Proposal: We're winning all our games but here is a proposal anyhow

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
This deal makes our team worse.
Rather have Horton than Hemsky. Hemskey is injury prone. Horton knows our system and fits it well.

As for the other guys. Why would you give up any significant capital to get a 3rd line winger? No 1st round picks should be outgoing from Boston unless it's part of a package for a stud top 6 forward.

Let's make this easier:

Chris Bourque + 3rd round pick for Magnus Paajarvi.

Paajarvi is definitely not seeing enough ice time and needs a change of scenery. Bourque has some skills but lacks size to fit in with the Bruins prototype player.

If that's not enough I might throw in a guy like Sauve or Caron. But no more than that for a kid who is on a downslope recently. We don't know for sure if Paajarvi will ever be a 15-20 goalscorer again.

Or to simplify it further. A straight up trade of Ference for Parjaavi? Maybe I'd consider it. Who would step in for him though?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-should-pursue-oilers-magnus-paajarvi/page/2

i think if horton was affordable to keep beyond this year then 99 out of 100 people might agree with you that wed all rather have horton.

is horton affordable to keep with our cap issues? if we keep him... who goes to make room?

my proposal says edmonton will eat half of hemskys cap hit. hemsky will cost us only 2.5 mill.

what will horton cost to resign? 5? more?

where can we save that 2 million dollars?

this is why im saying horton is going anyhow... so why not try to make our team better now BUT ALSO better next year too?

i sure dont want to try to get by with caron on the first line next year.

and i think people are underestimating what smid could do for us at playoff time. shot blocking becomes super important at playoff time. will hamilton be able to play 18 mins a night at playoff time? if hamilton gets nailed to the bench... do we want ference having to step up into a top 4 role with boychuck? is that a pair that can handle top mins if chara/seidenberg got hurt?

if healthy... i guess we are ok... sort of... but teams dont always stay healthy. boychuck/ference are ok if used in their right roles but they dont have the ability to step up. we need a third dman that can step up.

smid wouldnt be able to be a 1-2 guy over the long haul... but if he pushed himself for a playoff run i think he has more to offer then boychuck/ference would.

as for your counter proposal... i think edmonton has a dozen guys like chris bourque. i cant possibly imagine theyd have any interest at all in him. they arent going to give up paajarvi unless they get something they need. hes still a very good prospect and some team would risk a first for him.

he probably will get dealt at some point but it wont be for chris bourque or anything remotely resembling chris bourque

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
if you want a all out win now trade this is what you do

To Bos
Iginla
Bouw

To Cal
Bos 1st
Spooner
Caron
AHL defensemen(Krug,etc)
Bourque

Lucic Krejci Horton
Marchand Bergereon Seguin
Iginla Kelly Peverley
4th line

Chara Hamilton
Bou Seidenberg
Mcquaid Boychuk

Ference on the bench

Yeah except two things:

1. We don't have the cap space. You're proposing that the Bruins take on over $13 million in contracts...without dumping anything, aside from Bourque's tiny salary.

2. Calgary still doesn't make this trade.

thepootamis

Jan 1, 2011
Yeah except two things:

1. We don't have the cap space. You're proposing that the Bruins take on over $13 million in contracts...without dumping anything, aside from Bourque's tiny salary.

2. Calgary still doesn't make this trade.

a deal like that i can see happening but the Bruins would have the salary cap to do it as long as they put Savard on the IR

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
a deal like that i can see happening but the Bruins would have the salary cap to do it as long as they put Savard on the IR

With Savard's salarly unloaded on the IR, we have just over 11 million in cap space.

So, we'd need to drop a full 2 million to fit Iginla and Bouwmeester in.

Chris Bourque makes $550k...so someone else needs to go.

Begs the question why former Flame, A. Ference is not part of the deal.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
That proposed calgary trade is ridiculous .. i would much rather risk the playoffs without those guys so we can keep the prospects and up and comers for the future.. rather than have two rentals.. sure it makes us look more like contenders but that a STEEP price to pay for two guys that know nothing about winning .. plus the playoffs have pretty much been a crap shooot .. its all about who is playing the best when that time comes.. no thanks.. id rather be serious contenders every year rather than have the best shot to win it for one .

thepootamis

Jan 1, 2011
With Savard's salarly unloaded on the IR, we have just over 11 million in cap space.

So, we'd need to drop a full 2 million to fit Iginla and Bouwmeester in.

Chris Bourque makes $550k...so someone else needs to go.

Begs the question why former Flame, A. Ference is not part of the deal.

oh if that is the case then i would have Ference be included to even out the money

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
First I have alot of respect for Alberta-O'Reilly and while I don't always agree on trades (who does) I think it too much to single out one trade among thousands of weird trade proposals. Keep in mind that I respect Ryan Lambert Puck Daddy alot too.

I've noticed some things that worries me about the Bruins. We are too small and soft along with the terrible play by Andrew Ference.

I will try and explain my points and views here.
Aside from Chara, Lucic, McQuaid and occasionally Horton and Boychuk the Bruins are not a big team that will put fear in other teams. This has become very clear since Thornton lost to Scott he's not himself. He's not at all the hockey player he was either and it becomes a problem when Chara and Lucic spends extended time in the box.
It's not our top guys who is the problem. It's the third and fourth lines and with Ference playing the worst I've seen him since joining the Bruins I think we to look for some help along the lines of a defenseman along the lines of Braydon Coburn who I really like and there are more defenseman around who would easily replace Ference.
Others in that category are Kyle Quinsey, Marc Staal, tough Mike Weber and Mark Fraser, Keaton Ellerby could be had for a 5th rounder. Someone along the lines of Seidenberg and you know what we gave up to get him.

I have always like Brandon Prust and even though he didn't have a chance against Lucic, who has, he is in fact a pretty good player too. Of course Montreal won't let him go. There is alof of underachieving or big forwards who might could turn it around in Boston.
Matt Beleskey, Tye McGinn, Jamie McGinn, Stephen Weiss, Ryan Clowe, Jordan Nolan, Derrick Brassard, Derek Dorsett, Kyle Okposo, Marcus Foligno, Nick Foligno all in their way an upgrade on the bottom six.
I don't want anybody of the top six fowards traded, no way, and Chara, Hamilton and Seidenberg along with McQuaid I want.

So who to part with? Ference, Boychuk, Kelly (ntc), Peverley (but he's curve is upwards), prospects Jordan Caron, Alex Khohklachev and Torey Krug. Can't see much value at the moment on anybody else, except Ryan Spooner who I'd like to keep and Tony Camara and Cody Payne who I'd keep. The goalies Anton Khudobin, Niklas Svedberg and Malcolm Subban maybe, maybe, but highly unlikely. We would need one back if so.

Can't for my life understand why they signed Jay Pandolfo. Dan Paille and Greg Campbell and Lane MacDermid I'd keep. Get rid of Chris Bourque and also sadly Shawn Thornton.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

thanks... i guess this is a good thing? i do though think there is reasons why this trade would work for both teams once you factor in issues like cap concerns and who wants to win now as opposed to who is still rebuilding. of course, i usually think all my proposals would work for both teams and yet none of them ever translate into real trades so obviously the powers that be usually disagree with me for whatever reasons they choose

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

To Bos
Iginla
Bouw

To Cal
Bos 1st
Spooner
Caron
AHL defensemen(Krug,etc)
Bourque

Lucic Krejci Horton
Iginla Kelly Peverley
4th line

Chara Hamilton
Bou Seidenberg
Mcquaid Boychuk

Ference on the bench

a deal with calgary is very intersting but you have to give calgary what they need too. bourque and ahl dmen are something they have many of.

bouwmeister is having a better year this year but he is still overpaid and probably expendable. he is their third best dman i guess behind giordano and wideman. giordano/wideman are smaller guys with puck skills. so is brody. calgary can use a bigger guy and someone with winning playoff experience. i think boychuck would have great appeal to calgary and he has played in the city before and is from the area.

i think calgary could eat 1/2 of bouwmeisters contract if they got boychuck back to fill the mins and we threw in a pick/prospect to account for the difference in their ability to contribute. Going forward long term Boychuck could become their elder statesman at a controlled cap hit and bouwmeister would eventually be off their books after next year.

so boychuck and a second for bouwmeister subsidized... is feesable imo.

leaving us to negotiate what would it cost for iginla? going rate for impact ufa is a first, a player, a top prospect and something else.

so from Boston... spooner or knight would qualify as a top prospect i guess. someone like kelly would qualify as a player i guess... maybe peverly? the something else could be a kid like krug or sauve or something...

if we didnt ante up something of this sort then someone else will give up a better deal and land him themselves.

where would inginla play for us? top 2 lines currently are set. horton/krecji/lucic seguin/bergeron/marchand. these are better lines then we had when we won the cup with recchi in place of seguin.

so i suggest that iginla would basically replace either horton or krecji if we got him... so either horton or krecji could become the center part of an offer to land him.

a signed horton and a first should be enough to get iginla. would horton sign to play in calgary? Krecji would probably be overpayment to get iginla.

krecji and boychuck for iginla and bouwmester with bouwmeister being subsidized? we then throw krecji's money at ignla and hope he resigns with us or throw the money at someone else in the offseason?

I wouldnt want hemsky in my origional proposal if we are dealing away krecji. to me, hemsky has value because i think he would help krecji.

im not convinced calgary intends to deal iginla. they have never said they intend to deal him. everything they have ever done seems to indicate they intend to keep him. i think its stupid, but until they change their mind... we cant assume hes available.

bouwmeister though does seem to be available and if calgary was willing to eat 1/2 his cap hit then i for one would consider him to be a huge upgrade in our top 4 over boychuck. I like the idea.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

To Bos
Iginla
Bouw

To Cal
Bos 1st
Spooner
Caron
AHL defensemen(Krug,etc)
Bourque

Lucic Krejci Horton
Iginla Kelly Peverley
4th line

Chara Hamilton
Bou Seidenberg
Mcquaid Boychuk

Ference on the bench

Not nearly enough for both JBo and Iginla.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I love Smid and think Hemsky is incredibly underrated around here, and think Ference is a liability right now. That said, I don't deal Horton. Fair offer mostly, but just not the right move for Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad