad