GDT: West Division Final Game #1. Avs host Vegas. Wedding Party in Denver!

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
giphy.webp

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They aren't seriously considering starting Lehner, are they? Unless Fleury is hurt/sick I don't know why they wouldn't start the guy that was arguably better than Grubauer during the season and the only goaltender to shut out the Avs - and he did so twice.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
They aren't seriously considering starting Lehner, are they? Unless Fleury is hurt/sick I don't know why they wouldn't start the guy that was arguably better than Grubauer during the season and the only goaltender to shut out the Avs - and he did so twice.
Mind games. They play Lehner tonight to throw the Avs off. Jared counters by playing Dubnyk to go beat up Lehner after the puck drops. Both goalies get kicked out and Fleury and Grubs enter the game.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Starting Lehner could be DeBoer’s attempt the throw the Avs off their game a little bit.

They’ve been preparing for Fleury for a week now and I doubt they expected to see Lehner.

Either way... I don’t think it’s a good move for Vegas. Lehner is a solid goaltender and could certainly win, but Fleury is just better.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
The Avs have seen enough of Lehner in person over the last couple of years that it really should not present a strategic advantage. DeBoer may be trying to play mind games, or perhaps they have some internal metrics that suggest Lehner is better against Colorado (or just playing a hunch). If Lehner does indeed start and Fleury is healthy, I consider it more of a case of a head coach getting too cute and over thinking things.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
One of the SinBinVegas guys said there was some talk of Lehner possibly starting to give Fleury a few more days of rest after playing seven games but he didn't think they'd actually do it. Lehner is good but like @dahrougem2 said, much rather him than Fleury.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm really not a fan of waiting until Wednesday for game 2.

Won't help the Avs trying to shake off the rust but will help Vegas who can benefit from the extra day off after their round 1.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Won't help the Avs trying to shake off the rust but will help Vegas who can benefit from the extra day off after their round 1.

It also gives Vegas an extra day to acclimate to the elevation, which is a real thing. The effects should not be as pronounced for game two.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

The Avs have to shake off rust, sure, but if Robin Lehner is starting that guy hasn't played in three full weeks. So perhaps the rust factor evens out a bit here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad