Wes O'Neill - Opting In Or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
Vincent_TheGreat said:
I don't know how many of you guys actually follow NCAA hockey, Obviously not to many. Because if you view the sites I have listed below its a sample of players already drafted still playing NCAA hockey. You burn your Eligibility when you sign the dotted line, not wheb you enter the draft. Here;

ND - Rob Globke(selected 2002 by FLA) leads the team in scoring 21gp-11g-11a-22pts. http://und.ocsn.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/globke_rob00.html

others
-Patrick Eaves(selected 2003 by OTT) Drafted last year is currently in his 'So' year.

-Thomas Vanek(U of Minnesota, Drafter 2003) currently 'So' Leads team in points with 30 in 22 games.

-Hugh Jessiman(Dartmouth, Drafted 2003) currently 'So' tied for team lead with 22 points in 17 games.

-Zach Parise(North Dakota, Drafted 2002) Probably NCAA hockeys best player, if you didn't know he was drafted and still playing your not following NCAA hockey at all, they guy is on the most exciting line in the NCAA.

-Mark Stuart(Colorado College, Drafted 2003) 5 points in 20 games (click on the link and look at the guys with the names of there drafted teams in the brackets http://www.collegehockeystats.com/teamstats/cc_m)

-Eric Nystrom(Michigan, Drafted 2002) 13 points in 22 games

-Jim Slater(Michigan State, Drafted 2002) Leads team with 31 points in 26 games

How many more guys do I have to name before you guys admit your wrong and don't burn your eligibility entering the NHL draft.

Did you look at the age when they were drafted? I just looked at last years guys and Eaves, Vanek, Jessiman, Parise and Stuart were eligible to opt in to the 2002 draft. All 5 are born before Sept 15, 1984. However, they could not opt into the draft because they would have lost their eligibility. That's why all of them were 19 or turning 19 very soon when they got drafted.

TKLOOCH22

Jul 23, 2002
Nueva York
Visit site
So basically guys like Stafford, Thelen, Hensick, Pineault and O'neill might not opt into this draft and the only top 3 rounds pick might be David Booth and Al Montoya?

Thats not that great for the NCAA in this draft unless some other guys prove worthy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Stafford is an 85, so he might be in.

Travis Zajac is a guy that I'm guessing is headed the NCAA route.

Grant Lewis might sneak in to the 3rd round.

But this year's NCAA crop was thinned out with the run on NCAAers and NCAAers to be last year.

Under the old rules players like Suter and Boyle would have been in this year's draft.

Plus, it looks like this year might be Euro-heavy at the top. At least when you look at the top 10 from RLR and ISS right now.

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Jim Bob said:

Stafford is a late 85, born October 19. 1985. This is his first year of draft eligibility so if he opts, he's gone from the NCAA.

Hensick is in the same boat, born December 10, 1985.

All the others I listed earlier (Thelen, Pineault, O'Neill) are 1986s.

ajreese1

Jan 9, 2004
Jim Bob said:

Travis Zajac is a guy that I'm guessing is headed the NCAA route.

Grant Lewis might sneak in to the 3rd round.

But this year's NCAA crop was thinned out with the run on NCAAers and NCAAers to be last year.

Under the old rules players like Suter and Boyle would have been in this year's draft.

Plus, it looks like this year might be Euro-heavy at the top. At least when you look at the top 10 from RLR and ISS right now.

Lewis will probably get in before the 3rd round. Most likely 2nd, seeing how strong of a player he is and how he has been doing this year.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
I can confirm that if Stafford, O'Neill, or Pineault opt-in to this year's NHL draft, drafted or not, they lose their NCAA eligiblity PERMANENTLY.

AE12

Dec 6, 2003
MI
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
I can confirm that if Stafford, O'Neill, or Pineault opt-in to this year's NHL draft, drafted or not, they lose their NCAA eligiblity PERMANENTLY.

Yes, yes and YES!

The rule is a very poor one, but it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad