GDT: Western New York Sabers vs. Raleigh Hurricanes

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Skjei’s got 10 points in 13 games.

I don’t know that I’d care to go down the rabbit hole, but I think a legitimate case could be made that he’s been the Canes best player so far this year.
He’s been the best canes player by far since 2020 when he joined the team.
Fixed. Best Brady in the history of sports

@super6646

Except it’s not exploiting a stupid rule like the tush push :sarcasm:
This is right

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In OT, Brindy is using Staal like a FOGO in Lacrosse, because possession is the most important thing in 3v3 and he's the best face-off person by a good margin. You saw it the prior game where Staal won the face-off and went immediately to the bench. If he loses it, Staal and Slavin are probably 2 of the best to be out there to defend and try and re-gain possession before turning it over to Aho and Necas.

Hard to argue with results. Canes are 3-0 in OT (4-0 with 1 SO win as well).

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
In OT, Brindy is using Staal like a FOGO in Lacrosse, because possession is the most important thing in 3v3 and he's the best face-off person by a good margin. You saw it the prior game where Staal won the face-off and went immediately to the bench. If he loses it, Staal and Slavin are probably 2 of the best to be out there to defend and try and re-gain possession before turning it over to Aho and Necas.

Don’t they start with two D with Staal too?

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Minutes probably down due to that two penalties Staal took yesterday but SMF line effectively was the 4th line last night :

1699445862126.png

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Like, I thought everybody knew this by now. He's been using Staal for the OT faceoff for multiple seasons at this point.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
So chatfield-deangelo happened, yeah?

Give chatty a long term extension now, per my previous post. (Yeah, they were both -1, but that was really not on them at all.)

To be honest i wasn't paying close attention, but the fact i didn't really notice is a win in my book.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Like, I thought everybody knew this by now. He's been using Staal for the OT faceoff for multiple seasons at this point.
I thought so as well, but saw some comments about it. I think at least one was sarcasm, but wasn’t sure about it.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Yep. In fact, Staal being the best faceoff guy by a decent margin is gravy, and incidental to the strategy IMO. Even if he were equivalent in the circle to Aho, it'd still be better to have him out there.

It's Monty Hall Problem-adjacent - either you lose in which case you have your best defensive threesome out there, or you win and you get to "choose another door" and go switch to Aho.

It's worked out even more perfectly the last 2 games because Staal has actually lost both draws, successfully defended his shift, then Aho/Necas go out against tired guys on the other team.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
that play by Necas to keel their goalie from covering the puck made them keep the tired guys out there.. and eventually score and win it.
I mentioned this during the game that I feel is worth repeating.

Perhaps a one game sample, but Necas’ physicality last night was a pleasant surprise and that element coupled with his usual top skating elevates his status as an important player for the Canes.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don't have the ability to look it up right now, and while I agree that this is why we do it, aren't his faceoff numbers way down so far this year?

But yeah, it does create an interesting dynamic where, even if they lose the faceoff, our 3 guys do a good job of shutting down the attack, and as soon as we get possession, Aho and Necas come onto the ice and the opponent starts hearing the Oscars 'get the f*** off the stage' music.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I don't have the ability to look it up right now, and while I agree that this is why we do it, aren't his faceoff numbers way down so far this year?

But yeah, it does create an interesting dynamic where, even if they lose the faceoff, our 3 guys do a good job of shutting down the attack, and as soon as we get possession, Aho and Necas come onto the ice and the opponent starts hearing the Oscars 'get the f*** off the stage' music.
There are only 3 players in the league with more face off wins than Jordan. He’s at 57% which is 15th among players with at least 100 taken.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
He certainly has, and I think it's a great tactic for Staal to win the faceoff and immediately get off the ice. IIRC though- while Slavin is always out there for that, there was another forward instead of a 2nd D to take the puck up the ice while Staal is swapped out.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There are only 3 players in the league with more face off wins than Jordan. He’s at 57% which is 15th among players with at least 100 taken.

This is correct, but I will agree that it's seemed like Staal hasn't been as effective in the dot as he's been in years past. Could just be that we're focusing on the losses instead of the wins though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad