Proposal: We're winning all our games but here is a proposal anyhow

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Living in Edmonton, I see alot of the Oilers/Listen to their sports talk all day long. I have never been a huge fan of Hemsky for some very bad reasons {I think he is kind of a loser} but that said, I think maybe it might make sense to talk trade with the Oilers and actually I think it might make sense to do a huge 4 for 4 trade even. Here is what i am proposing.

To Edmonton
----------------
Nathan Horton {expendable because ufa/injury history}
Andrew Ference {expendable because ufa/cap concerns}
our first round pick {hate to give it up but i have my reason to include it}
a conditional pick {based on Whitney's performance/whether we resign him}

To Boston
-------------
Ales Hemsky {signed one more year at 5 mill/Edmonton has to pick up half of it}
Ladislav Smid {pending ufa is just a rental for this year's playoff run}
Magnus Paajarvi {hopefully upgrades our third line short term/more long term?}
Ryan Whitney {depth move for us}

---------------------------------------------------
and that's my proposal. I do think that it kind of speaks for itself but there are a couple points that might get lost if I dont explain them. Obviously Horton/Ference as UFA would have no interest to Edmonton unless they were resigned. So, I am assuming they would be extended as part of this deal. I think both guys might be favorable to a sign and trade. Horton does have some serious injury history now and might not want to risk going to UFA. Ference is an alberta area guy who might love to finish his career playing at home with some a talented young team where he could be a key leader. Horton/Ference will probably cost Edmonton less cap hit over the next 3-5 years then Hemsky/Smid would and will give Edmonton alot more size/grit/leadership that Edmonton is sadly lacking.

I know alot of people wont like Hemsky's hit next year, but I would insist Edmonton eat half his number. I doubt Boston has enough room to resign Smid so I do think he would ONLY be a rental. He is a shot blocking machine though and a legit top 4 guy so I do believe he is an upgrade over Ference for this year's playoff run. Whitney seems questionable to me that he can be more then a 7th dman right now until he gets healthier/confidence back? Edmonton needs to deal him so I include him in the proposal mostly as a favor to them. I wouldn't expect him to be more to us then just some playoff depth in case injuries ravish us.

Paajarvi though might be the key to this proposal for me as a Bruin fan. I think this guy could really benefit coming into our strong system and getting a second chance. Put him with Kelly/Peverly rigth away and let their strong work habits rub off on him. after next year when Hemsky probably is let go... a hole opens in the top 6 and maybe Paajarvi has blossumed enough to move right into it? Certainly is looking iffy whether or not Caron will become a top 6 guy.

With Lucic/Marchand/Seguin we have 3 very good looking young wingers we can be very happy with in our top 6 for years to come {assuming we can afford to sign them all} Bergeron/Krecji/Spooner seem to repersent 2 guys in the middle we can also be very happy with. So we only seem to be missing 1 winger to complete this picture.

My proposal slots Hemsky into the spot for this year/next and gives us Paajarvi to hopefully fill the spot later {or maybe we deal him for a natural RW when the time comes?}

Anyhow I know I am poking my head up suggesting this big of a deal when the team is on such a roll. I know that making deals that risk so much chemistry shakeup is always risky when the team is on such a roll.

But the cap is going down next year and I question whether we could afford to bring back Horton/Ference anyhow. Are they really that key to the team chemistry that we cant win without them? IMHO this deal does give us enough benefits to risk pulling the trigger on it. Edmonton might win the move long term cause I envision both Horton/Ference might be key parts of their team for 5 years or more. I have no expectations of any of Hemsky/Smid/Whitney having an impact for us more then this year and next.

Boston is in a win now mold though and Edmonton is still in a position that they need to plan for a longer view. Both teams do deal from strength and imo address weakness. So that's my thoughts. {maybe i can create some mojo by sharing this and get the team to actually bite :) ... or maybe I will just get your scorn for being crazy again?} I can live with it though...

its a very good time to be a Bruin fan. With or without this proposal... I think we are easily one of the top 4 favorites to win the cup this year. Chiarelli has done one hell of a job since taking over. I have not always liked all his moves, but they have sure paid off for the most part. He might do something completely differenent then my proposal here and it might be way better... that would be good too :)

I love trade 'fantasy' and do try to reason my own proposals out. As always, I have written a long post and better apologize before I go to all that I offend when I do that. To the rest of you who have taken the time to read through this, I guess I share cause Im interested in your feedback. So Im done and you get your turn now.

mich25

Jan 23, 2013
If I'm the Bruins I'm not messing with my top line (trading Horton) right now unless it's for an elite 1st line winger and proven consistent 30+g scorer who I know can come in and perform right away (chemistry put aside) because of their pure talent.

Horton is doing well, and has been huge for the Bruins in the playoffs. He is also very well liked in the locker room. His past concussion doesn't seem to be an issue right now and hopefully he remains healthy. Personally, I don't like Hemsky. I have seen him play quite a bit, since my best friends ex boyfriend played with him in Edmonton for a few years. I think Hemsky is over rated and way too injury prone. Just my opinion. He has never scored more than 23 g in a season and in the past three seasons he's only played 22, 47 and 69 games with his goal totals respectfully 7, 14, & 10.

I'd rather keep Horton and resign him then take a 1.5yr of Hemskey. I want a guy that is a goal scorer and finisher if I'm the Bruins. Horton was huge for us in our SC run so I'm not moving him unless I'm getting a better finisher/shooter than him and even then it's a still questionable for me. I'm not sure the Bruins want to mess with the chemistry of their 1st line (who remind you has been through and succeeded in the playoffs before), and trade a well liked player in the locker room. I'm not sure how the guys would feel if Horton was traded and think they may not be too happy about it.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

So if all this works out and we win the SCF our pick would be last why would edmonton do this?

Take away Smid and Whitney and just do Hemsky, Paajarvi and Peckham and include a prospect or 2 from us as well like

Paajarvi
Hemsky
Peckham

for

Horton
Ference
1st
2nd(2014)
Caron
Cross

or some other prospect mix(not being Koko, Spooner or Subban)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think Edmonton does this because Smid is an UFA.

So suppose the Oilers do actually intend to sign Smid and suppose he actually does want to stay? Then its very easy for Edmonton to go to him before this deal gets made and explain to him what is going on and how this deal sets them up better for the future.

I think Smid is going to be a 5 mill guy per year if he hits UFA so I personally wouldnt sign him for that. He is only a rental to us. I wouldnt resign him for what he is going to get.

I wouldnt do it if I was Edmonton either. But that is really up to them. If they do want him, they can have him. If they don't then he is a rental.

I dont think he is worth more then a first round pick as a rental. He isnt a top pairing dman for a legitimate cup contending team.

With that in mind my proposal becomes

Hemsky who needs a change of scenery and is only signed for 1 more year and doesnt really like to accept a second line role with reduced PP time and is injury prone for Horton {who I am suggesting would be signed to an extension} and gives the Oilers much needed size for their top 6 and has cup winning experience now.

and Whitney who is a healthy scratch and a potential big time locker room problem developing for Ference who can be a really impactful leader to help develop their kid dmen over the next 4-5 years.

I think Edmonton gets fair value renting Smid.. wins huge getting Ference for Whitney... and solves a very important team need exchanging Horton for Hemsky.

the cost to do this becomes Paajarvi who is starting to look like he will get his confidence shattered if he stays in Edmonton much longer. If he ends up being a third line guy then he isnt anything to lose any sleep over. Edmonton doesnt need more soft undersized third line types.

I think theres plenty of reason for Edmonton to love this proposal. I think they fill 2 roster spots affordably and get winners in those spots. There is value in getting guys that have won before when you are a young team trying to build the right culture.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So if all this works out and we win the SCF our pick would be last why would edmonton do this?

Take away Smid and Whitney and just do Hemsky, Paajarvi and Peckham and include a prospect or 2 from us as well like

Paajarvi
Hemsky
Peckham

for

Horton
Ference
1st
2nd(2014)
Caron
Cross

or some other prospect mix(not being Koko, Spooner or Subban)

I dont like your counter much for Boston. Peckham is not an NHL caliber dman so we open a huge hole on the D. Hemsky is only attractive to me if Edmonton is eating half his contract. Id rather have Horton straight up if its a 1 for 1 choice between him and Hemsky. Paajarvi is intriguing to gamble on but hes not enough to get our first and second and caron... not in a billion years...

If I was Edmonton and you offered me this deal id jump on it so fast your head would spin but as a Boston fan, id freak if the team did this

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Would love Hemsky, but it wouldn't make any sense if we gave up a top 6 guy for him.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Dude, there are more eloquent ways of making an argument that simply coming out and calling the OP dumb. If you would like to see dumb just refer to the quoted post for massacring the English language.
:shakehead

Leeve the Engish two sum one who nows how two uz it;)

Kaoz*

I wouldn't be happy with anything that makes the Bruins smaller up front then they already are, and this does that.

Horton and Hemsky is a non starter.

Add to the current roster, take no major pieces away unless it's a steal of a deal, worry about clearing for next years cap next year.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Paajarviv , playing for Clode ; humorous

Why is it humorous? He he very responsible defensively and still has untapped offensive upside. It would be a good buy low.

Unless there was something else that I missed that went over my head as to why it's humorous (VERY real possibility)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I don't believe in "change for the sake of change" moves especially since we are winning. We can deal from a position of strength at this point and Chia is no fool in deal making...

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
A bottom feeder isn't going to take Nathan Horton. They'd have little to no chance at re-signing him and he sure as hell isn't going to help them in the (very) short term.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
A bottom feeder isn't going to take Nathan Horton. They'd have little to no chance at re-signing him and he sure as hell isn't going to help them in the (very) short term.

agreed, the deal would only make sense for Edmonton if they got permission to work out a new contract with Horton or had Boston do it on their behalf before the trade was made. Same with ference.

Edmonton needs guys like horton/ference going into the next 4-5-6 years of their own attempt to become a winning nhl team. I realize that unless horton/ference like the idea of signing on with edmonton and agree to it as a condition of this trade... the poposal makes no sense.

due to horton's concusion issues and ference being an alberta area guy who seems to put a premium on family from what ive heard him say in interviews in the past... i do think its very plausable that both guys would welcome an opportunity to sign long term deals to join the oilers and be part of their rebuild

averagealex

Jul 24, 2011
Boston
I don't see enough in that deal to justify giving up Horton and messing up our top line. No reason to mess with our top 6 right now imo.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
This deal makes our team worse.
Rather have Horton than Hemsky. Hemskey is injury prone. Horton knows our system and fits it well.

As for the other guys. Why would you give up any significant capital to get a 3rd line winger? No 1st round picks should be outgoing from Boston unless it's part of a package for a stud top 6 forward.

Let's make this easier:

Chris Bourque + 3rd round pick for Magnus Paajarvi.

Paajarvi is definitely not seeing enough ice time and needs a change of scenery. Bourque has some skills but lacks size to fit in with the Bruins prototype player.

If that's not enough I might throw in a guy like Sauve or Caron. But no more than that for a kid who is on a downslope recently. We don't know for sure if Paajarvi will ever be a 15-20 goalscorer again.

Or to simplify it further. A straight up trade of Ference for Parjaavi? Maybe I'd consider it. Who would step in for him though?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-should-pursue-oilers-magnus-paajarvi/page/2

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Living in Edmonton, I see alot of the Oilers/Listen to their sports talk all day long. I have never been a huge fan of Hemsky for some very bad reasons {I think he is kind of a loser} but that said, I think maybe it might make sense to talk trade with the Oilers and actually I think it might make sense to do a huge 4 for 4 trade even. Here is what i am proposing.

To Edmonton
----------------
Nathan Horton {expendable because ufa/injury history}
Andrew Ference {expendable because ufa/cap concerns}
our first round pick {hate to give it up but i have my reason to include it}
a conditional pick {based on Whitney's performance/whether we resign him}

To Boston
-------------
Ales Hemsky {signed one more year at 5 mill/Edmonton has to pick up half of it}
Ladislav Smid {pending ufa is just a rental for this year's playoff run}
Magnus Paajarvi {hopefully upgrades our third line short term/more long term?}
Ryan Whitney {depth move for us}

---------------------------------------------------
and that's my proposal. I do think that it kind of speaks for itself but there are a couple points that might get lost if I dont explain them. Obviously Horton/Ference as UFA would have no interest to Edmonton unless they were resigned. So, I am assuming they would be extended as part of this deal. I think both guys might be favorable to a sign and trade. Horton does have some serious injury history now and might not want to risk going to UFA. Ference is an alberta area guy who might love to finish his career playing at home with some a talented young team where he could be a key leader. Horton/Ference will probably cost Edmonton less cap hit over the next 3-5 years then Hemsky/Smid would and will give Edmonton alot more size/grit/leadership that Edmonton is sadly lacking.

I know alot of people wont like Hemsky's hit next year, but I would insist Edmonton eat half his number. I doubt Boston has enough room to resign Smid so I do think he would ONLY be a rental. He is a shot blocking machine though and a legit top 4 guy so I do believe he is an upgrade over Ference for this year's playoff run. Whitney seems questionable to me that he can be more then a 7th dman right now until he gets healthier/confidence back? Edmonton needs to deal him so I include him in the proposal mostly as a favor to them. I wouldn't expect him to be more to us then just some playoff depth in case injuries ravish us.

Paajarvi though might be the key to this proposal for me as a Bruin fan. I think this guy could really benefit coming into our strong system and getting a second chance. Put him with Kelly/Peverly rigth away and let their strong work habits rub off on him. after next year when Hemsky probably is let go... a hole opens in the top 6 and maybe Paajarvi has blossumed enough to move right into it? Certainly is looking iffy whether or not Caron will become a top 6 guy.

With Lucic/Marchand/Seguin we have 3 very good looking young wingers we can be very happy with in our top 6 for years to come {assuming we can afford to sign them all} Bergeron/Krecji/Spooner seem to repersent 2 guys in the middle we can also be very happy with. So we only seem to be missing 1 winger to complete this picture.

My proposal slots Hemsky into the spot for this year/next and gives us Paajarvi to hopefully fill the spot later {or maybe we deal him for a natural RW when the time comes?}

Anyhow I know I am poking my head up suggesting this big of a deal when the team is on such a roll. I know that making deals that risk so much chemistry shakeup is always risky when the team is on such a roll.

But the cap is going down next year and I question whether we could afford to bring back Horton/Ference anyhow. Are they really that key to the team chemistry that we cant win without them? IMHO this deal does give us enough benefits to risk pulling the trigger on it. Edmonton might win the move long term cause I envision both Horton/Ference might be key parts of their team for 5 years or more. I have no expectations of any of Hemsky/Smid/Whitney having an impact for us more then this year and next.

Boston is in a win now mold though and Edmonton is still in a position that they need to plan for a longer view. Both teams do deal from strength and imo address weakness. So that's my thoughts. {maybe i can create some mojo by sharing this and get the team to actually bite :) ... or maybe I will just get your scorn for being crazy again?} I can live with it though...

its a very good time to be a Bruin fan. With or without this proposal... I think we are easily one of the top 4 favorites to win the cup this year. Chiarelli has done one hell of a job since taking over. I have not always liked all his moves, but they have sure paid off for the most part. He might do something completely differenent then my proposal here and it might be way better... that would be good too :)

I love trade 'fantasy' and do try to reason my own proposals out. As always, I have written a long post and better apologize before I go to all that I offend when I do that. To the rest of you who have taken the time to read through this, I guess I share cause Im interested in your feedback. So Im done and you get your turn now.

I paused soon as I saw Hemsky name.Sorry,He skated right past Benn other nite after he drilled Jones from behind,Who wants that sissy on Bruins? Your propsoing taking in alot of glass..I have say no thankyou ,sorry but i do not like this one.

thepootamis

Jan 1, 2011
if you want a all out win now trade this is what you do

To Bos
Iginla
Bouw

To Cal
Bos 1st
Spooner
Caron
AHL defensemen(Krug,etc)
Bourque