Post-Game Talk (GBU): West Coast, Best Coast?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good -

- Fourth line scores 5-on-5? What?
- Some physical play. Fun to see some old-time-hockey for a change.

The Bad -

- PP's were inept and lucky to not yield a shorty with the game on the line.
- D-zone coverage in general but some sloppy turnovers in particular lead to the GWG against.

The Ugly -

- Can't make up any ground and continue to fall flat in games like this.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Bad - Zero coaching adjustment when Bishop was denying the dump and chase. If there is a similar lack of adjustment tomorrow (Carolina's defense totally neutralized our dump and chase last game), there will be similar results.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Team decided to only play the last 13 minutes. Sadly the refs took away 4 of those 13 minutes.Refs with some amazing bs calls for a 5-3 that led to an automatic goal against this team. Sounds like im blaming the refs but this team cant decide to only show up for 13 minutes and expect to win.

Girgensons and Moulson looked like our best players for most of the game...

Also fire Bylsma, he changes the forward lineups so much its no wonder there was no chemistry. Get Eichel off of the Gionta/Foligno line too, its not working and he shouldn't have to play with those two.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
I thought Bogo - Franson was quietly decent.

Powerplay was junk.

Refs were a joke.

They really need to put this behind them and win the next game.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

We are 9-7-4 with Eichel. Been better with him but not much

I'll let you guys/gals decide which column this belongs in.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Horrible game plan and in game adjustments. The Sabres played a semi-possession game right after GMTMs talk with the coaching staff. So they can play that style effectively.

Why not play that way for one game? You know Bishop is going to short circuit the dump game with his stick handling.

And even if you forgot Bishop was a great stick handler, it takes one period to adjust.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Bolts fans really homering hard thinking hedman tuned up foligno then get real upset about paquette too lol.

Frustrating game to watch but I like the edge and physicality we have been playing with lately.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
They are scoring a goal per game more with Eichel in the lineup. It's pretty obvious it's on one skater.

The other end of the ice doesn't matter?

Of course Eichel makes us a better team, but 3 points in one 20 game sample size doesn't mean much at all considering a goalie could determine that difference by himself.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This stretch is an important stretch and this team is lifeless for the majority of the games, and to me appears to not ready for the majority of the time.

There hasn't been a game where we played a full 60 minutes, and we have come out sluggish in what seems to be every 4 of 5 games.

IMO, the guys that drive the play want to play a more possession game, where they carry the puck in and then decide to play the boards. Instead our coach has them playing dump and chase. Instead of trying to utilize your skilled players, you're killing the amount of time they have the puck because they have to go in and support wingers who are slow who can't win a battle quickly. The play transitions very quickly the other way.

Watching the games makes me cringe when we have the puck and we have to dump it in. You have skilled centerman who can bring it in and make good decisions. The more you force them to give up the puck the less effective they are.

Sorry to vent and if I don't make sense I'm sorry as well. It's just frustrating that Bylsma seems to have the team playing not only a poor system but the wrong system for the guys he has. You want to know why games are boring in the NHL, because past 4th line like scrubs like Bylsma decide to take up coaching and implement ideas in their team play that kill creativity because of some fantasy that they played the game the right way.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
The problem in my eyes is that they come out with low energy almost every game. If they manage to get a lead, they get coached into a shell. If they're playing behind they abandon the dump and chase and start to look better, but if they get the lead or tie, they're right back to it.

Maybe some of us are using it as a crutch, but to me the worst part about this club is Bylsma's "system". It doesn't work. On top of that, he doesn't seem to be a "rah-rah" motivator-type either.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
The problem in my eyes is that they come out with low energy almost every game. If they manage to get a lead, they get coached into a shell. If they're playing behind they abandon the dump and chase and start to look better, but if they get the lead or tie, they're right back to it.

Maybe some of us are using it as a crutch, but to me the worst part about this club is Bylsma's "system". It doesn't work. On top of that, he doesn't seem to be a "rah-rah" motivator-type either.

I'd agree. I don't think this team is as bad as they usually look talent wise and on paper. The fact that we are hovering at .500 is a tease because it's not enough for playoffs and not enough to justify firing bylsma...

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I'd agree. I don't think this team is as bad as they usually look talent wise and on paper. The fact that we are hovering at .500 is a tease because it's not enough for playoffs and not enough to justify firing bylsma...

My opinion: .500 is absolutely enough to justify firing Bylsma, especially when the expectation at the start of the year was playoffs and we're not even sniffing the wild card conversation.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
My opinion: .500 is absolutely enough to justify firing Bylsma, especially when the expectation at the start of the year was playoffs and we're not even sniffing the wild card conversation.

It's very easy to justify that record with man games lost for better or worse...not saying I do...just saying...if I'm tim murray and I went out and got all these guys for my roster and not ONCE this year have I iced them all together it might be justified to me to blame injuries...

Lumpjaw

Feb 7, 2013
Sweden
G: Ben Bishop will not play för the Lightnings next season which means we could actually beat them!

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Only watched the first half, don't have the will to watch the rest.

So tired of opposing 3rd-4th line plugs playing better transition hockey than our top guys.

And you don't even need to mention the team's record to justify firing Bylsma.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad