Were the Blackhawks treated unfairly with the Bickell trade?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's "ignorant." The signs were there for years. Everything from concussions to alcoholism to plain old laziness were blamed. But somehow over all that time they never arrived at a diagnosis that his new doctors did in a matter of weeks. Face it, the Blackhawks handled his situation very poorly.

It's possible the Blackhawks team doctors diagnosed it, but didn't tell the player as that would destroy his trade value.

It sounds harsh, but I wouldn't put anything past that organization.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
**** off. Blackhawks and unfair, huh. Why should they benefit from Bickell having MS? Terrible.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Uh no, they weren't. MS is a terrible disease but from a hockey perspective it's no different than a player being unable to play well (or at all) due to recurring back issues or post concussion syndrome.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
The entire league was treated unfairly when LAK got out of the cap hit the way they did. Detroit did things the right way so it looks unfair in comparison.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
It's possible the Blackhawks team doctors diagnosed it, but didn't tell the player as that would destroy his trade value.

It sounds harsh, but I wouldn't put anything past that organization.

That would ruin their lives if they were caught. Disbarred and sued into total finacial destitution.

Besides which, if they did diagnose him, they could ltir his contract away. No need to trade him.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
That would ruin their lives if they were caught. Disbarred and sued into total finacial destitution.

Besides which, if they did diagnose him, they could ltir his contract away. No need to trade him.

Good point on the LTIR, but doctors in sports have lied about plenty of things that would get their license revoked.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Come now. Don't you know by now that North Carolina is podunk? Or perhaps you meant its known for its veterinary medical sector. I mean I drive to work through dirt roads and mudholes in my 1930s era pick-up truck every day, assuming Farmer Brown's pigs don't escape and start congregating on I-40. It's positively impossible for a metropolitan area with three major research universities (two of which have nationally known hospitals) as well as branch offices of the NIH and several biotech/pharma companies to possibly have top flight neurologists. :sarcasm:

Whoa whoa whoa! Who you calling podunk there pal?

I'll have you know that I just recently discovered that those 'newspaper' things that we usually use as toilet paper in the outhouse actually have words in them, and those words tell us things that we would have never known. For example, did you know that there are actually two Koreas? A North and a South? I bet you didn't! But I do, sucker.

Now if you'll please excuse me, I gotta go. My cousin, err wife just called me to dinner. We're having squirrel stew. Tomorrow we're going out to Waffle House for our anniversary. Sophistication y'all!

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Vancouver never got compensation when Bourbon a top prospect was killed in a traffic accident.
Or the Rangers never got an additional pick when their # 1 pick died in Russia.
Hawks mistake was paying Bickell 4m for one good season and playoff.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Vancouver never got compensation when Bourbon a top prospect was killed in a traffic accident.
Or the Rangers never got an additional pick when their # 1 pick died in Russia.
Hawks mistake was paying Bickell 4m for one good season and playoff.

But they did.

47th overall in the 2009 draft.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
This is a nice thread, I especially liked the Carolina can't possibly medicine part.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Really? MS isn't something that is just diagnosed, there is really no test for it and everything possible has to be ruled out before the MS idea is considered .... It's not like "oh, you have MS"... That diagnosis takes time... Sure, it can be suspected but since there is no test, other ideas are explored....

If it matters the original diagnosis was "vertigo".... I mean it was clear there was something wrong with him, he couldn't keep his balance and would fall unassisted..

I will say this much, I'm shocked the Hawks didn't shelf him when he started falling consistently.

As we are arguing in part about who in this thread knows most about MS the answer is me, so far. I've had it for 11 years.

You are correct though it is hard to diagnose. It took a year to initially misdiagnose me with something else and then another 7 years to decide they were wrong and that it was MS after all. I had no brain lesions for 7 years only on my spinal cord so it was not a typical presentation. As has been stated it's diagnosed by eliminating other causes which in my case took years. I was being treated at one of the worlds besr neurology units too.

It's not all bad news though. I had a stem cell transplant in October and my MS is in remission. I'm not allowed to say cure, but that's more of a technicality.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Yeah the league should help Chicago even more. Like with this Marian Hossa cap circumvention. And like the Patrick Kane cap circumvention of the 2015 playoffs. Give Chicago a chance!

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah the league should help Chicago even more. Like with this Marian Hossa cap circumvention. And like the Patrick Kane cap circumvention of the 2015 playoffs. Give Chicago a chance!

Call me a loser but I think about the 2015 Ducks series at least once a week since it happened. Vintage Hawks.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
It's unfair to put any value on what happened to BB.

What is great, is that he can finally get the medical help he needs. The only compensation I want as a fan is seeing him live a long healthy life.

As for Hossa, the guy was a warrior, but his cap hit now gives the Hawks some much, much needed cap relief that they can use to their advantage. Hossas situation is win/win. Hoss is allowed to retire with dignity while the Hawks can use that cap money and load up yet again for another Cup run.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
1) If anyone deserves the sandwich pick, it'd be Carolina. Not the 'Canes' fault that they took advantage of Bowman giving him a horrible contract and getting stuck

2) This is like that r/hockey thread a few months ago titled, "Should the NHL force Chicago and Nashville to replay the series since it was a fluke?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad